Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '04 sv650s, '10 Griso
Miles Typed: 824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 07:23:45 pm »

I received the same email the other day as well. Same deal, I don't do FB or twitter, so obviously I don't have the experience or technical expertise to help with their product development...

Meh, we'll see if anything comes of it.

Ditto for me.
If my averaging 30k miles per year on two wheels; mostly commuting; isn't enough qualifications for testing their motorcycle helmet. Then it's not a product in which I have any interest.

--ET

It's only called commuting if you are using four wheels; if you're using two wheels it's called riding.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

vfrrider
Frankenvifferisti

Reputation 4

Miles Typed: 431

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 01:23:15 pm »

Got my acknowledgement letter from them to be a beta tester.

We'll see.

Larry
VFRrider
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 01:36:57 pm »

Other than posting on FB or Twitter, did they elaborate on what they were looking for in a Beta tester?

Looks like a cool helmet and it's stylish.  I'm a no tech rider (no phone, no gps, no music) but this looks really interesting.
Advertisement

GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »

I sent this letter in response to my feelings, and the reactions I've read around the web to the FB/Twitter bit, I'll let you know if I get a response.

Marcus,

Thank you, I would enjoy an opportunity to thoroughly test your product. Your concept presents real potential, especially for those who are always looking for ways to elevate their safety and promote it to others.

I'm quite exposed in the safety arena as a full time instructor of basic and advanced curricula, and maintain a significant presence on several large sport-touring and rider safety forums. I use my gear for safety demo's, and have no reservation about vocally supporting and promoting safety equipment that I have good experience with.

That said, FWIW - I think you maybe limiting the quality of the audience you are attracting to the beta testing with this: "Riders can increase their visibility in the selection process by sharing Skully onFacebook and Twitter". I realize you are in a stage of development where exposure is key, no doubt. The problem you are creating here is that the folks who have the credentials to really give weight to their recommendations, and really solid development feedback are those who are unlikely to be comfortable exposing/promoting something as radically innovative as your concept without having some objective hands on experience with it. I initially saw this statement on several of the web forums I engage daily, and it is very consistently turning the more experienced, industry ingrained riders off to participating in your program. It's also the principal... a riders willingness to promote the product on any level shouldn't have anything to do with their credentials re: useful feedback of a product in testing stage. It creates questions regarding your motives and methods among the very segment where the heart of your market sits. You're launching a product that suggests it'll come at a very premium price point, with a 5 year life cycle - lingering questions aren't a great variable for getting that launched with ideal momentum. At least that's what my 15 years in marketing gut reaction says :-)

Best wishes & ride safe,
GRN

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at itů
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 10:22:32 am »

I just watched the video and, I'm not sure I could handle all the inputs.

Especially when the phone rang in city traffic  Crazy

bomber

Reputation 30

GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 02:08:07 pm »

I also volunteeered to be a beta tester . . . .got the email, and did share the FB page, stating that it looked interesting, and that I'd like to try one out.

If that is the extenet of my whoring, I'm OK with that ;-}, as it is pretty much what I'd say here (though I can understand that others may feel differently).

A controllable HUD in my helmet (turning inputs off and on easily) is something that seems to have great value . . . . . . .

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 09:11:48 pm »

I just watched the video and, I'm not sure I could handle all the inputs.

Especially when the phone rang in city traffic  Crazy

Hell of a thing to miss the car moving thru the intersection because they didn't see me and me noticing something popping up on the HUD. I am not the demographic you are looking for.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
motormike

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 10:53:54 am »

So, I signed up two days ago and received the beta test email yesterday.  For giggles, last night I went out to Facebook and there were more than 2,000 comments on their page on the beta test thread.  Some folks were calling it a scam and one said he was receiving phone calls since he had to give out his phone number that nobody else had.

This sounds a little more fishy that initially, but who knows what is going on.  They may have a small handful of beta test helmets (or not) and are just working everybody for the free marketing buzz.

I didn't go to the Int'l Motorcycle Show this year.  You would think they would have had a booth unless they didn't want the cost or effort and are just going with the internet marketing route.

Shrug
motormike

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 02:52:56 pm »

Oddly, today I'm receiving phone calls from a Toronto phone number about "important information about my credit card".

Anyone here receiving those?
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 07:15:01 pm »

Oddly, today I'm receiving phone calls from a Toronto phone number about "important information about my credit card".

Anyone here receiving those?

Not me.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal