Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Down
Print

Topic: Announcement: ST.N now part of Motorcycle.com family  (Read 170463 times)

Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2013, 07:48:54 am »

First off I would like to say thank you Neal. This has been a great place to meet friends, exchange ideas, get help, and learn. It is a valuable resource. It has done well under your skipper-ship.

Next, I would like to day I am truly saddened. I know the new owner says it will be the same, but I have yet to see one forum stay the same when it goes commercial, if it stays at all (R.I.P Michigan Jeepers).
What I hope is that this site won't become on of forums where every time the word 'car' appears and you mouse goes over it an ad for 'looking for cars?' appears. Or gets merged into some other motorcycle website/forum run by people  who don't know anything about the subject and if you mention a website that is not under the corporate umbrella it gets removed.

Lastly, I hope the people who make this site what it is remain (or let us know where they are going  Bigsmile )
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2013, 08:10:49 am »

Because I don't do motorcycle.com stuff.  I don't want to see something that I have been a part of since almost the start to do what it will do....become commercialized.

Ok. There are several statements here, and if you're amenable, I'd like to have a follow-up discussion. If you're not, then scroll on by... I'm not having any arguments, here.

I have reasons to discuss this, and let me clear... not one of those reasons involves, in any way whatsoever, defending, supporting or promoting Motorcycle.Com or Vertical Scope. None. We clear on that? Ok, to quote the new Khan... Shall we begin?

Because I don't do motorcycle.com stuff.

Ok, why? And before we go any further, if the answer is simply your second statement ( I don't want to see something that I have been a part of since almost the start to do what it will do....become commercialized. ), then we're done with this point and we can move on to that statement in a moment. If not... let me ask you this: Have they damaged you, personally or professionally in any way? Have they damaged your reputation, personally or professionally, in any way? Have they cost you any undue money, personally or professionally in any way?

If the answer to any all of those is "no", then that closes the point. That, then, simply becomes a matter of taste and opinion, and that's a viable a reason as any.

Now then... on to the heart of the matter...

I don't want to see something that I have been a part of since almost the start to do what it will do....become commercialized.

Here's where I want to have a real discussion. I am involved in and highly invested in a "free for the users" info-tainment venture ( The Pace Motorcycle Podcast, LLC ). We do the show as a means of entertainment and hopefully bits of information now and then. I'm four years into this venture and in that time we have run contests, we have advertised, we have bought equipment and we have devoted our time, money and resources to providing the show. We have good production quality and sound, and that equipment came out of my pocket. We have *** edit *** a lot of ***/edit*** (we're going to keep those numbers to ourselves a while longer and the reasons why should be obvious) downloads each week and that number grows continuously. The bandwidth and hosting bills for those gigabytes upon gigabytes come directly from my pocket. The products we review are 50/50 purchased and donated by vendors. The donations come with certain implicit and explicit advertising hours and dollars attached. The purchases come out of my pocket - sometimes I keep and use the products, sometimes I give them away or sell them at a drastic discount... without ever once being explicitly compensated for the advertising time. A leather jacket is WAY cheaper than, say, a year of advertising.  

The point being, here, is that every free product comes with certain "gotchas" attached, implicitly or explicitly.

What if, after four years of doing the show, The Pace Motorcycle Podcast LLC wants to begin actively seeking advertisers for interstitial audio ads similar to... oh... 99.9% of every other net-casted enter/info-tainment show available by what is colloquially referred to as "podcasting" (a term I have actually grown to hate).

Will I lose all my listeners if I add one or two ads per show? If I will, then frankly I'd rather close the doors right now and never produce another hour of the show. Should I beg listeners for money? Or worse, turn it into a fee-for-listening service? Those both feel very tacky to me. I'm not a big believer in the notion of giving people something for free then charging for that product later.

Yes, ads *CAN* become burdensome, and yes, they *CAN* be intrusive and annoying, but you, as the user, have control over that.

How?
* For websites, you can install an ad blocker.
* For audio or video productions, you have a fast forward button.
But at what cost? If the advertisers see no return on their dollar, they will pull advertising and next thing you know... the site/show goes away, or gets sold to a more commercially viable venture and the (previous) owner sits with a few extra bucks in his pocket and WAY less headache every day. Your product is then overrun with whatever-it-takes advertising and subscription offers to continue using the product, you go away, and the product dies slowly on the vine, lamented by the people who sit around and say "I miss [that product]".

Nothing free is forever-sustainable.

I guess what I'm getting at here is, if you're not paying for the service, then YOU are the currency. Click an ad every now and then. Buy something - even if trite - from one of the links. Advertising, as a thing, isn't evil.. We've got 60 years of television thanks to advertising. It's a tool and when wielded with discretion can build a world and when handled with ill intent can destroy that world.

To sum up: Stick around, give it a chance. If you find, later, it's not for you, then so be it. Shrug

And a note... for those complaining about the weird Russian Bride ads or "Meet Hot Singles" ads that popped up and might have gotten you in trouble at work (my answer there should be obvious ), the ads are context and keyword aware. They're delivered to you by things you've got cached or things you see on this site. The whole Shah thing is enough context fodder to get XXX and R-Rated ads put up all day long if the advertisers had them in the rotation.

Again, you, the user, have the power to control this experience.

Shrug

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
scottzilla

Reputation -56

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8809

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2013, 08:22:19 am »

words.  lots of words.

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
Advertisement

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2013, 08:24:09 am »

words.  lots of words.

They're good for you, Scott. I promise.

Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12394

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2013, 09:40:21 am »

Knew this was going to happen eventually; a matter of 'not if but when'.  OTOH it's like going to your longtime favorite neighborhood coffee shop and finding a "Starbucks" sign over the door.  

I'll join in thanking you, Neal, for creating and fostering this board.  I understand business is business.

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
stnadmin

Reputation 5

Miles Typed: 22

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2013, 09:43:14 am »

So, will STN simply be merged into these forums with all of the past threads moved?

http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/

Will we keep our same user names and passwords or will we need to re-register?

For post ho members, will our post count be reset?

Finally, what will happen to the images uploaded to the member's Photo Gallery?

Thanks.  

Everything would stay as is. You wound not need to re-register. Post counts would not be changed.

Dwayn
stnadmin

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2013, 09:44:59 am »

So Dwayn, tell us a little about yourself.   What motorcycles do you own/have you owned?  What's your riding experience?  Where have you ridden?

I have been interested in many motorcycles in the past but have not pulled the trigger on any of them . Therefore I do not ride.

Dwayn
stnadmin

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:19 am »

When will the rates below be implemented?  (Seems to be on all other VS sites...which now own S-T.n)

Not that it matters, I donated to STN in the past and would probably pay if it gets me out of any ads....

This is different software. Every site is different. This is not on all of our sites and the ones it is on it varies.

This would not be here. I am not sure right now if this is something that would be added down the road.

Dwayn
stnadmin

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:39 am »

I'll try to answer these, and if I'm wrong just correct me Dwayn.

The forum will not merge.  ST.N will remain ST.N

Thus same user names, same post counts, images in the Photo Gallery remain.  Etc.

You are correct Neal.

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2013, 09:51:55 am »

I have been interested in many motorcycles in the past but have not pulled the trigger on any of them . Therefore I do not ride.

Dwayn

Just keep in mind that this a site full of some of the most passionate enthusiasts you'll ever meet. Tread lightly amongst the beasts. Smile

motormike

Reputation 31

Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2013, 10:07:27 am »

Just keep in mind that this a site full of some of the most passionate cat and Moto Guzzi enthusiasts you'll ever meet. Tread lightly amongst the beasts. Smile

Fixed.
Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:33 am »

To sum up: Stick around, give it a chance. If you find, later, it's not for you, then so be it. Shrug

Again, you, the user, have the power to control this experience.

I will stick around, but this is the feeling I get:

All new owner/admins say these things above, and then they have reasons why they can't stick to them (which are mostly legit, it is business) and the whole forum that they spent all this cash on becomes not what they bought, but something else. Some leave, some new come in, sometimes it is a new successful thing, sometimes it just goes away. I will watch what happens, and hope I am wrong.

Question for the new stnadmin:
What will happen to posts that link to a thread on the FJRforum or ADVrider?
If I post that the seat from foamass.com is better than the advertiser buttbuddy.com will my post be nuked?

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2013, 11:49:23 am »

Everything would stay as is. You wound not need to re-register. Post counts would not be changed.

Dwayn

Thanks for the follow up.   Thumbsup
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4519

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »

This thread is starting to make me feel depressed.  Sad  maybe it's starting to sink in.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2013, 12:41:04 pm »

Question for the new stnadmin:
What will happen to posts that link to a thread on the FJRforum or ADVrider?
If I post that the seat from foamass.com is better than the advertiser buttbuddy.com will my post be nuked?

:popcorn:

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2013, 12:45:51 pm »

All new owner/admins say these things above, and then they have reasons why they can't stick to them (which are mostly legit, it is business) and the whole forum that they spent all this cash on becomes not what they bought, but something else.  Some leave, some new come in, sometimes it is a new successful thing, sometimes it just goes away.  I will watch what happens, and hope I am wrong.

I too sincerely hope that you are wrong, Max.   But I agree with you.  Unfortunately, that is the cycle of business life.   It's one of those truisms, similar to "Name one merger that didn't result in mass layoffs and higher prices."  

And yet--after the inevitable happens and STN becomes a hollow shell--some maverick will crank up a new site called, say, Sport Touring Farkled Up to fill the void.  The site will be privately owned and attract a swarm of members.  It will be vital and crackle with energy.  Friendships will be made across long distances.  Mrs. DantesDame will post Ride Reports from her new home in Australia or Bali or some such.  Happiness will spread throughout the motorbiking community.

Then we can all STFU until that site is sold to Amazon.

And the cycle begins again.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2013, 12:49:24 pm »

I too sincerely hope that you are wrong, Max.   But I agree with you.  Unfortunately, that is the cycle of business life.   It's one of those truisms, similar to "Name one merger that didn't result in mass layoffs and higher prices."  

And yet--after the inevitable happens and STN becomes a hollow shell--some maverick will crank up a new site called, say, Sport Touring Farkled Up to fill the void.  The site will be privately owned and attract a swarm of members.  It will be vital and crackle with energy.  Friendships will be made across long distances.  Mrs. DantesDame will post Ride Reports from her new home in Australia or Bali or some such.  Happiness will spread throughout the motorbiking community.

Lol

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
DJ_Fission

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2012 BMW R1200R
GPS: Council Bluffs, IA
Miles Typed: 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2013, 12:52:45 pm »

Thank you for creating this site, and good luck in the other interests you mentioned. Smile

Member of: BMW Motorcycle Owners of Northeast Florida; BMWMOA; BMWRA
IBA Member #55835
"Hell is lit by nuclear power."
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 16 Dr650.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6819

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2013, 12:55:09 pm »

... amazing what Google finds  Lol
Mr.Black

Reputation 153

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2013, 01:47:04 pm »

This thread needs a goat.

Sig lines used to be fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal