Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2014 R1200RT  (Read 9357 times)

GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:39:04 am »

I'll start with the disclaimer... yes, I do work for BMW now (since March), but honestly that has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Our '14 RT demo unit got built and floored today. I'm not an 'R' guy... in fact I've been quite the contrary historically. Knowing the new model now offered more juice, a wet clutch, and improved service intervals piqued my curiosity as I have always liked the RT handling.... so, I brought the demo home and took my bride for an 80 mile jaunt through the VA countryside tonight. 4  Thumbsup from us, it's brilliant... there is no if, only a matter of how soon.

Engine is smooth, low - mid range pull is more than ample two up.
Brakes are holy shit strong, ABS is quite transparent feeling when called upon.
Dynamic ESA is fabulous, even with the dampening on soft while two up it was tight and level through all transitions, zero wallowing.
Protection is excellent, great screen adjustability, and even with full flow with the screen all the way down it was clean and quiet.
Ergos are perfect for me, and reach was fine with the standard saddle in the low position (28-29" inseam).
The handling feels even better than previous gens., light, crisp, linear and very responsive to dynamic body weight.
The clutch is surprisingly light, tranny is smooth, speed shifting is butter - I don't see the need for the shift assist, but I reserve the right to change my mind after I ride one with it. 6th gear is nice and tall for super slab duty, 4th is perfect for spirited pace through curvy country roads with short-moderate sight lines.

I have always been able to find at least one thing I don't like about every other bike I have ridden, including the 19 bikes I've owned and really liked overall (none of which have been BMW to date). I haven't found anything about this bike to knock... the displays are good, the thumb wheel menu control is fantastic, I'm really blown away by this machine. I'll be taking mine in the matte grey when the time comes.

Yes, I work for BMW, but I'm not a 'BMW guy' - just an old ST guy who loves a good ride. Go ride one... let me know what you think.

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4519

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:50:02 am »

I rode one a little while ago. I liked it! I found everything about it very similar to my K1600GT except for obviously the motor. Personally, I would choose the GT over the RT. My friend is the opposite & wants to buy the '14 RT as soon as he sells his Gold Wing.

Do you work directly for BMW or are you working at a BMW dealer?

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
antimatter

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 109

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:11:47 am »

Maybe in five or six years a used one will appear that I can afford.  Have they gotten past having to split the bike in half to service the clutch?  If so, it might be time to take another look at a BMW.  All in all, sounds good.
Advertisement

1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 11:37:21 am »

Yeah, explain how the wet clutch works and where it is. I'm looking hard at the RTs.

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
staedtler

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 996R (track)
GPS: Austin, TX
Miles Typed: 841

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:19:38 pm »

i'll get really acquainted with one this late summer.... i'm renting one for a couple of weeks for a trip.
look for a report this fall

Thumbsup
tankhead
I took the road less traveled and it has made all the difference.

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Supere Tenere
Miles Typed: 785

My Photo Gallery

One time and one time only.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:00:33 pm »

Where are you renting one?  Name the dealer and where they are located? Please?
GRN

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:28:49 am »

Wet clutch... like any other wet clutch, bathed in the engine oil, and it's a slipper clutch to boot. They have flipped the configuration so that the clutch cover is in front, can be removed directly without even removing the front wheel if you don't have a way to lift the front. What used to be an 8+ hour service can now be done in 2. Ironic, they make it easier to get to after they make it far less likely to wear out... go figure.

If you're near Fredericksburg, VA come see me... if you have a moto endorsement on your license and willingness to sign off on 'big boy rules', I'll show you the meaty bits, hand you the key and send you on your way for a ride. Don't say I didn't warn you... 2 out of 3 who ride it 'out of casual curiosity' have come back ready to make a transition and wanting financing details... it's a bloody brilliant bike.

Taking the audio package out of the mix knocks off a decent chunk of cost. If you're going to run a NAV V or Zumo with a bluetooth set, you'll already have MP3 and AM/FM capability anyway - more than enough for me. That said, the full audio package is quite slick if the cost is inconsequential. The configuration I'm going to buy has:
Touring Package
- Dynamic ESA (3 preload, 3 dampening settings)
- GPS Prep (Zumo 6XX / NAV V cradle and full cover dash mounted
- Heated seats front/rear (heated grips standard)
- Cruise Control
Dynamic Package
- Hill Start Control
- Headlight Pro
- Ride Modes Pro (Road/Rain/Dynamic)
Tire Pressure Monitor
MSRP w/ Destination $20,070
36 month/36,000 mile warranty standard (can be extended to 72 months/unlimited mileage for $1495 IIRC).

And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
staedtler

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 08:37:44 am »

Tankhead... Im doing a eurotrip, getting it in spain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
staedtler

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 08:42:59 am »

Grn, do we need to take the gps out of the dash after a ride or can it stay secure over night?

bungie4

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Yamaha FJR, 2013 CRF250L
GPS: Sudbury Ontario

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 10:51:19 am »

Have they fixed the final drive?

-Steve
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad Help when you need it www.assistancelist.com
GRN

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 06:56:59 pm »

Grn, do we need to take the gps out of the dash after a ride or can it stay secure over night?

The GPS isn't secure 'on' the RT, the way it is 'in' the GT/GTL when the windscreen drops on shutdown. The good news is the fairing pockets will swallow the GPS unit, and lock.

GRN

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 11:30:49 pm »

For those considering the new R12RT, the maint schedule has also improved... valve checks are now a 12K interval, and the throttle body synch is self adjusting, it's going to be somewhat less expensive to maintain especially for folks who put a lot of miles behind and keep bikes for a while.

Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4519

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 12:07:54 am »

I love you, man!

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 07:28:06 pm »

For those considering the new R12RT, the maint schedule has also improved... valve checks are now a 12K interval, and the throttle body synch is self adjusting, it's going to be somewhat less expensive to maintain especially for folks who put a lot of miles behind and keep bikes for a while.

Always wondered when somebody is gonna wake up and realize it be easily done these days, with engines as instrumented as they are.  Several of the bikes I have you can synch the TB with aftermarket SW hooked up to the OBD port.  If you can do that, youcan program the ECU to do the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal