Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Tell About the Wee Strom  (Read 3989 times)

nnjhawk02
The Rhino - Function Over Form

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '02 VTR1000F, '11 TLD Ruckus, '02 XR100R. Past: '82 R65LS, '78 R100RS, '88 R100RT
GPS: Pa. > Former NJ Prisoner
Miles Typed: 881

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:05:20 pm »

My friend is looking to buy a used 2006 DL650 - with 25k & some very nice farkles.

I know nothing about these, not sure if there are any issues.

Thus, what should he/we look for?  Is there a particular problem this model and/or year has?

Other than asking for documentation on maintenance & a test ride > whats the poop Wee peeps?

Thanks

FREE Discount Prescription Card http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
R.I.P. AVO  
Relax its the internet
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

sfalexi

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2010 ST1300
GPS: Columbia, SC
Miles Typed: 500

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:20:10 pm »

Check out stromtroopers.com

I was a member there with my 2012 weestrom.  They are the subject matter experts.  And I mean EXPERTS.

You should be fine though.  Weestroms are notoriously rock-solid.

Alexi
Grey Wolf

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2012 Suzuki DL650A
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:15:04 am »

It would be good if there is a maintenance history. I would prefer to see a specimen of that age with at least 30,000 miles on it. I sold a 2007 with 77,000 miles on it in 2012. The new owner has it up to about 100,000 miles. It's neglected bikes that are more likely to have issues like rust in the fuel tank. Look inside the tank. Do the usual stuff like checking for leaking fluids, making sure the lights work, etc.. That year has no particular problem compared to other years. I totaled a 2005, bought the 2007, and now have a 2012.

Pat
Advertisement

Oxblood

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 2016 VStrom 1000
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:33:50 pm »

My friend is looking to buy a used 2006 DL650 - with 25k & some very nice farkles.

I know nothing about these, not sure if there are any issues.

Thus, what should he/we look for?  Is there a particular problem this model and/or year has?

Other than asking for documentation on maintenance & a test ride > whats the poop Wee peeps?

Thanks

I rode a 2007 DL 650 (non-ABS) for three years. Awesome bike. Good for long distance touring, fireroads, etc. Lousy stock seat. I recommend replacing it with the Suzi gel seat. Avoid the OEM luggage if it is the 2nd Gen Luggage. If the bike has luggage and it is the Kappa gear you are good to go.

The bike is reliable as all get up and go. After three years of daily riding and touring, I had put about 50,000km on the bike. No mechanical issues at all. The only electrical I had was a burned out brake light switch which cost all of about 20 bucks to fix. Stock windscreen can cause issues, and look up the "Secret 6th position" over at Stromtrooper for an unofficial fix. Lots of after market screens for the sixfiddy.

My bike was farkled with kappa Kn961 44 litre cases fort side cases, and the K48 48 litre top case, and the handlebar guards for wind abatement. I  also dropped in Racetech Gold Valve emulators and springs to beef up the front end.

Gas mileage is awesome. I could squeek out about 400km on a tank when out in the middle of nowhere.

Not the most powerful bike, but zippy enough for most touring needs. A little bit tall, so day to day commuting can be interesting because the centre of mass is so high.

All in all, it is a most excellent bike and if it is in good condition, definiely worth picking up.
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 03:49:17 pm »

I had a 2004. No real design flaw issues to sort out, mostly just upgrading places where Suzuki cheaped out. New seat, new windscreen (buffeting is typical), and stiffer springs in the forks and shocks did it for me (plus crash bars and a skid plate). Really solid, reliable bike that is a great value.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Grey Wolf

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2012 Suzuki DL650A
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:03:22 pm »

I've owned my share of bikes. The last three were DL650s. After getting one, I didn't want anything else. Long distance riders will like a different seat and the windscreen needs help but there are plenty of options. The front end likes to lighten at speed but raising the fork tubes to lower the front or raising the rear with shorter suspension links helps with that. 10-15mm seems optimal and leg length will determine the best option. I totaled my first one. My second one just passed 100,000 miles with a second owner. I'm getting old so the third one will probably be my last bike.

Pat
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal