Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: H-D's take on the Electric Moto - Project Livewire  (Read 12920 times)

Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: ‘13 KTM SM-T
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 971

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2014, 08:33:59 am »

First off, everyone should know that THIS BIKE WILL NOT BE FOR SALE.

H-D has created an electric motorcycle - Livewire

It is an engineering exercise to see what could be done by H-D in that market.  They have been working on it for a few years in-house at the Product Development Center (PDC).

Rather than just put it out for display, it has been made to be road worthy...and they are taking it on tour for people to try.  Project Livewire will be a tour that will start in the US then make its way around the world next year.

I had a chance to ride it for a few laps around the Milwaukee Mile and it is quite different.  I wish they made more H-Ds like this (but with a gas engine).

The Bike:

It is very small even for H-D standards and has decent suspension (Big Piston Forks) and is more of a sport riding position.  The motor is the sliver shiny bit at the bottom and the batteries reside where the engine would.

It has good brakes but the bike's regen properties act as a bike engine brake so they can get away with just one disk in the front.

I don't have specific stats but my butt scale would put it about 400lbs or so (I'm probably on the heavy side).

Riding position is like a sporty naked like the Ducati Monster.

It is narrow and very small when you are on it, and easy to maneuver but you can feel the mass of the batteries.

These bikes were built in Milwaukee by hand at the PDC and fit and finish are good as you would expect (they built about 42 of them).

The Ride:

The bikes will be on tour for you to try, check out the website for info:
http://project.harley-davidson.com/en_US

The bike is street legal and has typical H-D controls and all the lights it needs to put it on the road.  The experience will let you take about a 4-5 mile ride on the bike and will be at various points around the US.

I got my ride at the Milwaukee Mile and I rode the oval and the road course in the center of the track.  They placed stop points along the track so you would have to slow down and stop and couldn't keep moving.

When you hop on the bike you see the only instrument is a touch screen.

You turn it on by using the cut-off switch and the screen turns on and shows '111' and 2 bar graphs.  The 111 is a indication that the bike is active but the throttle is not active.  The reason being is that there are no gears, just twist the throttle and go.  Because of that you have to press the start button to activate the throttle.  This will keep you from unwillingly taking off if you are not ready.  The 111 will also show up if you have the side stand down.

You can also choose 2 profiles 'Range' or 'Power' (I picked power ) with 2 bar graphs that show what your range will be for each mode.  You just press the touch screen and select your power mode and it configures for a few seconds and you are ready to hit the start button.

To start the bike you have normal controls, press the starter button for 3 seconds and the 111 on the dash is replaced with your speed and sets to zero.  The screen also shows range, compass direction, turn signals and some other warning lights.

To start out you just roll on the throttle.  It took me a bit to get used to it but power was smooth and linear like you would expect from an electric motor.

The 330 volt motor does provide some get up and go.  I would say it accelerates as hard as my FJR and I was able to get it up to 77 mph and it got there very quickly...I would say in the 4 second range.  It does pull as hard as sport bike and  you don't have to shift.

When you roll off the power it has regen for the batteries and this causes a lot of 'engine braking' I would have to see how this would work on the road if you were trying to hold a speed.  It didn't happen with small adjustments of the throttle but when you rolled the throttle forward.

I was able to hold 60 mph no problem with no jerkyness in the power delivery I could see riding the highway on it.

The lack of sound is different but my FJR with stock pipes is not much louder at freeway speeds.

I'm surprised how much the FJR's power delivery is like this bike...I guess it is like an electric motor!!

The suspension is good and even with my 'husky' frame was not able to upset the suspension in any way.  It was firm but it ate up the bumps.  There was a transition between the oval and the road course that I was trying to hit at different angles and it never got out of line.

I didn't have to recharge it but they told me it takes 2-3 hours to recharge it with the chargers they have on the trucks.

Would I buy one, probably not in it's current form.  On power mode it only had about 60 miles of range and 110 in range mode.  And it was 80 deg at the time I was riding it.  I guess the range will go up and down with the ambient temp.

If battery tech would give us better range over a wider outside temp I may consider it.

The package is fun, I would LOVE to take it into the mountains...

Check out the tour schedule and try to get a ride, if you are going get there early...there will be limited spots.  Each truck will only have 16 bikes and they run them 4 at a time for the demo.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:38:49 am by Prubert » Logged

Prubert
2013 KTM SM-T
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '09 KLX250S
GPS: Bham, AL
Miles Typed: 2352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:34:12 am »

Cool.  One of the better looking Harley's I've seen.  I have to admit that this is way more forward thinking than what I expected to come from HD.  I mean, they JUST started water cooling fer cryin' out loud.  

Ride On...
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:00:11 am »

Thanks for the report and pics.  Thumbsup

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Advertisement

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:20:21 am »

Thanks for the inside info and write-up!  Power like a FJR, but it probably tops out at something like 90mph, or is that 77mph the top?  Do you know if the chargers on the truck are normal 120 volt or something higher or 3-phase?

I like the riding position and hope to see some gas variants with this sort of layout.
Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: ‘13 KTM SM-T
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 971

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:25:43 am »

Thanks for the inside info and write-up!  Power like a FJR, but it probably tops out at something like 90mph, or is that 77mph the top?  Do you know if the chargers on the truck are normal 120 volt or something higher or 3-phase?

I like the riding position and hope to see some gas variants with this sort of layout.

I think 93 is the top and I was told not to go over 60...so I stopped at 77 and it was still pulling.

There are 3-phase chargers in the trucks with an independent generator for them.  I don't know what standard they are using for the system but it would require the converter for 110v outlets or a dedicated 220v system.

Here is the 'upstairs' of the transport...all the bikes are ready to travel!

Prubert
2013 KTM SM-T
coucours grad

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300
GPS: Covington GA
Miles Typed: 407

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:46:52 am »

Thanks for the report!

quote author=Mrs. DantesDame   Polishing the turd does not make it any less of a turd  Rolleyes
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:49:15 am »

Quick, smooth and quiet...what on Earth on they thinking.   Lol
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:13:47 pm »

Very cool.... but also frustrating. If they can build a chassis like that, why don't they make a more sporting bike?  I know, I know.... I am not their target consumer.

Would love to ride the Discharge when it comes through Brewtown.  Bigok

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
motormike

Reputation 31

Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 12:18:31 pm »

Is it possible to sign up for updates on Project Livewire without subscring to HD email?

I searched on Facebook for Project Livewire and didn't see anything.
FBRR

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Harley V Rod, Harley Dyna(gone) ..Kawasaki C14( GONE)
Miles Typed: 755

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 06:29:11 pm »

Cool.  One of the better looking Harley's I've seen.  I have to admit that this is way more forward thinking than what I expected to come from HD.  I mean, they JUST started water cooling fer cryin' out loud.  

Water cooling since 2002!
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 06:58:47 pm »

1981 actually, if you count the Nova...

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Baz

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9026

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:08 am »

Will there be a "loud Pipes" option?  Headscratch

Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '09 KLX250S
GPS: Bham, AL
Miles Typed: 2352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 10:19:25 am »

Water cooling since 2002!

Well, I was counting only the HD designed engines...not the Porsche designed VRod motor.

Ride On...
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 10:24:01 am »

Will there be a "loud Pipes" option?  Headscratch

It is a H-D, so...  they'll sell a chrome bracket to clip your baseball card into by the spokes.
For $90.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: VFR1200, CB500X
Miles Typed: 552

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 12:58:33 pm »

The more I look at this motorcycle, there is absolutely no way HD engineering could have pulled this off.  I have $50 bucks that says this was designed by Buell and going to be a Buell motorcycle before HR shuttered them.  It was known that Buell had a electric model underway.

The sidestand and footpegs are straight off the 1125R.  The forks, swingarm, rear shock, geometry, & wheelbase are all very Buell looking designs.

I can be found on any twisty backroad in SE OH or WV.
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »

The sidestand and footpegs are straight off the 1125R.

Hey, they gotta use up those leftover parts somehow!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler, W650, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 02:56:20 pm »

Thanks for the write up and pics, Prubert.  Love the look.  From what I've seen on the tour schedule, looks like it won't make it to NorCal.  Too bad - here in San Francisco ebikes are a daily sighting among the commuter set.  Maybe you can put in a good word for this region of early adopters  Bigsmile
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:48:15 pm by nevinfs327 » Logged
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »

Great review, thanks for taking the time to share.

The one thing that stood out to me is the fact that this bike does not need to be put in gear to go.  Once it's in the "drive" mode, it's twist the throttle and go.  That would take getting used to and know how to use the start / stop system on the bike.

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 03:37:24 am »

Thanks for the write up  Thumbsup

Very cool.... but also frustrating. If they can build a chassis like that, why don't they make a more sporting bike?  I know, I know.... I am not their target consumer.

I've often thought the same thing. I remember reading a Willy Davidson interview about 20 years ago where he was asked the same question. He responded somewhere along the lines that their core audience wouldn't tolerate it  Rolleyes

veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 06:37:24 pm »

Yeah, interesting chassis, but I'm hooked on gas engines.

I'd ride it if I got the chance, but electric seems too appliance like, and the range, well we all know about that.

Thanks for sharing, it's interesting to get a first person feel for it.

Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 09:43:39 am »

More details and a piece on a demo day in New York:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/24/5837642/riding-project-livewire-harley-davidson-first-electric-motorcycle

I'm still not convinced that I would really enjoy riding a bike that just made a whining noise even more bland than the average heavily silenced four cylinder bike. And what would be the range in winter with a cold battery running lights and heated grips? What about ABS and traction control and all the other things that each take a little bit of ECU power? Could always strap a generator to the pillion seat I guess! Lol

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal