Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Which 640 Adv to buy?  (Read 31905 times)

Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Red 2002 Honda VFR Interceptor
GPS: Ottawa, ON, Great White North
Miles Typed: 1009

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2014, 12:41:55 pm »

Headscratch
Here's the sitch...: I've put my trusty 02 VFR for sale and I'm getting a 640 Adventure to have more fun on gravel. (I've reached the limit of what the Honda sport-touring can do on dirt...)

M'y plan is to commute on asphalt on weekdays (40 mile round-trip), fire service roads and double tracks on weekends. Literally a 50-50 split between both worlds (which means that most of the time my tires will be a compromise...)

I've found two, an 05 and 06, both well maintained with low miles. One has seen 90% of its life on asphalt, is bone stock and has OEM hard bags, the other has never seen asphalt, is farkled to do hard enduro and finished the Paris-Dacre Canadian rallye twice, part of the top team.

In other words, one I'd have to farkle my way, the other de-tune...

: proselyting daily for the Church of the Holy Interceptor and passing out the Kool-Aid.
http://www.grandcorbeau.com/images/icons.jpg
See you Aug. 2nd-5th, 2013 for SNOB III
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 07:27:50 pm »

Headscratch
Here's the sitch...: I've put my trusty 02 VFR for sale and I'm getting a 640 Adventure to have more fun on gravel. (I've reached the limit of what the Honda sport-touring can do on dirt...)

M'y plan is to commute on asphalt on weekdays (40 mile round-trip), fire service roads and double tracks on weekends. Literally a 50-50 split between both worlds (which means that most of the time my tires will be a compromise...)

I've found two, an 05 and 06, both well maintained with low miles. One has seen 90% of its life on asphalt, is bone stock and has OEM hard bags, the other has never seen asphalt, is farkled to do hard enduro and finished the Paris-Dacre Canadian rallye twice, part of the top team.

In other words, one I'd have to farkle my way, the other de-tune...

Sounds like one is worn out and the other is not.  Don't get the one that completed an endurance race twice.  Racing is hard on equipment.  The motor is likely modified to increase HP and torque and to make it reliable enough to get through the two races it completed.  It will likely not stand up to years of riding without major frequent engine work.  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:26:34 am by nater » Logged

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
Burners
Frozen Canuck

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: 08 ZX14SE
GPS: Calgary
Miles Typed: 395

My Photo Gallery

Stumbling through life one brainfart at a time...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:48:00 pm »

Sounds like one is worn out and the other is not.  Don't get the one that completed an endurance race twice.  Racing is hard on equipment.  The motor is likely modified to increase HP and torque and to make it reliable enough to get through the two races it completed.  It will likely not stand up to years of riding without major frequent engine work.  

Lol That's funny! I was going to suggest the exact opposite. The cost of detuning a factory prepped race bike will be a lot less than farkling and upgrading the other one. Depends on what has actually been done to it and if it is still street legal. I will now add the caveat (prompted by Nater's post) to confirm that it is not worn out before pulling the trigger.
Advertisement

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:22:31 pm »

I would do neither and buy a 690 Enduro instead. The 640 has the worst vibration of any bike I've ever ridden. The "paint shaker" reputation is well deserved IMO. I am not particularly sensitive to vibration, but it's a deal breaker for me on that bike. A buddy that had one and I swapped rides for an hour (he rode the DRZ I had at the time). He noted how smooth my DRZ was, but also noted how much nicer the suspension was on the 640.

The 690 on the other hand is pretty nice (long test ride). I can do full days on my 530 with no issues which is similar to the 690 for vibes.

If I was choosing between the two, I would likely go with the stock one.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:43:00 pm by garry » Logged

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 08:42:27 am »

Thanks for the replies... BTW, the original question is moot, as the stocker has been sold. (Too bad, it had hard bags...)

Here's a partial list of the mods on the prepped 640:
-Excel rims front and rear, laced by Jimmy "O"
-Spare Complete rear wheel.  Have newer stock tires as well..
-Mitas DOT knobbies C-16 rear, C-19 front
-Stiffer fork springs 4,8N/MM
-Stiffer shock spring 75-260
-High front fender mod, removed one front brake disc
-Have low fender
-dirtinblood's Rally Risers
-SXC competition silencer
-have original silencer as well
-Rejetted BST, 160 Main, 47.5 pilot, needle at 3rd notch
-rebuild kit for the Carb
-Stenhouse BST Idle Screw (@ 2.5 turns)
-Stenhouse KTM Axle Pull
-Custom GPS Mount
-Cruz Tools Tool kit
-removed the emissions control crap
-16/45 final drive gearing
- spare stater motor

To "detune" that one and turn it into a daily driver, I'd need not-as-agressive tires, suspension more geared to my 170# (the current owner is significantly beefier than I am, damm genetics), some kind of top box for my work laptop/photo gear.

I'll look in the 690 Enduro suggestion, but it comes with such a puny tank compared to the 640. (And, yes, I've priced the Safari aftermarket tanks, not to mention the Rally Raids from the UK...) Moreoever, a used 690 is significantly more expensive than a used 640...

There's about one 640 Adv every two weeks coming up for sale in Ontario (such as this one. Unfortunately, they tend to be 2002s (no hydraulic clutch, weak mean bearing...)

: proselyting daily for the Church of the Holy Interceptor and passing out the Kool-Aid.
nater

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:57:02 am »

It might be all right...  Doesn't sound like the engine internals have been modded.  

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 06:01:00 pm »

I made my choice: it's the stocker, 2005, 19k km on the odo.

Things I'll need to upgrade/farkle:

SW-Motech sidestand (already ordered, a necessity for my short legs...)
Dual star heated grips
USB or 12v cigarette lighter thingie
High fender mod
Handguards
Real pegs
Bar risers
Holan crash bars (see above comment about short legs)
Pelican foam to turn the Givi top box into a laptop/DSLR/crap load of lenses camera case

nater

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:12:01 pm »

Good choice.  That's the one I would have picked.  It has lead an easier life thus far.

Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 11:31:37 am »

Here's a pic of that ooh-so-clean KTM:

nater

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 10:56:15 pm »

Very nice!

NotDeadYet

Reputation 8

GPS: over yonder
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 07:43:38 pm »

Good choice.  I wouldn't purchase the two time Dakar rally bike unless it had the Dakar maintenance team and the spare parts they needed to keep it running as part of the deal.  Having said that he probably freshened the bike when they were done.  You know for a fact they weren't afraid to take it apart and put it back together in the middle of nowhere.  They could make it like new again in the shop when they were done in their sleep. I love the Dakar and I have a great deal of respect for all of the competitors and their support teams.   Thumbsup Thumbsup

There is no next time, it's now or never.
Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 09:07:39 am »

Good choice.  I wouldn't purchase the two time Dakar rally bike...

Dacre, dude, Dacre. http://www.rallyconnex.com/dacreinfo.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal