Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Help - Purchasing a 2010 Suzuki GSX 1250 Fa  (Read 6453 times)

noelk1200

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW 1200 GS
GPS: South West Scotland
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:02:22 pm »

Hi all (new to this) I have put a deposit down on a GSX 1250 fa (2010). I am just wondering if there are any known issues or anything i should be looking out for before purchase and on inspection / test ride.  Also all you buyers out there because Ive sold my bike, how much discount should you aim to get with no p/exchange and a cash sale with an Independent Dealer??
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:12:53 pm »

I don't know of any 'known' issues other than there was a batch in 2011 that mine was in that the throttle body intake flanges, which are slightly asymmetrical, coming from the factory were installed upside down. This leads to some fuel leakage, in not a great place or great times for fuel to leak. Have a dealer confirm that they were installed correctly (they are marked), and have them replaced if they are wrong. If they were put on wrong, they will have distorted and will not fit properly by simply being flipped over.

Likely mods:
sargent saddle seems to be a universal winner over the otherwise shitty stock bit
MRA vario touring screen or like to manage open road air flow
mirro extenders if your not a pencil
heated grips - oxford sport or touring variants seem to work well and hold up well
if your going to add pans, the Gigi's (V35?) fit on the same rack as the OE, and they have better usable capacity (will fit most FF helmets) and better hardware.

Other than that... fuel, fluids and tires... go RIDE!

It's a great block and tackle ST bike, enjoy!

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2864

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:32 pm »

watch out for the gravitationally challenged front end on those bikes

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
Advertisement

noelk1200

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:32:03 pm »

Thanks guys, gravitationally challenged....does that mean its handling is quite vacant or its quite easy to get up on the front wheel??  Im moving on from a R1200 GS.

GRN thanks for the tips on the mods, i have heard that the seat is a bit hard on the old behind after a while.  Whats the best exhaust option as i think that big Bazooka will be the first thing to go...
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2864

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:36:20 pm »

Thanks guys, gravitationally challenged....does that mean its handling is quite vacant or its quite easy to get up on the front wheel??  Im moving on from a R1200 GS.

the latter - torque o plenty way down low - surprising

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
noelk1200

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 03:38:52 pm »

Cool!!!! come to me torque.... EEK!
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 03:56:08 pm »

GRN thanks for the tips on the mods, i have heard that the seat is a bit hard on the old behind after a while.  Whats the best exhaust option as i think that big Bazooka will be the first thing to go...

Don't immediately discount the big bazooka... as many will attest, the low end torque of that mill, with factory tune and OE bits in place, is the shiny coin in the cup. Great gobs of very well mannered, smooth, endlessly usable torque through an exceptional range of RPM's. Aftermarket pipe options are going to be tuned for less back pressure, more peak HP/top speed, which will detract from the low end torque. That, and you'll have to manufacture a stop for the center stand, as it's built into the OE, and not the aftermarket options (or at least those I looked at). Forget the #'s, go ride it for a while before you throw $'s in that direction IMO. I'm glad I didn't make that mod... runs like a champ, and quiet IS the new cool ;-)

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
noelk1200

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:38:32 pm »

Good advice, I do like a centre stand and wouldnt want to use the torque which everybody rants and raves about with the 1250.  Ill not rush in and this was exactly why i joined the forum to get advice from people like you who know the score...thanks
Canuck

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor
GPS: Saskatchewan Canada
Miles Typed: 786

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 08:03:56 pm »

I have the 2008 SEA version with lower fairing and hard bags that came before the GSX. I agree with all the suggested mods. I did the Sargent seat and MRA vario screen too. After four years and 50,000 km (30,000 miles) I did put in new fork springs and steel braided brake lines, but I really saw those more as maintenance items. I really like mine. It's taken me on lots of long trips, and I'll probably ride it for a couple more years before I look for something new. I can't think of any known issues either.

"Just like the sky, the road never ends." R. L. Castleman, Gravity
mp350

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda NX 250/ Suzuki GSX650F
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 10:39:30 am »

I have an 08 GSX650f, that shares most parts with the GSX1250f. On the windscreen most find the stock to work the best ( still not great ). I have the 1250 seat on mine which I am able to ride all day with. My mods are forward mounted foot pegs, 1" up 1" back bar risers, sharkskin grips and throttle lock. Mods that are not for comfort are ram mount, 12 volt outlet, better headlight bulbs, extra led driving lights, muffler, top case and 16 tooth front sprocket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal