Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
Print

Topic: Announcement: ST.N now part of Motorcycle.com family  (Read 170464 times)

UFO

« on: November 06, 2013, 11:45:26 am »

Hello ST.N members:

This is a bittersweet day for me.  I am both sad and happy to announce that ST.N has been sold.

Effective today ST.N control and ownership has been transferred to Motorcycle.com and is now part of their motorsports network affording it more opportunities than I’m able to provide going forward.

There is a laundry list of reasons why this has happened.  I won’t bore you with all of them, but twelve years of history is hard to gloss over.  I’ll try to hit the highlights.  Forgive me if I become long winded.  I tend to get that way when I’m writing.

Why?
I started ST.N in October of 2001 as a personal website to store photos, ride reports, and general motorcycle information.  2001!  Can you believe that?  Twelve years ago.  I installed free forum software on a whim to learn how to setup a server . . . and people just started showing up.  I’m still not sure where they came from, or how they found out, but there was clearly a desire for a community that catered to more mature riders of sport and sport-touring motorcycles.

Over those twelve years ST.N became something I never dreamed of, or was even looking for:  A community of enthusiasts who loved to ride fast and far.  During that time ST.N has gone through two rebirths, approximately 60,000 registered members, 3.5 million posts, and 200 million page views.

As you can imagine managing such a thing takes time, knowledge, effort, patience, money, and interest.  In 2002, when ST.N started to take off, I had all of those.  In 2013 I have little to none of those remaining.

People change, and over twelve years my interests and needs have shifted.  So in bullet form here are the main reasons why ST.N is changing ownership:

• Motorcycling as my primary interest has waned.  There are so many things I’m interested in that it was inevitable that it fall down the list at some point.  I also have much less free time to ride than I had 10-15 years ago, which has also contributed to this waning interest.

• I also have much less free time to monitor and work on the site due to professional and other personal commitments.  The days where I would spend evenings writing articles, reviews, or coordinating raffles/giveaways ended quite some time ago.

• For many years I was able to pay for everything involved with ST.N via donations and Google ads, but recent developments at work (which I posted about on the forums) have caused me to think of my family first and re-evaluate the offers I’ve received to sell the site.  This is something I resisted for almost 8 years, but Amy and I felt this time around it was the right thing to do.

How does this affect me, the former owner of ST.N?
Quite a bit actually.  It removes all the burdens of owning, running, worrying about, and managing a large website.  I get to spend more time concentrating on other interests important to me.  I’ll still be a member, with forum admin abilities, and I’ll still visit and post.

How does this affect you, the members of ST.N?
It doesn’t.  All the current moderators will remain, if they choose.  No memberships will change.  The forums themselves will change very little.  Ads will continue to be served, but obviously they will be more directed and targeted to motorsports.  Motorcycle.com has the resources and talent to keep ST.N chugging along uninterrupted.

What’s next?
Well, as stated above things should continue on normally and smoothly with little to no impact to members.  I expect to see new vendors with specials and group buys for members.  And you should expect to see a less stressed out and less impatient member (me).

Dwayn, the new community liason for Motorcycle.com, will be available to answer any questions you may have about the transition and future plans for the site.

Thanks.
When twelve years goes by there is bound to be a list of people to thank.  So here it is . . .

• The server admins:  bsd43 (Nevin) and twist (Gary).  These guys stepped up and helped save ST.N after one of its crashes/hacks.  They’re good.  What would have taken me months to figure out with excessive hair loss (effective server management), is just child’s play to them.  Without their expertise, ST.N likely wouldn’t have risen from the ashes last time and would have died back in 2006.  Thank you!

• The moderators:  Mrs. DantesDame (Colleen), ksann (Ken), Orson, DredheadV2.0.  Thanks for taking up the moderating slack when I wasn’t around or available.  You’ll all remain moderators as long as you’d like.

• To all past and current members.  Some of you have been members for over 10 years.  You know who you are!  You guys & gals truly make the ST.N community what it is, and I hope you continue to do so.

• To all the members who voluntarily organized national and regional rides and meets.  Well done.

• And the gentlemen at Motorcycle.com who made this a smooth transition:  David, Mark, Dwayn, and Zsolt.

It may sound odd, but selling a virtual thing was a very hard and personal decision.  I nurtured ST.N from an idea hatched while riding to clear my head shortly after the events of 9/11/2001, to a site that’s been viewed by people from every country in the world.

ST.N became one of the greatest adventures of my life.  It’s brought people together.  It’s inspired adventure and wanderlust.  It’s created tangible bonds and real friendships.  Those are all rewards in themselves!

See you on the site!

Neal Ulen
Fomerly 'The Skipper' – USS ST.N
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:51:05 am by stnadmin » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

stnadmin

Reputation 5

Miles Typed: 22

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:50:34 am »

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you all. My name is Dwayn and I am a Community Manager for Motorcycle.com and will be joining the site and assisting with the duties. I am here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current staff easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them or send me a message.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with your board staff to help provide the resources and required to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, You as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while staff keep the walls and the roof up in this place; We are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You guys have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this and it’s paramount that we maintain this level of integrity.

What am I here for?

My primary role is to be the technical contact as I said earlier you all built the foundation and keep the roof from falling, I am here keeping the lights on inside. I will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is all taken care of and keep things running smoothly from behind the scenes.

I do look forward to getting to know you all and this unique community better.
Thanks,
Dwayn
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 16 Dr650.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6819

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:51:26 am »

Thanks for everything Neal !  I have enjoyed YOUR site very much.  Clap Clap Clap Beerchug

Advertisement

JReazor

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:33 am »

Congrats on the sale, Skip. I certainly appreciate your efforts over the years.

Thumbsup
livetoride
Just shut up and ride

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 04' BMW R1150R & 2008 DRZ400S
GPS: Livermore - gateway to Carnegie and doorstep of Hollister
Miles Typed: 24

My Photo Gallery

It's not the destination, it's the journey...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:51 am »

Sail on Skipper.. Thanks for the house to play in.

"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart instead?"

-Unknown  Suzuki DRZ400E (cause bein' dirty is awesome)
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:57:55 am »

Well, I'm not happy to see ST.n go commercial, but I appreciate what you and this community have provided for the last 10 or so years to me. I've met great friends here, whom are still great friends to this day. And I totally appreciate your decision, and can't say I wouldn't have done it myself.  Good luck to you, Neal.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
ST1300Rider
Old Phart

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2013 R1200 GS LC, '87 Honda XL600V
GPS: Eastern Slope of the Alberta Rocky Mountains
Miles Typed: 691

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 11:58:17 am »

Skipper, this site has been part of my daily life for a long time. Your efforts are very much appreciated. Thank you.

"In the end, its about the ride. Not the siren songs of the farkles." AugustFalcon on ADVRiders.

https://wendeltrees.ca/wordpress/
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:01 pm »

Dwayne, please... please... for the love of God, Country, Community and rabbits everywhere, PLEASE don't let this site end up looking like the ad-fest puke bucket that so many other "now gone commercial" sites have become. Ads are fine... but when the site is one big ad from page to page, the content gets lost. Please, keep the ST.N we've all loved for a decade as much as it currently is as you can. Please.

Neal, best of luck and congrats. Seems you've got lots of changes all happening at once. Make the best of every opportunity you can. Thumbsup

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: Some sort of KTM
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 977

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:54 pm »

Neal,

Thanks for creating a great place for us to hang out.

You will always be the Skip!

Long Live Chili!! Chili

Prubert
coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 12:05:31 pm »

Neal,

Thanks for creating a great place for us to hang out.

You will always be the Skip!

Long Live Chili!! Chili

Withstupid

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
UFO

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 12:06:30 pm »

Thanks for the kind words (so far Bigsmile ) everyone!  It means a lot.  This decision was harder than most people probably think.

I'm still part of the community, I have no intention of disappearing.  Far too many good and colorful people here.  ST.N will carry on.

Maybe shah & country will return. Lol

Also, if you have any questions or concerns for Dwayn, please post them.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 12:06:38 pm »

ooh! Maybe motorcycle.com would like to advertise on The Pace?  Bigsmile Cool

bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 12:07:03 pm »

Neal -- thanks for all your hard work, but, most importantly, thanks for the friendships the site has helped me find . . . . . truely priceless.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do!

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 12:07:38 pm »

Thanks for the kind words (so far Bigsmile ) everyone!  It means a lot.  This decision was harder than most people probably think.

I'm still part of the community, I have no intention of disappearing.  Far too many good and colorful people here.  ST.N will carry on.

Maybe shah & country will return. Lol

Neal, question if I may... did they approach you or did you go looking for a buyer? I'm always curious how these deals come about. I love the behind-the-scenes stuff.  Thumbsup

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 12:15:51 pm »

Well, at least it wasn't VerticalScope.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
JimWilliamson

Reputation 30

GPS: Fort Collins, CO
Miles Typed: 2486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 12:17:55 pm »

Hello Neal,

Many thanks for having me be a member under your roof. I appreciate the community you started and carried for these many years.

Best wishes with this change in life! Family comes first and it sounds as they will appreciate this change for you being there with them.

Sincerely,
Jim
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 12:21:04 pm »

Thanks for staying independent for so long, Skipper!  I hope you have been well compensated.  Thanks to the admins and mods that supported this great community.  
UFO

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 12:21:11 pm »

Neal, question if I may... did they approach you or did you go looking for a buyer? I'm always curious how these deals come about. I love the behind-the-scenes stuff.  Thumbsup

I've never approached anyone about selling the site.  From time to time (dating back to, oh, 2004-05) I would receive inquiries from people who wanted to buy the site, everything from Joe Blo thinking $100 was a reasonable offer, to legit offers that (at the time) just didn't make sense.  But I wasn't being inundated with offers, just once in awhile.

This final offer was also unsolicited, and based on the uncertainty that came up recently with my job, coupled with the final offer itself, Amy and I decided it was the best thing to do right now.  It also alleviates ever having to really worry about the site again.  It also means members never have to worry about the site again.  The middle years of ST.N was very stressful: hosting, bandwidth overcharges, hackers, crashes, server moves, all that.  It nearly died back then.  I hated all of that...I nearly pulled the plug several times.  There should be no worries about that now.
shil

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2013 Multistrada, 1979 XS650
GPS: Uxbridge, ON
Miles Typed: 906

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 12:25:53 pm »

Thank you Neal. Well done.
james_g

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: San Diego, Ca
Miles Typed: 476

My Photo Gallery

My bike is more fun than yours!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 12:29:23 pm »

Congrats on the sale!

james

...a Japanese manufacturer might take the motor, castrate it to about 110 hp and stick it in a cheaper, heavier chassis with low-spec suspension and brakes and slice an ‘R’ or two off the name. That’s not how Aprilia roll
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal