Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: WCRM 2014 Ashland Oregon June 6, 7 and 8th  (Read 33923 times)

bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6801

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2014, 01:41:49 am »

Looks like an amazing place …  Bigok

Wade, your host,  will be by shortly to provide details. Great guy, great area.   Bigok  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

viffergyrl

Reputation 31

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1300

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 12:39:17 pm »

:popcorn:

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
rc30boy

Reputation 11

GPS: Southern Oregon, USA
Miles Typed: 205

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:29:07 pm »

Hello all who are willing to attend a ride fest in my little corner of the universe.  I know there are some who feel Ashland doesn't offer a lot, it is my hope to change your mind.  I have been out of town for the last week, home now and will go talk to the managers at 3 levels of accommodation, budget and clean, a step up and deluxe Best Western  complete with workout facilities etc.  I will post prices by the end of the week.

How about a bbq at my house friday night and if you want to have a few, I will pick you up and deliver you back to your hotel/motel in my trusty pick up truck.  I will provide side dishes and salads, all you need is drinks and meat, both of which can be got right around the corner at Shop n Kart market.  After the bbq thinking of either showing Fastest, the sequel to Faster, or Why We Ride, a great documentary that will have all itching for the 3 week road trip....

Saturday my plan is ,if you all want it, I can provide very competent local riders as guides so you can truly see the back roads as only the locals who know them can show you, I was thinking about 3 different loops, 120ish miles, 250ish miles, and 300+ miles.  Are there any ADV sorts coming who want to climb up into the mountains on dirt?  Speak up and I will make sure the GS is ready and we can do a 250+ mile run where half of it is dirt and forest service roads, the other half twisty tarmac.

Saturday night we go to Caldera Brew house for dinner and drinks.

Sunday morning those that want can join in with my usual riding group for a run up Hwy 66 to the Greensprings Inn for a killer brekkie, then down Dead Indian road to the motel and off for your homes.

I am happy to offer any suggestions on how to get here and stay off the super slab for those that want it.

I am also happy to not do any of the above mentioned stuff if that strikes all as too much planning and something more spontaneous would be better, I remain at your service...and no I don't mean THAT kind of service....

Bring bathing suits as I have a hot tub here at the house for those that want to soak after a long ride.

I also have bike stands and a full array of metric and standard tools if anyone runs into any maintenence problems.  My local bike shop, Hansen's is the best and they can help with any snafu's too, besides they are worth a look as they have some particularly cool bikes in right now including the BMW R9T,  Drool Drool.

Downtown Ashland is very picturesque, it is a major tourist town after all, and worth a walk/explore, and anyone who wants to stay over for Sunday the pub downtown, the Black Sheep, has a killer Sunday Roast dinner in the British Style and live Irish Folk Music in the bar from 3-5, if you've been to ol blighty this will take you back there in the best of ways.

The bottom line is this is your WCRM, I just want to help make it the best ever...oh yeah, the motels will be within walking distance of the Caldera Brew House.

Let's ride!

Advertisement

M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2 VFRs & a GTS
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2850

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:09:53 am »

Thanks for the generous offers, and local legwork! Looking forward to this all coming together over the next couple of months. It's gonna be a great trip!
rc30boy

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 05:43:58 pm »

Motel info is as follows:
There are 5 motels I have looked at, the Super 8, indoor heated pool, free basic brekkie, free HBO, clean, somewhat dated, $59 for queen bed, $69 for king, $79 2 queen beds, 10 minute walk to the brew house, just across the street from the Wild Goose which is a decent breakfast/lunch place with a full bar in the back where they do karoake on weekend evenings, your bike may be parked out of sight of your room.

Across the street is the Rodeway Inn, also clean and a bit dated, rates are equivalent to the Super 8, same basic location as well, just now you are on the same side of the street as the Wild Goose and you can park your bike right out front.  

Closer to Caldera Brew House are 4 other motels, here you will find the Relax Inn at a whopping $45 per night one bed, $55 per night 2 beds, clean, very dated, not much by way of amenities, however the room I toured didn't smell too bad, everything looked pretty clean and you can park your bike right outside your door.  It is a short walk to the Caldera from here.  This property is located close to the freeway, the thick block walls seem to cut out most of the sound though.

Across the street is the Best Western Windsor Inn, they run $125+ per night, have the complete list of amenities I have come to expect from Best Western properties, it is also a bit farther from the freeway than the Relax Inn.  If spending a bit more and feeling more taken care of is your bag, this is the place for you imho.

Also in this price range is the Holiday Inn Express, the newest of the hotels nearest the brewery, everything is nice, clean and fresh.  Two knocks against the place for me are you might have to be out of sight of the bike overnight and it's closer to the freeway than the Best Western.

The Ashland Hills Inn and Suites is just across the street from the other 3, quite nice and the price shows it, you are being asked for $150+ a night, all rooms are suites with a foldout couch in a separate living room and a closeable door on the bedroom so it would be a possible place for a couple + 1 to stay...nice amenities, once again might be out of sight of the bike overnight.

As far as group rates go, all the places want a block of 10 rooms to give a group rate and this will save you 10% with the exception of the Relax Inn where there is no discounts at all.  If there are 10 of you who would want to be in the same place either let me know and I will set up a group rate for you, if not I figured it could just be each person do their own thing.

If I were to pick it would look like this, solo I'm in the Relax Inn 'cause I'm a cheap bastard, with a significant other on board I'm at the Best Western 'cause it's swanky and might help me get lucky....

As always if I can help facilitate anything for you please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:48:28 pm by rc30boy » Logged
rc30boy

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:53:49 pm »

Oh yeah, I can take 2 folks who are okay camping on my porch, means you share the facilities here with me, you need your own tent, sleeping bag and pad, although I do have some loanable equipment.  First come first serve, let me know if there is interest....
PS the porch is in the back of the house, not on the street.....
viffergyrl

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:32:32 pm »

Truly I think there is something for everyone here. Thanks for the research!  Bigok

One thought: If there are a number of rooms with two queen beds at the BW, one could share and it would be cheaper.  Cool

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

viffergyrl

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »

If people need a visual - the Caldera Brewing Co is across the street from the Relax Inn:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:45:33 pm by viffergyrl » Logged

greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3498

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 11:32:31 pm »

That's a whole lot of research and Thank You.

Is the Best Western within staggering distance of the Caldera Brewing Co?  Does Caldera have cocktails?  How's the food?

I'd prefer a map of local roads instead of an organized ride.  Garmin Base Camp format would be most excellent.  Smile

I'll probably ride the coast down and back, maybe make it a 2 day down, single day back.

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 11:41:15 pm »

Ooooh.  This sounds like more fun than puppies and free beer.    Bigok

Thanks in advance, Wade, for being so generous.    Hail   Hope all is going well with you.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6801

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 11:42:24 pm »

If people need a visual - the Caldera Brewing Co is across the street from the Relax Inn:

I see that Brammo, the electric mc company, is right nearby the Brewing Company, that might be an interesting stop and look see !?
rc30boy

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 01:08:29 am »

Caldera is indeed within staggering distance of any of the motels, very close to the final 4 I mentioned, greench, I am sorry to say I am a complete inept when it comes to satnav, use paper maps and dead reckoning still...so I would be unable to put together satnav maps in any format, again, sorry about that. There are however some really great routes that I can point you to that have only a few changes and I'm sure you could figure out a way to make your satnav talk to you... Mr. Smooth, I am hoping I get to see you?  It has been way too long....Oh yeah, the food while a bit 'artsy' is good at Caldera, and they have a full bar as well...
rc30boy

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:56 am »

Just for reference, the Caldera Brew house is marked on vffergirls map as pacific domes with the little fork and knife logo, not sure why they don't have it labeled correctly.
Chronic
Curvemiester

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '14 KTM 1190 Adventure,'14 Moto Guzzi Griso, '02 Moto Guzzi "Scura"
GPS: Visalia, Central Cali.
Miles Typed: 472

My Photo Gallery

Gonzo Motorcyclist

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 03:14:43 pm »

Gawd!!!  I sooo wanna do this thing.   I may need to be out of the country on business that week ,but, if not, then, I AM  I DOING IT Smile

I rode thru and spend a night in Asland last June and we rode Dead Indian rd. down into town from the east and it as stupendous!!....... and that was going down hill!!!  I can only inagine how fun that road would be going up it.

A bit crowded with Shakespeare festival, but, still a really fun place.  I can't wait to go back.

Getting to and from will be a treat, too.  For me, it'll be up Hwy 49 to Oregon and back down the coast to Cambria and then turn left and on to home.

The Spice must flow...
rc30boy

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 12:48:41 am »

Oh yeah, one other thing, the Valero station by the motels, they sell 92 octane gas with no ethanol!  It does cost $5 a gallon, man my older bikes like it a lot better though...
UHOH

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 08:59:27 pm »

If I were to pick it would look like this, solo I'm in the Relax Inn 'cause I'm a cheap bastard...

As always if I can help facilitate anything for you please let me know.

Great summary info.

But, TripAdvisor.com doesn't list a Relax Inn; nor does Orbitz.com (a travel reservation site) book there.  
Hhmmm, thinking caution if the big guys avoid it.   So could you take a couple photos of this motel and post them?   Thanks.
greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3498

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 11:27:50 am »

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29998-d1878569-Reviews-Relax_Inn_Ashland-Ashland_Oregon.html

Bigok

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15152

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 03:56:30 pm »

But, TripAdvisor.com doesn't list a Relax Inn; nor does Orbitz.com (a travel reservation site) book there.  
Hhmmm, thinking caution if the big guys avoid it.   So could you take a couple photos of this motel and post them?   Thanks.

Really??

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
UHOH

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 08:47:26 pm »

Really??

try it for yourself.
tripadvisor.  put in ashland, OR.  for hotels.  Relax Inn doesn't show.

Orbitz.  put in ashland, OR.  hotel only (no airline tickets).  click.  Relax Inn doesn't show.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15152

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 12:49:32 pm »

Actually, my response was in your request for Wade to go and take pictures of the motels for you.  Razz

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal