Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: KTM Factory Aux LED lights install  (Read 9902 times)

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3541

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:09:16 am »

I recently picked up a set of the KTM LED aux lights for my 990 SM-T and got them installed a few days ago. Installation was a bit time consuming but straight forward. I really like that the kit does not require splicing into the existing wiring harness and that the kit replaces the original start/kill switch on the right handlebar with a new switch that has the start/kill & Aux light switch. This makes for a nice clean install. With the Aux switch you can set the Aux lights to be on at all times, with hi-beam only, or off. I plan to use them with hi-beam only but it's nice to have the options. I opted for LED for their long life and also for their reduces power requirements.

These LEDs have 3 intensity settings that are controlled with a waterproof push button at the rear of each light. I set them to high and intend to leave them there since I will be using them with my hi-beams. It would be advisable to set them to one of the lower settings if you plan to use them at all times so that you aren't blinding people at night. They are pretty bright but more importantly have a wide dispersal pattern so it would be very distracting to others if you left them on high and had them on at all times.

When I am thinking about purchasing some new farkle (especially pricey ones) I like to get an idea of how it will perform before I spend my money so for anyone else that might be considering these lights I took the pictures below with the bike in a fixed position, the camera on a tripod and the exposure & f-stop set to manual in an effort to supply a realistic idea of how they perform. As you can see they are not a long range focused beam, rather they act as a hi dispersal fill light. This works extremely well for the types of roads I tend to ride. It improves the ability to see the road in corners and also does a nice job of adding light and contrast to the road ahead of the bike so one can spot stray gravel washes and such much better.

Anyway - enough talk - here's the comparison. Again, no trickery. Nothing moved between shots and all three shots taken with the exact same camera settings. After all, I'm not trying to sell anything, just trying to supply an honest comparison. Smile

Low beam/no aux lights - Good light pattern close to the bike with the typical sharp cut-off which can be so troubling to cornering.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Windblown101/KTM990/ktmlight0461024x683_zps95db5825.jpg

High-beam/no aux lights - Decent reach forward and not terrible fill but not great for road surface detail at speed and could be better in the corners.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Windblown101/KTM990/ktmlight0471024x683_zpsfd15fd0f.jpg

High-beam/ aux lights on - Provides good fill light and because of wide beam does a nice job of lighting up hilly & twisty sections where the stock light alone would leave me wanting.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Windblown101/KTM990/ktmlight0481024x683_zps902de4c4.jpg

These are not the lights you want to run triple digits on a dark interstate due to the lack of reach but for getting around twisty blacktop and gravel roads at night they do a very nice job.

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:24:52 am »

Nice! Pics of the install? Maybe adaptable to other brands? Cost?
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 12:55:57 pm »

I never seem to think about taking pics during an install.  Embarassment

In short: You have to access the area behind the headlight in order to plug in the supplied wiring adapter harness and route the wiring for the new switch. Mount the new switch and the two light brackets as everything is going back together.  Getting behind the headlight requires a bit of work, nothing difficult, just time consuming.

Here's a pic of the replacement switch. It's identical to the original factory switch with the addition of the aux light control.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Windblown101/KTM990/ktm0051024x683_zpsa1da7353.jpg

A couple of pics of the lights themselves.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Windblown101/KTM990/ktm0111024x683_zps4d63f923.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e269/Windblown101/KTM990/ktm0101024x682_zps5e133505.jpg

This kit wires up directly to the 990 adventure & SM-T. Possibly the 950's as well but I'm not certain about that.  The kit is very pricey from the factory, around $300.00, I picked it up for a bit less still new in box from a rider that had sold their KTM and never installed them.  Hefty premium for the harness, brackets, and switch gear being all plug and play but time is money and I like the resulting clean factory look. Much less expensive options are out there in the market if one wants to or doesn't mind doing some fabricating.

The fill they provide is hard to appreciate from the pics. But if you take a moment to look at the trees on the left, the trees above, and the trees behind where the standard hi-beam drops off you can get a feel for the difference. there is also a small cross rut in the road about half way out that would not be noticed moving at speed until much closer but stands out much better with the Aux lights on.

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
Advertisement

D2D Rider
Man on a mission

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: KTM 990SMT 2013 Black Orange ABS
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 08:54:25 pm »

Hi,

Great install,  Thumbsup

I have the same bike (colour model and year)... can you tell me what the part number is for the switch

Cheers

Martin
 Smile

The only thing stopping us is the leaving!!
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:50:20 am »

The switch came as part of the kit. Not sure what the part number would be for the switch alone. Next time I've got my KTM bag of manuals & receipts I'll see if the install paperwork has a parts list.

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 06:56:34 pm »

D2D,

The installation instructions list the switch as part#60011074000

The complete kit is part# 62014910033

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal