Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Harry's Lap Timer App  (Read 2374 times)

miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:55:04 pm »

I bought Harry's Lap Timer Pro a while back, but never got a chance to use it becasue I soon switched to an Android phone.  Well, after my two year experiment with that was over, I redownloaded Harry's app, now called "Harry's Lap Timer Petrolhead Edition" or some such thing.  Yesterday a bunch of us SoCal locals did a track day at STreets Of Willow at WSIR in beautiful Rosamond, CA, and I finally got a chance to use the app.

I was riding my Husqvarna supermoto which shakes like a paint mixer on too much caffeine so I didn't bother with the video features of the app, as much fun as they would have been.  All we would have seen is vague, blurry shapes and motion, so I'll leave the video options for next time I take my BMW out.

The data, though, is stellar.  In addition to simple lap times it breaks it down by splits (which in the case of SOW, doesn't matter that much).  It shows speed peak speeds in between turns as well as apex speeds at the turns, and max and average speeds each lap.

Looking at acceleration/deceleration graphs showed me something I hadn't expected- I'd thought that my hardest braking was going into turn 10, which it was on some laps, but turn 2 was a harder braking zone on some others.  

Here's a picture of me in the mid-day session, fast group:  http://www.caliphotography.com/photos/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=25359#image=3376769

Three points where two lines meet
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:46:36 pm »

That is amazing data for what I'm assuming is relatively inexpensive track ad-ons.   Bigok

Thanks for sharing.
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:59:38 pm »

That is amazing data for what I'm assuming is relatively inexpensive track ad-ons.   Bigok

Thanks for sharing.

The only cost is the app.  You can get higher precision by using an add-on GPS dongle, but I wouldnt invest in that unless it really matters to you.  For an autocross or kart guy who races on itty-bitty tracks it might be necessary.

Here's a clip a guy shot using the video capabilities of the app.  He's got his iphone mounted to the side of the bike:

Advertisement

expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »

Any idea how it works on unknown tracks?
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 05:51:01 pm »

Any idea how it works on unknown tracks?

No idea.  Most 'real' tracks are already in there, preprogrammed.  It has a feature that lets you create a track, and I may try this on a local road or two just to see how it works.

expatbrit

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:56:40 pm »

No idea.  Most 'real' tracks are already in there, preprogrammed.  It has a feature that lets you create a track, and I may try this on a local road or two just to see how it works.

Hah. my local track is not 'real'. Perhaps somewhat appropriately. I've had a go at mapping it in; lets see how it works this weekend.
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4456

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 02:29:25 am »

I bought Harry's Lap Timer Pro a while back, but never got a chance to use it becasue I soon switched to an Android phone.  Well, after my two year experiment with that was over, I redownloaded Harry's app, now called "Harry's Lap Timer Petrolhead Edition" or some such thing.  Yesterday a bunch of us SoCal locals did a track day at STreets Of Willow at WSIR in beautiful Rosamond, CA, and I finally got a chance to use the app.

I was riding my Husqvarna supermoto which shakes like a paint mixer on too much caffeine so I didn't bother with the video features of the app, as much fun as they would have been.  All we would have seen is vague, blurry shapes and motion, so I'll leave the video options for next time I take my BMW out.

The data, though, is stellar.  In addition to simple lap times it breaks it down by splits (which in the case of SOW, doesn't matter that much).  It shows speed peak speeds in between turns as well as apex speeds at the turns, and max and average speeds each lap.

Looking at acceleration/deceleration graphs showed me something I hadn't expected- I'd thought that my hardest braking was going into turn 10, which it was on some laps, but turn 2 was a harder braking zone on some others.  

Here's a picture of me in the mid-day session, fast group:  http://www.caliphotography.com/photos/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=25359#image=3376769

Yah yah, quote the whole damn thing.  Get offa me.

So I was at the track day with Miles.  We had a lot of fun dicing it up and I think it's fair to say that, for the most part, we were very evenly matched.  What miles lost in terms of outright speed he made up in corners.  Give or take.  Regardless, he was never more than 50 yards in front...ditto reverse.

I was tapping the lap timer on the Monster and was clocking consistent 1:35's.  It's debatable how accurate my tapping was...and how accurate a GPS that clicks times every second.  Meaning, a second is well worth 100 feet.  My point being...the timer is pretty darn comparative to me clicking a button on my bike.

Anyway, the telemetry on the App is huge.  I have it on my IPhone and I'm going to have to tape mine onto the tail of the bike and see how it stacks up.  It was well worth the minimal investment.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 07:53:19 am »

The green dots are the GPS fixes:

expatbrit

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 02:38:45 pm »

Where did you have your phone?

I tried playing with this at the weekend; set up the track as right as I could (for values of 'not a real track') and then shoved it in the pocket of my leathers and off I went.

No data, not once, no matter how I tried. A cursory google suggests that this may be because it was in my leathers and wasn't getting a good enough GPS signal, though I'm sure there's a multitude of other errors and sins I could have committed. Just wondering if you had it working the 'easy' way, or just had a 'proper' mount for the phone.
expatbrit

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 02:39:44 pm »

The only cost is the app.  You can get higher precision by using an add-on GPS dongle, but I wouldnt invest in that unless it really matters to you.  For an autocross or kart guy who races on itty-bitty tracks it might be necessary.

Here's a clip a guy shot using the video capabilities of the app.  He's got his iphone mounted to the side of the bike:

I did find an add-on dongle for $99 that'll BT to the phone. That's still relatively inexpensive...
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 06:14:48 pm »

Where did you have your phone?

I tried playing with this at the weekend; set up the track as right as I could (for values of 'not a real track') and then shoved it in the pocket of my leathers and off I went.

No data, not once, no matter how I tried. A cursory google suggests that this may be because it was in my leathers and wasn't getting a good enough GPS signal, though I'm sure there's a multitude of other errors and sins I could have committed. Just wondering if you had it working the 'easy' way, or just had a 'proper' mount for the phone.

For most of my laps I had it in the bike's tail bag, but for a few (when I rode James' Tuono or Robert's Ducati) I had it in the chest pocket of my riding suit.

I'm going to set up a proper mount for my BMW S1000RR, but my Husky (that I did the above testing on) vibrates so damned much that parts fall off on a regular basis, so I saw no point in risking my iPhone that way.

expatbrit

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 06:33:17 pm »

For most of my laps I had it in the bike's tail bag, but for a few (when I rode James' Tuono or Robert's Ducati) I had it in the chest pocket of my riding suit.

I'm going to set up a proper mount for my BMW S1000RR, but my Husky (that I did the above testing on) vibrates so damned much that parts fall off on a regular basis, so I saw no point in risking my iPhone that way.

Husky? Vibrates? Say it isn't so!

Interesting. I had it in a handwarmer pocket, and nothing. Lots of things that could go wrong with a custom track definition, however.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal