Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: KTM Superduke 1290 - Sport Touring?  (Read 8345 times)

hannylicious

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: None at the moment
Miles Typed: 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:07:00 pm »

I know in the past (perhaps further distant past) others had enjoyed the ride of the Superduke 990's.

Anyone have any good insight into the KTM Superduke bikes?
I have absolutely fallen in love with the look of their new 1290 - that thing looks about as wicked as I could hope for (but I've always enjoyed KTM's stylings - always ridden KTM in the dirt, too so I am a bit partial).

Who here has owned them in the past?  Did they hold up to abuse?  Were they comfortable for two-up?

Right now I've got a 2002 Bandit 1200s that I probably won't be doing anything with in the foreseeable future, but the KTM 1290 is a bike that makes me drool and I want to hear the good, bad and ugly to figure out if I should start piling the money away or not...
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 07:49:48 pm »

Pictures say more than words...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/vafireman21/Super%20Duke/DragonSD-2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/vafireman21/Super%20Duke/RLX_4640.jpghttp://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/vafireman21/Super%20Duke/IMG_1985.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/vafireman21/Super%20Duke/SDR_zps303be0e8.jpg

I have two, a standard Canadian 06 model with 3x,xxx miles, and a R that is track only although the standard did some track duty prior to the acquisition of the R.  In fact, the day after the second pic was taken, I took her home, bolted on the custom saddlebags and rode 500 miles to Ohio to demo RC8's.
Very comfortable, very easy to ride, very easy to have fun on.  Touring, tracking, every day riding, they are refined machines that were built to be ridden.  The perfect combination between sport performance and standard practicality.  
The only downsides...
Wind protection, particularly when it's freezing cold is zero.
Exotic, good and bad I suppose, but simple mechanical/electrical problems can be harder to sort.  The 990's have a few known quirks (as many bikes do), good dealerships can fix them, good owners who are mechanically capable can fix them as well with help of the forum, superduke.net.  
Luggage options take some creativity.  The OEM tankbag is decent though, it expands and will carry 18 cans of beer.
Wheelies, it feels perfectly at home with the front wheel in the air.
Oil changes are a bit more involved and can get messy.

hannylicious

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: None at the moment
Miles Typed: 46

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:04:17 pm »

Nice pics!  Love the bikes.
They've really grown on me with their looks.

How about the ergo's?  How is the forward lean?  I'm not a guy who wants to be on his wrists all day and prefer something more sitting up than leaning down.
At 6'6", I sit in the clean air mostly on my Bandit currently - so being totally naked wouldn't bug me too much (I've read some prefer it and say having 0 buffeting anywhere from a windscreen is nice).

I dig your luggage you got on there, too - looks great!
Advertisement

Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:21:58 pm »

Ergo's are wonderful, tall seat, tall bike, pegs drag at about the same time as the engine cases and exhaust so can't get much lower there.  Bars are perfect with only a slight forward lean.  I can stand up and ride comfortably.  The bike overall is light and nimble, yet stable at speed.  Inputs yield controlled movements, not a lurch and yaw like bikes with crappy suspension.  

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »

I loved touring with my SD

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/STN%202008%20National%20Meet/DSCN0321.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/STN%202008%20National%20Meet/DSCN0356.jpg

Or.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/ESTN%2008/DSCN1002.jpg

this is handy to have for long trips.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/STN%202008%20National%20Meet/DSCN0609.jpg
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:08:19 am »

Who here has owned them in the past?  Did they hold up to abuse?  Were they comfortable for two-up?

I realized I never answered your questions.  This one bike is the only one which I regret selling.  I really enjoyed long trips on this machine.  I found it very comfortable and the suspension held up very well to a little extra weight.  As mentioned, the wind projection for long moments of slabby bits was a bit uncomfortable.  But, this bike should never be ridden on long straight bits anyhow.  Just plan routes on the twisties roads you can find and all will be good.

Compared to another naked sport bike Iíve owned, a Gen 2 FZ1, the Super Duke was MUCH better for me in terms of comfort.

In regards to reliability, of the three plus years Iíve owned mine, I never once had one problem with the bike.  The current owner of the bike keeps in touch with me.  To date, the bike is still running strong.

As for two up riding, I would not think this would be the bike for that.  But, I don't have any experience with two up riding on this bike.

Finally, in addition to the luggage options noted above, Iím not sure if Bags-Conection sport bag system has a unit for the KTM or not.  But, it would be ideal for this bike.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:12:25 am by R Doug » Logged
Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:29:32 am »

SW-Motech/Bags Connection does indeed make bags and racks for the 990, and of course as illustrated above, so does Ventura.

The 1290 should be even easier with the single low mount exhaust.

I toured all over on my 2003 Tuono with Ventura luggage, left my well-farkled and tuned 2002 Sprint ST with hard bags sitting in the garage for years since the Tuono was nearly as comfortable (in some ways more comfortable thanks to upright ergos) and a HELL of a lot more fun.  Only thing I missed on the Sprint when touring was the extra 75+ miles of tank range.
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 05:10:13 pm »

I dunno. I love the Adventure bikes from KTM...but this bike has always struck me as even fuglier than the V-Strom. Every time I look at that "hanging headlight" it makes me think of this...

Lol

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." óAbraham Lincoln
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 05:20:06 pm »

^

I think that is what they were going for in the design.

Lol
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4456

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 07:04:41 pm »

The lack of ABS on the 990's was a deal killer as an street bike for me.

The 1290 definitely rectifies that issue...but the seating position is pure 100% sit up and beg.  It was too upright for my back.   Sad

It was a bike I really wanted to love...

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 11:08:46 am »

You can re-position the bars if need be  Bigok
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal