Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Tell me about the S3T  (Read 2241 times)

CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:13:37 am »

I have a trade opportunity for a 99 S3T (fuel injected) that I'm giving some consideration. Seems to tick the boxes of different from the Strom and a hoot to ride. Immediate down side for me is that there was never a top box for that, so I'd need to rig up a way to mount the givi to it. What are the big considerations regarding the bike? How is comfort for some coming in at 6'4"? Parts shouldn't be too much of a problem, at least as far as engine components, but what about air filters and the like? Is stuff like that unique to the bike, or is there likely to be a good supply for a while? Thanks.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:20:43 am »

No one?

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:59:26 am »

I'd ask around at badweb/bad weather bikes/buell forums. I always liked the Buell STs. Never managed to buy one, though.

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Advertisement

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:02:52 pm »

Talk with Matt on here. Mastros2. He had a Tuber. Also, I think Bomber can help.

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:44:25 pm »

I think this is going to be a no go. The lock for the seat is directly behind it, so would be covered by any attempt to mount a top case. Ah well.

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 04:01:10 pm »

hmmm... might be surprised. the Honda 919 is that way and it works out. You might could also relocate the lock. They're usually just actuated by a cable, anyway.
`

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:34:22 pm »

I hate this software . . . . let's you type a useful, spell checked post, and THEN kicks you out.

Got to badweb, for certain.

Also, engine parts are not problem.

Wheel bearings can be sourced from a commerical bearing place (thay can be problematic in tubers).

Score a spare set of the rubber bisquits that hand the engine form the frame. One is a stock HD part, but the other two are Buell specific . . . . .I'd seal em up tight and store em out of light.

Can't help ya with the lock relocation, though I'm sure it is doable -- perhaps easilhy, perhaps not.

The FI was wonky on some bikes when new -- a test ride will tell you if it is squared away.

Tail trunk has me a buit leery though.

Tubers were very sensitive to tire pressure, suspension settings, worn suspension bearings and the like -- 3 or 4 pounds of pressure would transform the bike from a sweet handling backroad scratcher to a lumber wagon. For this reason, I wonder what a tail truck might do to the handling (aero-speaking). Buell spent a lot of effort making sure it handled well with the bag . . . . terra ingocnito with the tail trank (not say you will have an exploding head, just something to beware of).

Oh, and go over the fuel tank with a fine tooth comb. Bubbles in the paint? You'll never be able to get rid of em. And yhou'd best like the existing color, as the number of successful repaint jobs were counted on a hand or two (no shoe removal required).

Hope this helps.

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:10 pm »

Very helpful, thanks. I've got a trade feelers on an 919 and FZ1. Sounds like either of those might be the better way to go.

bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 03:35:27 pm »

Tubers can be a bit high maintenance . . . . .many find it a worthwhile relationship ;-}

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 09:57:25 pm »

I'm married. That's all the high maintenance I need.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal