Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: TDM / FJR900  (Read 14188 times)

FJinMN

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Two 1985 Yamaha FJ1100s, one 1987 Yamaha FJ1200, and a 1981 Kawasaki GPz1100
Miles Typed: 75

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »

Found the following via a comment at MotorcycleDaily.com

Concept only, but food for thought...

http://motorcyclesky.blogspot.ca/2013/07/three-cylinder-yamaha-tdm-concept-by-luca-bar.html
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

zrx4me

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: bandit 1200s,DRZ400SM
GPS: winter springs,FL.
Miles Typed: 32

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 05:47:09 pm »

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/03/03/manufacturers/yamaha/yamaha-files-trademark-application-fj-09/

'05 suzuki bandit 1200s,07 DRZ400SM
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:52:36 pm »

Needs a belt. Wink

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Advertisement

Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 08:05:47 pm »

That FJ-09 WOULD be my next bike. no question

5 gallon tank MINIMUM Yamaha! You listnening???? Lol Twofinger
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: VFR1200, CB500X
Miles Typed: 552

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 11:30:40 am »

...and suspension/handling at least as good, but hopefully better than a VFR800.

I can be found on any twisty backroad in SE OH or WV.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:00:27 pm »

...wishing for the TDM/Super Ten version myself, hopefully without a neutered engine. The existing Super Ten is just too much of a behemoth.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Grainbelt

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: FZ6
GPS: Minnyhappiness
Miles Typed: 486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 02:33:13 pm »

I'd be all over it.

Their FZ-09 pricing has be believing they could make a VFR fighter at or below ten grand.
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 08:08:44 pm »

I'd be all over it.

Their FZ-09 pricing has be believing they could make a VFR fighter at or below ten grand.

They could, but nobody would buy what they would offer for that price. Plastic, pans, ABS/TCS, beefier rear subframe and extra cooling needed to compensate for lost air flow will push it past that, go up from there if they add a shaft and electric screen and CC.

It does seem they are positioning themselves to take a run at BMW, more so than any of the other Japs anyway.

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
Silverbird

Reputation 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 01:02:57 am »

If this happens and Yamaha gets it right (no reason to think they won't) Honda shouldn't even bother making the VFR800 anymore 'cause nobody is gonna give a crap about it.
Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 09:59:54 am »

As much hype as there is about the VFR800 re-introduction, I'm not sure there is much of a market for a $12-13k 782cc sport tourer that weighs more than a litre bike equivalent.

I doubt Yamaha will make the same mistake.  My guess is FJ-09 will be priced right around 10k, probably undercut FZ1's MSRP, like the FZ-09 did to the FZ8.  One of the Yamaha's publicly stated goals for going with the triple is to reduce parts count and mfg cost, in order to reduce MSRP.  I doubt Yami will position the FJ-09 as a "premium" middleweight ST like Honda is doing with the '14 VFR800.
Grainbelt

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:06:07 am »

Plastic, pans, ABS/TCS, beefier rear subframe and extra cooling needed to compensate for lost air flow will push it past that, go up from there if they add a shaft and electric screen and CC.

ABS and the fairing/rear subframe, sure.

I doubt they'll add all the other goodies, that is the FJR1300's territory. Particularly shaft drive, I don't see that happening.

FJRider
My Preferred Pronouns are I/Told/You/So

Reputation 1755

GPS: Drifting through the Driftless
Miles Typed: 634

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 04:28:13 pm »

From a marketing perspective Yamaha would be smart to leverage the development costs of the FZ-09 and create smaller class of bikes they already sell. FJR09, R09, Tenere' 09.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." -- Leo Tolstoy
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 04:37:44 pm »

From a marketing perspective Yamaha would be smart to leverage the development costs of the FZ-09 and create smaller class of bikes they already sell. FJR09, R09, Tenere' 09.

There's a lot to be said for the cache that certain of the names carry. And a platform will *always* save money over one-offs in manufacturing.

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
FJRider

Reputation 1755

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 06:35:49 pm »

There's a lot to be said for the cache that certain of the names carry. And a platform will *always* save money over one-offs in manufacturing.

Yup, platforms save a lot of money in manufacturing. The supply chain is simpler, You have fewer vendors. You can buy in bigger quantities to get better pricing and terms. I wouldn't be surprised if the vendors stock the Yamaha factories on consignment and have a net 90 day payment term after the component has been kanban pulled from vendor managed consignment inventory. Yamaha must be very smart with its supply chain in order to manufacture and sell, at a profit, a FZ-09 for less than $7300 to the dealers. Especially given the high burden (labor costs, fixed asset costs, high energy costs, etc.) in Japan.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." -- Leo Tolstoy
Kneescrubber
King of the 90º flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 08:54:39 pm »

...and suspension/handling at least as good, but hopefully better than a VFR800.

That wouldn't be hard to do. Seriously.

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
Silverbird

Reputation 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 09:29:34 pm »

As much hype as there is about the VFR800 re-introduction, I'm not sure there is much of a market for a $12-13k 782cc sport tourer that weighs more than a litre bike equivalent.

I doubt Yamaha will make the same mistake.  My guess is FJ-09 will be priced right around 10k, probably undercut FZ1's MSRP, like the FZ-09 did to the FZ8.  One of the Yamaha's publicly stated goals for going with the triple is to reduce parts count and mfg cost, in order to reduce MSRP.  I doubt Yami will position the FJ-09 as a "premium" middleweight ST like Honda is doing with the '14 VFR800.

That would be a shame because if they budget it out like they did the FZ-09 it's going to have some serious deal-breakers for some people
Roadscum

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '15 BMW R12R, '12 Vespa 300', '15 BMW GSA, '13 BMW F800GT (in Europe)
GPS: SW Florida
Miles Typed: 481

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 10:23:19 pm »

That would be a shame because if they budget it out like they did the FZ-09 it's going to have some serious deal-breakers for some people

All bikes are designed to a price point to attract a specific segment of the market.... and so as not to cannibalize sales of other bikes. It's a difficult balancing act but the successful manufactures have mastered it....... Or they won't be in business long. sSometimes we forget that America is not the major market for Japanese or European motorcycle manufactures.

Bottom line..... In Yamaha we trust!

Paul

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 07:23:36 am »

That wouldn't be hard to do. Seriously.

+1

The VFR is a fine bike, but like most bikes you can buy, it's less than awesome in the suspension department, as built stock. Fortunately, it's easily and cheaply upgradeable.

Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 07:25:48 am »

All bikes are designed to a price point to attract a specific segment of the market.... and so as not to cannibalize sales of other bikes. It's a difficult balancing act but the successful manufactures have mastered it....... Or they won't be in business long. sSometimes we forget that America is not the major market for Japanese or European motorcycle manufactures.

Bottom line..... In Yamaha we trust!

Paul

In that regard, the pricing on the new RS400 UJM baffles me. $6000 for what is, essentially, the exact same bike as Suzuki's TU250X, with 150cc bump and absolutely nothing else to set it apart. IMO, on an early 70s bike, $1500 does NOT reflect a 150cc bump on a bike in that class.

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 09:32:03 am »

+ 1  Sport-tourers are more serious about their bikes than naked riders - because they demand more from the bikes.
I wouldn't mind if they 'budget it out' ONLY IF they make a good catalog of options.
One thing H-D understands that the others could learn; even riders of a given genre', want to 'personalize' their bike to make it theirs.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Roadscum

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '15 BMW R12R, '12 Vespa 300', '15 BMW GSA, '13 BMW F800GT (in Europe)
GPS: SW Florida
Miles Typed: 481

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:42 am »

In that regard, the pricing on the new RS400 UJM baffles me. $6000 for what is, essentially, the exact same bike as Suzuki's TU250X, with 150cc bump and absolutely nothing else to set it apart. IMO, on an early 70s bike, $1500 does NOT reflect a 150cc bump on a bike in that class. F the

I to am baffled by the price RS400.

Paul
Grainbelt

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 10:45:59 am »

meh. The SR400 has authenticity on its side. Much better hipster cred. Subjectively, it is far more attractive visually than the odd looking jellybean TU. Having owned a couple of suzukis, I'd pay a grand just for the (hopefully) better quality of paint, fasteners, etc on the Yamaha. That's been my experience, anyway.

As for the FJ-09, I thought about it some more and decided it that if the market demanded tourers, the F800GT, VFR800, and Ninja1000R would be selling like crazy.

I haven't seen more than a couple on the road, so I suspect Yamaha will keep this bike pretty minimal and lean.

Akumu

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2007 Yamaha FZ1
GPS: Pittsburgh, PA
Miles Typed: 105

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 06:06:29 pm »

As much hype as there is about the VFR800 re-introduction...

Hype? Both VFR forums have numerous posts with members basically doing this  Sleepy Sleepy Sleepy or  Thumbsdown Thumbsdown Thumbsdown and asking "Who's going to buy it?  Headscratch"

Not sure that I see any hype... And yes, they're crazy to charge that much. Because they're Honda and they overcharge for everything on their showroom floor, from the 250cc single to the Goldwing/Valk/F6B...because they're Honda. (And I don't say that in an endearing way.)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:32:07 am by Akumu » Logged
Silverbird

Reputation 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 09:26:07 pm »

There were all kinds of people that said they'd buy a VFR800, then they saw the price tag. A revised VFR1000 is what they needed but that would have driven the price over 15K and it would have sold poorly like the 1200.  Why do they insist on charging so much?  I know their quality is top notch, but they continue to price themselves right out of the market.
Grainbelt

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 07:23:58 am »

I don't think the VFR is priced too high for a single side swingarm, convoluted-valvetrain v-four with some touring amenities.

The engine configuration drives parts repetition, weight, and expense. You have to really want a V-4 for it to make sense.

crispiegee1

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2001 Yamaha YZF600R; 1974 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado
GPS: Buffalo, NY
Miles Typed: 1227

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 09:12:45 am »

Whether Yamaha builds an FJ-09 or a mini-Tenere - I'd be happy for either, but would love the Tenere - it will be important for there to be a price difference between those bikes and their bigger brothers. (Though I laugh when people list a dozen features they want and conclude with "...all for a price of less than $9000." Oh okay. You're going to add $3k worth of equipment for a thousand bucks, huh? Keep dreaming.)

I would much prefer it start at a lower price and forgo an electric windshield and a lot of other useless crap. Competent suspension is a must, because suspension is expensive to modify later, but Sachs and Showa are capable of good suspension at a reasonable price. Like others have said, if Yamaha comes out with a mid-sized bike for nearly the price of a large bike, it will find few buyers.

A mini Tenere or mini FJR starting at around $11k would be a bargain, though, and the lighter weight alone would appeal to me. A competent sport tourer weighing in at 450 pounds wet? Yes please! A competent adventure bike weighing in at 465 pounds? Yes please!
FantasticJapaneseRocket
"It's Only A Couple Hundred Miles"

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2008 FJR1300
GPS: Menifee, near Temecula in So Cal.
Miles Typed: 253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 04:20:57 am »

I hope they do more than just slap some FJR bags on a FZ09 and call it a FJ900.

That's all that prototype looks like.

Needs a larger fuel tank at LEAST!

Current ride...2008 Black FJR

Riding the best roads in America in AWESOME So Cal
Scottyfizz

Reputation 13

GPS: Quad Cities,IA
Miles Typed: 866

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 06:30:22 pm »

If you all were Mama Yamaha.What would you realistically do with an FJR 900 that wouldn't cut into the FJR1300 sales?

I for one wouldn't need all the fancy electronic doodads. Not even sure a full fairing would be needed either.I'm really hoping Yamaha does something like a Kawy Ninja 1000 with their sidebags.And that leads to my next question.

Is Yamaha going to kill off the 4 cylinder FZ1?My local dealer still has a 2012 FZ1 on the floor gathering dust.

My wife has pretty much said she is done riding with me so I do not need a full sized sport/tourer.

Idea's?
sharkey

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Burgman 650
Miles Typed: 112

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 01:28:59 am »

This was in my inbox.  If you are in Austin, go check it out for us and oh, bring a camera.  The ad mentioned heading to the FZ9 area so it has something to do with the triple motor.  

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/dcdainv/Unveil_main_65_zpsf8989946.jpg[/URL][/img]
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 09:11:39 pm »

Size of tank is relative....you don't need a 5+ gallon tank IF you get good gas mileage.  4.5 gal with an mpg of 50+ will give you over a 200 mile range easily.  How much longer does it need to be?  My FZ6 does this with no problem, even with full Givi bags and running through the mountains of NC and Tenn.  

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
FJRider

Reputation 1755

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 08:59:18 am »

This was in my inbox.  If you are in Austin, go check it out for us and oh, bring a camera.  The ad mentioned heading to the FZ9 area so it has something to do with the triple motor.  

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/dcdainv/Unveil_main_65_zpsf8989946.jpg[/URL][/img]

I think it may be an FZ-07.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/11/yamaha-introduces-mt-07-lightweight-affordable-689cc-twin/

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal