Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Advice needed! Yet another "Which bike should I get" question  (Read 13547 times)

Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

GPS: Somewhere outside of City 17...
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:17:10 am »

Hello all,

I literally read through this blog all day yesterday, and I would like you all to know I've now added "farkle" and "twisties" to my vocabulary. I've been riding for ~5 years. I learned on little 200 and 250 dual sports, going on and off road in rural, hilly, curvy, WV. which I think was a perfect way to learn for me. I then graduated to a Suzuki M50 (800cc) about a year ago, with forward controls (I have long legs). I really don't like the fit or feel as much as I thought I would. I've been looking into trading it in towards a new bike that I can keep for a long while. I like the upright position more, and I have zero experience on an actual sport bike like a Ninja or Gixxer. Here's what I think is important to me (correction is appreciated if necessary):

-Weight and mass suitable for highway travel. I commute and ride on all types of roads (not off road much anymore), to include highway frequently. I want something that can keep speed without being blown around the lanes, but also give me some butterflies when I see the curves coming.
-Long distance comfort. I am interested in the types of trips I see on here. Multi-day, all-weather, long range trips where I rack up the miles and forget where I live. Let's just say I need to engage in some escapism.
-Honestly, I am not interested in a straight-up sport bike. I think the long distance comfort point above might speak to that, but correct me if I am wrong.
-Saddlebags are a must, and a standard or purchaseable top bag is almost a must.
-Some amenities would be nice, like cruise control. Heated grips and GPS I can always add later.
-I'm not so worried about budget.
-I'm also not worried about the size or weight of a big bike, although I would not consider myself "experienced", only "intermediate". I stand 6'1", 160 lbs., so I'm tall but not that big. I would like something that I won't find limiting, now and as my skills improve, since I'm in relatively good shape and confident in my ability to learn safely... But also something that's not a boat with 2 wheels attached.
-I'm moving to Germany in <6 months, so something that I will be able to maintain and take care of there. As of now, I will only be there 2 years, so something that would also be easily maintainable in the states. I'll do oil and basic maintenance myself, but I have little experience with anything besides that.

This is my first post, and I appreciate any help you would like to give me! I have a few ideas in my head, but I would like your opinions since you have more knowledge and experience than me with this type of riding.

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.” -Lao Tzu
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:16:55 am »

One option to consider is the 650 V-Strom. Longer travel suspension makes bombing around the back roads (or dirt roads) of WV easier and it won "Bike of the Alps" or somethling like that few years ago.  Reliable. Easy to maintain. Good fuel economy. Lots to like.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:37:43 am »

Garry,

Thanks for the quick response. I have looked into the V-Strom, and it definitely looks like a good choice. Since I ride interstate/highway as well, would the 1000 be a better option?

Advertisement

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:59:37 am »

Garry,

Thanks for the quick response. I have looked into the V-Strom, and it definitely looks like a good choice. Since I ride interstate/highway as well, would the 1000 be a better option?

The Wee (650) will have no problems smoothly cruising along at normal highway speeds (up to 80 MPH). The Vee (1000) weighs more which makes it less desireable on dirt roads, but does have more grunt which would be better for two-up or if you want to do multi-car passes on two lane roads.  My wife was comfy enough on my Wee for half-day rides (never did anything longer two-up). The 1000 just got freshened up for 2014, so it would be worth checking out. Both bikes have 19" front wheels which makes them better suited to dirt/gravel roads than your typical street bike with 17s. Since you mentioned an off-road background, the Strom family might provide a bit more versatility for varied WV riding than a pure street bike. I don't find the 19" front to be an issue on pavement. I used to rail my Wee around at the same speeds as my sportbike in the tight stuff.

I found the Wee to be pretty comfy but I went with a taller seat, as the seat to peg distance was a little short for my 34" inseam (6'3", 170 lbs). I don't know if the ergos have changed in the current generation. Mine was a 2004.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:06:30 am by garry » Logged

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:41:22 pm »

I think the 1000 would be better for me overall as I don't do much off road riding anymore (although it is fun). I should have included this initially... I now live in Alabama and work in Georgia, and when I move to Germany I don't want to get run down if I were to go on the Autobahn. After Germany, I'll probably move back to WV.  I love service roads, light trails and such,  but 80% of my riding will be roads of some type. So the Vstrom family sounds like a good choice. What are the other alternatives? 1200 GS, Explorer Tenere?

Also, if I am considering doing long tours, would something like a K 1600 GT/R 1200 RT or a Triumph Trophy be a good choice (not for off road, of course)?

Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:42:05 pm »

Barring the fact that maintenance might be more involved.

GvG

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: STR
GPS: The Netherlands (aka Holland)
Miles Typed: 207

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:30:47 pm »

... and when I move to Germany I don't want to get run down if I were to go on the Autobahn.

Also, if I am considering doing long tours, would something like a K 1600 GT/R 1200 RT or a Triumph Trophy be a good choice (not for off road, of course)?

Contrary from the impression I get on the internet about cagers in the USA, here in Europe they aren't out to get you  Wink
At the moment I'm looking at naked bikes myself. One of the options is a Duke 390 (43hp) and I would take that on the Autobahn.

What is a long tour and where are you going? I do 2500+ mile tours on my Daytona 675, my neighbour does them on his K1600 GTL. That thing is almost twice the weight of my Daytona. I like lighter better, especially in the Alps.
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:14:59 pm »

I think the 1000 would be better for me overall as I don't do much off road riding anymore (although it is fun). I should have included this initially... I now live in Alabama and work in Georgia, and when I move to Germany I don't want to get run down if I were to go on the Autobahn. After Germany, I'll probably move back to WV.  I love service roads, light trails and such,  but 80% of my riding will be roads of some type. So the Vstrom family sounds like a good choice. What are the other alternatives? 1200 GS, Explorer Tenere?

If you're interested in BMW products, the R1200GS is a brilliant all arounder, the F800GS is a close second... both eat road miles easily, both are very capable off road.

For touring I prefer the RT over the GT/GTL, Wing, and Trophy. I'm riding a demo GTL right now, it's fantastic for what it is and surprisingly easy to ride hard in more demanding environments (rural VA, WV), but more than I prefer for daily riding. When the RT demo gets here, I'll be hogging it! Feel free to PM me if you want more info... I work for BMW as a non BMW guy, so my objectivity is relatively intact ;-)

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4505

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 02:31:34 pm »

BMW K1600GT.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 03:12:57 pm »

Yep, American cagers have a tendency to be... Oblivious and distracted.  

I suppose my definition of a long tour would be the same as your tours, GvG... But I'm leaving that open ended. I've honestly not gotten the chance to ride more than a few hundred miles at a time. As far as where I'm going, that's open ended as well. Sorry if that sounds like a "cop out". I'm moving to Germany soon, so ANY long rides and tours in Europe sound good to me. I have a long list of places I want to go. I'll start anywhere.

The 1200 GS and Vstrom both sound great, and so does the R 1200 RT. In Germany, I know maintenance and service won't be an issue for those. Since GRN has ridden an RT... What is the wind dispersion difference between that and the 1200 GS? Night and day? I feel like the canopy of a parachute on my current bike, with arms and legs ahead of me. Not too fun after a few hours.

Again, I appreciate the discussion and advice!

GvG

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:49:59 pm »

I suppose my definition of a long tour would be the same as your tours, GvG... But I'm leaving that open ended. I've honestly not gotten the chance to ride more than a few hundred miles at a time. As far as where I'm going, that's open ended as well. Sorry if that sounds like a "cop out". I'm moving to Germany soon, so ANY long rides and tours in Europe sound good to me. I have a long list of places I want to go. I'll start anywhere.

I asked because if you want to do the Col du Sommeiller, the Col du Parpaillon or the E6 between the North Cape and the Russian border I'd never bring a K1600.

The BMW 1200GS has been crowned King of the Alps for the last couple of years (the V-Strom won in 2004 and 2005 iirc), but you'd actually have to get the test to see what they tested and how much points could be had in each category to know if the same bike would have come out on top for you. For instance, they also test how comfortable the bike is two-up, but I ride alone, so don't care about that.
On the other hand, there must be a reason that when you go to the Alps the bike you'll see most often is the 1200 GS.
Personally I'd choose the lighter F800 GS or Tiger 800.

For me there is a difference between the places I want to go to (visit) and the roads I want to ride.  Bigsmile
So I usually do the places by car and the roads on my bike. Rolleyes
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:53:39 pm by GvG » Logged
Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:41:43 pm »

Well, you just opened my eyes quite a bit. I actually didn't even know about Col du Sommelier, Col du Parpaillon, or E6.

My jaw just about dropped when I read about them and looked at pictures...  EEK! Uh, I just added trips to my bucket list! So thank you for that.

I definitely see what you are saying. It would make no sense in taking an R 1200 RT on those roads/trails. As long as I can comfortably ride an adventure touring bike on roads and highway for commuting and some road touring, I'm probably going to get one of those. Now, how do you get your hands on this "King of the Alps" test? Do you know? Also, does it test other bikes like KTM, Yamaha Explorer Tenere, etc?

GvG

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 04:39:11 am »

The King of the Alps test is now called the Alpenmasters. It's published by German magazine Motorrad and some magazines in other countries publish a translated version of it, so besides German it is also available in (I think) Dutch, Finnish, Czech and  Danish.  Bigsmile

The German magazine does have an online version, though it's shorter than the original articles.
The test goes something like this.
1. Test of touring-enduros (Adventure 1190 R, Caponord, Hypermotard, 800GS)
2. Test of nakeds (Brutale 1090, Z800, Street Triple R, CB1100)
3. Test of sportbikes (HP4, RSV, Daytona 675, ZX-6R)
4. Test of <48hp bikes (it's a license thing in EU countries) (XT 660, Duke 390, Ninja 300, CB500)

5. The winner of each test gets to the final, where they have to take on last year's winner ( but in 2012, for the first time they announced 2 winners: the 1200 GS & Explorer).

It's the reason why you actually need all 4 tests, because the winner of test 3 (that gets to the final) could have done worse than the number 2 in test 1 (and that one doesn't make it to the final).

And you have to take in to account the specific version of a bike they tested. A Dutch site tested the Adventure 1190 R, 1200 GS and Explorer and about the Adventure R they noted that it is significantly different from the 1190 EDS. The EDS is a much 'friendlier' bike for everyone.
From their conclusion:
'.....almost feels like a supermotard, but must also be  ridden like one. Impose your own will on the Adventure R and the bike will eat out of your hand, but give the Adventure R the upper hand and it'll wipe the floor with you.
Do you want more comfort, then the Adventure EDS is definitely a good alternative.'

Oh....and you don't have to do any off-road. It's actually hard to find those roads in the Alps, since most passes are tarmac. In my experience you can find the most gravel roads in northern Scandinavia (though they are mostly hard-packed) and even there you can get almost anywere without using them.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:44:57 am by GvG » Logged
Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 07:26:58 am »

Looks like I will be doing some translating during my free time! I'm trying to learn German anyway, so the Alpenmasters article will show me just how little I understand.  Bigsmile

Oh....and you don't have to do any off-road. It's actually hard to find those roads in the Alps, since most passes are tarmac. In my experience you can find the most gravel roads in northern Scandinavia (though they are mostly hard-packed) and even there you can get almost anywere without using them.

I really would like to go off road, but since I know most of my riding will be on hard roads due to my job and vacation time I would like something that can do both well. You know, have my cake and eat it.

Will the prices of European and UK bikes like BMW and Triumph be cheaper in Europe than in the US? They're not common in my area of the US, and I can wait until I get to Germany to buy one. Hopefully I can test ride them here...

GvG

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 08:57:11 am »

That depends.
Are you with the military? If yes, probably buy in the USA. Especially if they ship your bike for free. Also check here and here.

If not:
Who pays for shipping?
Do you have to pay import taxes?
Does your bike have to meet German standards (an exhaust with E approval, headlights with E approval a speedo in km/h etc.)?
On the other hand.....if you want to import your German bike in the US, would it meet DOT requirements (apart from the stuff above emissions also come to mind)?
Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:36 pm »

Yes, I am with the military. Germany is my last duty station before I leave the military... It's not the life for me. I know that my bike will ship for free if I buy it here, which is excellent. But I'm not sure if I can ride outside of Germany with a US-spec bike. I'm not sure the SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) and motorcycle laws will extend outside of Deuschland. If they don't, I will buy one when I hop the pond, and I won't have to pay the VAT. I have to find that out, the people I've talked to just rode in Germany.

Either way, I'll do my research, go to the petting zoo, and do test rides before I leave. I've narrowed it down enough that I won't be too difficult to see them all in person.

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 01:00:23 pm »

Maybe buying over there, riding for two years, then selling on your return would be the path of least resistance.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
GvG

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 01:22:34 pm »

What I can get from the Drivers Handbook and Examination Manual for Germany from the USAREUR site you should have no problem driving in Europe.

I mean, why would they ever put this in there, if you weren't allowed to drive outside Germany (but then, I'm not in the US military):
Nationality Marker. An oval international “USA” decal (which the owner must obtain) is
required if the POV crosses international borders using U.S. Forces “European-style” license plates.
U.S. Forces POVs with German license plates issued by the U.S. Forces will use the “D” decal.

And if you search on the advrider site, you'll find enough people ship their US-spec bike to Europe to ride here (it's cheaper than to rent if you stay more than 4(?) weeks).
Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 05:01:52 pm »

Yep, I don't think it will be an issue. I asked around some more and read through the regulations and the manual (thank you). I just need an international driver's license.

I guess it's time to start the petting zoo tours and test rides. I'll buy here and if I choose to stay in Europe when I leave the military I can just take it to a dealer and have them change it to Euro-specs.

The advrider site is great, by the way. You all have been so helpful, I really appreciate it.

GvG

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 06:19:17 am »

You should ask if that is the latest version of the Handbook and if so, if there are any addendums/supplements.
Because it's not always correct (and some things are a correct from a legal point, but in real life people don't behave like that).

German law does not require passenger cars to be equipped with snow tires or chains except in certain mountainous areas.

That's just plain wrong. German law requires cars to be equipped with snow tires in 'wintry conditions'. So unless the military has exemption, you need snow tires.

Types of Speed Limits.Roads Outside City Limits. 80 kph (50 mph) for vehicles above 3.5 tons of authorized loaded weight, except passenger cars, for passenger cars with trailers, trucks with trailers, tractors with trailers, mobile homes with trailers, buses, and buses with trailers.

Germany has a something they call 'Tempo 100'. If you go to a 'TüV' registered point you can get a Tempo 100 permit and sticker to be put on your trailer if your trailer meets certain criteria (like brakes on the trailer itself). With that permit you are allowed to go 100kph on the Autobahn and on roads with sign nr 331.

Outside city limits, a short blast of the horn or flashing headlights indicates the intention to pass.

I've never heard a German using the horn to indicate an intention pass and flashing headlights tends to be reserved for people going 200+kmh on the Autbahn.

)Traffic should remain in the right lane of two lanes going the same direction except when
passing.
Drivers of passenger cars and trucks with a total weight of up to 3.5 tons may drive in any lane of roads having two or more lanes going the same direction within city limits.

Legal yes, but highly frowned upon by Germans, unless you have to make a left at the next lights (and they better be in sight and not 1 kilometer away).

Speed limits in Europe (except for the United Kingdom) are expressed in kph.

The UK and its Crown Dependencies (the islands of Man, Jernsey and Guernsey), that are not a part of the UK proper.

Right of way. To vehicles coming from field or forest paths to secondary roads or federal highways

Or said much simpeler: Paved has right of way over unpaved.

As of 1 July 2014 (1-7-2014 in Europe) you must have a hi-viz vest in your car (to be used in case of a breakdown).

And in the Handbook it says something about "The Traffic Point System (AE Reg 190-1/USAFE Inst 31-202, para 2-21)", you should ask if this makes you exempt from the German points system, the Verkehrszentralregister (or from May the Fahreignungsregister (English link)), known by the Germans as the 'Flensburger Punkten'.
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 04:54:25 pm »

Moto Guzzi, whichever model floats your boat. Dead easy to work on.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:48 pm »

BMW K1600GT.

Is it just me, or do you have a habit of pimping the model you just sold?  Twofinger

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
cide1

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Triumph Trophy SE / Yamaha VStar 1300 Tourer
Miles Typed: 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:57 pm »

I ride a Triumph Trophy for the long distance highway stuff, and therefore I think that's the best one.  It does have every feature in the book, and a just fantastic engine, but does nothing for off road.
FJRider
Developing ADV addict

Reputation 1746

Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS, 1975 Yamaha RD350
GPS: Drifting through the Driftless
Miles Typed: 594

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »

Moto Guzzi, whichever model floats your boat. Dead easy to work on.

Moto Guzzi: Making mechanics out of enthusiasts since 1921.

Bigsmile

Jeffrey Epstein did not kill himself.
Richard85

Reputation 1

Miles Typed: 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 08:03:43 am »

choose a BMW Thumbsup
Mortalsphere

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 01:36:21 pm »

It's done.

2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES is on it's way to me. I'll have it next Saturday.  Bigsmile

I test rode the BMW and the Super Tenere, and the ST suits me better for what I want to do. Now, to quit my job and travel the world...  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal