Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Which direction to South America?  (Read 3674 times)

DaneBramage

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: None yet
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:39:28 pm »

Hey STN!

I think the easiest way for me to do this is start with the end and then we can work our way to that. A while ago, my brother and I started putting together a dream itinerary for a trip around South America. A week ago I showed it to my parents, and they said if I included them, they'd put in as much time, money and effort as it took to convince me to take them along.

I've never ridden a motorcycle before, and as far as I know neither have they. I've done some cycling tours, and I've seen plenty of families touring around the Beartooth pass and such. And I've read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. That's about the extent of it. But all of those things convinced me that seeing South America from the seat of a bike would be much more memorable than crammed in a compact car or stuck in a variety of bus seats.

Since I'm assuming you can't (shouldn't!) show up at the rental office in Puntas Arenas with no hours on a motorcycle and expect to be able to rent two (four?) bikes, I figure I should have a plan of action to prepare us for it. So far these are the steps I've come up with:
1. Take a motorcycle safety class. That's about the most important thing I think I've gleaned from the forums so far.
2. Buy a used bike as close as possible to the ones we'd be renting in S.A. Ride it every weekend/as much as possible in the summer with my brother. Learn what makes it tick, fix what breaks and keep it running smoothly.
3. Buy a bike from parts and make my brother and motocross buddies help me bring it to a working condition.
4. Drive both bikes cross-country to my parents for a longer practice tour during the summer. Leave one with them to practice their riding and touring skills.
5. ???
6. PROFIT!!!  Lol
7. Go to South America.

I have many many questions, but don't worry, I'll troll the forums before I ask all of them. So the main ones are:
Are any of these steps in the right direction / Should I be taking a different tack?
How long should I expect the preparation/learning/practice process to take? Am I too optimistic to think this can all happen by winter 2014? 2015? 2020? Nuclear winter of 2058?
Thanks in advance for any direction and advice!

DaneBramage
edited for a better attention-grabbing name.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2 VFRs & a GTS
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2850

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 11:38:35 pm »

I once had a cat named Dain Bramage.

You don't give us much background on yourself so giving advice on this will be a crapshoot at best.

I didn't start riding seriously until I was in my mid 30s. I had been a professional driver for 15 years at that point so that gave me a leg-up on traffic management. All I had to do was translate my driving experience to the bike right? Should be easy.....

I am still alive despite starting on a 600SS so I guess I didn't do too bad. Classes are a good idea. The extent of my pre-license education was going to the DMV during off hours, and practicing the ride test.

I had a few good pucker moments on that old 600 over the next 10 years, but I treated her with respect, and she taught me well. I read as much as I could about riding technique, and practiced as much as possible. I then moved to a litre bike which I promptly crashed at high speed. Luckily she sustained all the damage.

I replaced that bike with my current bike (BTW is the one I wanted all along) took a class, and now feel more confident yet more humble than ever. I need to take more classes. I continue to practice what I've learned. The more I know the more I realize I don't know.

If you're gonna go for it don't let me (or anyone else) stop you. Just be aware at all times, enjoy yourself, and to quote Dirty Harry: A man has got to know his limitations.
Mr.Black

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:25 am »

I like stories

Sig lines used to be fun.
Advertisement

alicia

Reputation 0

Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 12:04:24 am »

Nice stroy.Bump up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal