Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Utah riders KSL 10 PM news Motorcycle Expose' (5-23)  (Read 3679 times)

2tsnon

Reputation 10

GPS: Liberty, Utah
Miles Typed: 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2007, 08:27:12 pm »

Utah Rider
KSL has been showing trailers for an investigative report on motorcycles. I am getting the feeling that they are going after dealers that sell bikes to unlicensed drivers. I intend to watch and if this turns out to be a witch hunt I'll be contacting KSL. I urge all to watch and see if this is a fair report.

Thanks for listening
Brett

Brett
"We can do it one more time."
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 10:52:22 pm »

ksl is the king of soft news.

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Gnarax
\/\/\/\/\/

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Currently bike free
GPS: Utah
Miles Typed: 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 11:21:03 am »

I missed it last night, but the written version is out now: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1259757.

It's the typically donor cycle hype. I think their main focus is on the licensing process though. They want a tiered licensing system. I guess I'm not completely against that, but if it ever happens, I really doubt it would be implemented well.
Advertisement

Gnarax
\/\/\/\/\/

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: Currently bike free
GPS: Utah
Miles Typed: 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:28:08 am »

Wow - my first post since the board has changed. I guess I really have turned into a lurker.   Lol

(FWIW, the end of next month is the 1 year anniversary of selling my 9R.  Sad  I've having serious bike envy, and just might have to remedy the situation soon.)
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 01:00:15 pm »

Wow - my first post since the board has changed. I guess I really have turned into a lurker.   Lol

Beat it, squid! Twofinger

Wink

Leanintree
Waiting for #3...

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 ZRX1200R, '02 Bandit600
GPS: Loveland, right on the edge of Kalirado
Miles Typed: 3417

My Photo Gallery

Bah. This year sucks.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 01:55:28 pm »

Yup, same old song and dance, without any mention of anything but the sportbike/new rider combo. Not like it doesn't happen, but all the examples cited in that were testosterone laden kids with no experience and the wherewithall to purchase a brand new bike. Unfortunately it happens.

I quote:

Sherry Downard's son died in a crash. She says, "That's all it took for Chris was one mistake. Her 23-year-old son Chris was testing the limits. He got his new bike up to 100 miles an hour, then, "When he went to pass a car on the right, there was a parked diesel trailer and he ran into the back of it."

Chris died instantly. It was maybe his fourth time on the bike. He bought it bike with zero experience.

"He said it was kind of wobbly because he was trying to get used to it and keep it within the lanes of the road," Sherry said.

Who's to blame? The shop that sold him this, or the kid who jacked it up to 100mph in traffic, passed on the shoulder and splatted into the ass end of a semi like a bug on a windshield? When he couldn't even operate it well enough to stay in his lane?

Witch hunt. Again.

I'm not against tiered licensing, far from it, but this is just blood and guts reporting (again) because of an easy target.

Leanintree

'02 ZRX1200R  - Commutasaurus Rex, '02 Bandit600 - Appropriate name STILL pending

---Guns and bikes, peanut butter and jelly. See the comparison? One's just stickier.
RexRider

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 03:35:36 pm »

It's so much easier to blame the machine, rather than the immature, uncontrolled idiot that killed himself, especially when you can have Mom to cry on TV about it.  Buncha typical under-researched, utterly biased, anti-bike BS, IMO.
XXRider
What?

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 38

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 05:08:56 pm »

Such a wonderful mother that allowed her boy to purchase a sportsbike with zero expirence instead of making him take a MSF class before she co-signed for that bike loan.   Headscratch  Wonderful parenting!  Headscratch

07 FJR1300A
99 Black Bird
06 SV650S
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 06:54:28 pm »

Such a wonderful mother that allowed her boy to purchase a sportsbike with zero expirence instead of making him take a MSF class

He's 23.  Rolleyes

Utard

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 07:04:07 pm »

He's 23.  Rolleyes

Was 23.  Embarassment
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 07:05:17 pm »

Roight you are, sir!

Outlaw

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 ZX14
GPS: Utah...
Miles Typed: 399

My Photo Gallery

TACOs...give me TACOs

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 10:03:22 am »

It's so much easier to blame the machine, rather than the immature, uncontrolled idiot that killed himself, especially when you can have Mom to cry on TV about it.  Buncha typical under-researched, utterly biased, anti-bike BS, IMO.

+1

I do however support tiered licensing, Coming from California originally I'm use to it. I believe it to be a good thing. If the person getting his license feels they are capable of handling a 1000cc bike then they need to prove it. When I took my last skills test in California before coming to Utah I took my test on a Yamaha Roadstar. try that in the circle  Bigsmile

"BETTER to be KING of the MOUNTAIN, then the FOOL on the HILL"

If you put your hands on my bike, I' ll make your birth  certificate a worthless document.  
Chriscb750

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda, Kawasaki, KTM
GPS: Salt Lake City
Miles Typed: 283

My Photo Gallery

Lean, Mean, Touring Machine

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 04:21:52 pm »

This quote from the article sums it up...

"We went undercover to six motorcycle shops to pinpoint why it's happening and who's to blame."

Looking for someone to blame for individual choices.  nuf said.

My name's Dewey Oxberger. My friends call me Ox. You might have noticed I've got a slight weight problem. - No! - Yeah, I do. Anyway, I went to this doctor. Well, he told me I swallowed
a lo
Clair
Rider Coach

Reputation 10

GPS: Sandy, Utah
Miles Typed: 136

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 05:18:52 pm »

Not that hard to figure out where they probably went ... not like we have a ton of bike shops here ... so probably

Honda/Suzi on State
Plaza on 33rd
South Valley on State
Harley Davidson on State or 90th South
BMW on N. Redwood
The other Honda place south of 114 s, forget it's name.

I doubt they went west to Steadman's in Tooele

NOt a very good report.  Feel for the mom, but the kid did it to himself.  Bike didn't do it, bike functioned properly.  Kid road bike into vehicle, things happen when you do that.  Not the bike's fault, not the dealer's fault.

Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT

'11 Triumph Tiger 800XC and '01 Honda ST1100
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal