Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: New to the Ducati world  (Read 7742 times)

Kool shades

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '06 Ducati ST3, '08 Monster 696
GPS: Ontario, Canukistan
Miles Typed: 577

My Photo Gallery

Tonights forcast: Dark

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2014, 12:22:14 am »

So, I've bought an '06 ST3. I pick it up on Friday. Banana

I need some advice on service intervals.

The bike has 10,000Km on it & I'm reading that it needs to go in at 12k.

My question is: if I don't take it in until 14k, am I courting disaster?

Not trying to be a smartass, it's just that I'm taking a weeklong road trip at the end of this month &  I'm figuring that the "12K" might happen in the middle of said road trip.

Cheers
Phil

A tragedy is a man who's living in his own skin & can't stand the company...
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

viffergyrl

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:13:12 am »

Um... let's see.... you're buying a bike that is 8 years old with 10,000 km on it (6200 miles) so it hasn't been ridden much as far as you know. Don't you think you might want to change out the fluids and check the rubber bits? What do you know about the bike and its life prior to you buying it? And you are going on a long trip? Are you putting new tires on it? Oh and check the electrical system?

I bought a low miles 2001 ST4 about a year ago and found rotted out cam tensioners on it - pretty much engine damage if those break or slip on you. The previous owner claimed 'fresh service'. Not. Replaced the oil, coolant, brake fluid, etc. Plus much more.

We buy a lot of used bikes and the first thing we do is take all the plastics off and go through the bike methodically. We've found a lot of things that could potentially ruin a trip.

If you are not mechanically handy I would definitely take it to someone you trust and have them go through the bike.

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
KLRchickie
Motorcycle Freak

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: '05 KLR 650, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R125, '06 TT-R 230
GPS: Calgary, AB, CA
Miles Typed: 1260

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:06:37 am »

Cam belts should be changed every two years, or at the recommended mileage interval, whichever comes first.  Catastrophic engine damage results if those suckers fail on you, so if you can't be POSITIVE they're new enough, that right there is a cause for getting the bike serviced before the trip.

KLRchickie

http://rockymountainmotards.com, Supermoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!! http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/
Advertisement

Kool shades

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:22:07 pm »

Ok, my bad. I should have included all that info.
The dealer I'm buying it from is top notch. I've bought 3 non Ducati's from them in the past. They are "The apple of Ducati's eye" as it were, winning awards every year. Annnndd, I'm fully aware of the "big deal" being muttered by somebody as they read that.

They are doing the LOF, replacing the tires, battery, & timing belts. As well as giving me a 6 month warranty. But they didn't want to do the 12K service yet. Service manager told me to ride it until then, get a feel for it & then we'd talk at 12K.

After I pick it up it's going over to a friends place to give it the "once over" & have the suspension set up. In his younger years, he used to race professionally. Now he is a service manager for the local Harley dealer Crazy

My question is: is it imperative to get it in at 12K on the button?

And thanks, I appreciate the input.

Kool shades

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:32:22 pm »

And as I sit here re-reading your reply's, I think I've just answered my own question...

It'll be going in for the 12K service before it goes on any distance trips... It's not going to be much of a trip anyway, maybe 1500km.

Thanks again.

viffergyrl

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:45:07 pm »

Well now that you've supplied more information....  Lol

Re-fresh my memory on the 12K service - what does it include? (I'm not sitting in front of the home computer with the service manual in front of me). Is there a valve check at that interval and is that what is bothering you? If so then it is not surprising the service manager wants to put you off.  Lol

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

Kool shades

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 06:26:45 pm »

yup. There's a valve check. It appears that they do most everything except change the coolant & fork oil(which I'm going to do)

No, I'm not bothered by it. However, being  brand new to Ducati's & having heard all of the scary stories about Duc's and their valves and the $$$$$$$ involved. I just want to do things right.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the input.

viffergyrl

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 06:53:52 pm »

Eh, it's not that bad.  Bigsmile

My 'mechanic' (Inlove) would rather work on a Ducati than a BMW (and we have 2 more valves than you do). I actually think you could wait if the valves are all you are worried about at this point. Visit the folks here for more information:

http://www.ducati.ms/

Best wishes for your trip!

Desmo Duc

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:35:15 pm »

You say the bike has 12k Km...Maintenance in Km is every 10k Km, it's every 6K miles(actually 6200 miles)...So actually valve maintenance is past due, and your next service would be 20k Km.  You're most likely going to be OK since it does have new belts, but I wouldn't wait too long to do the 10k Km service.  At my 12k mile service, I had 3 really tight valves on my ST3.

04 Ducati ST3 -
07 Ducati 999s Parts Unlimited
Epyon

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ‘09 Street Triple R, ‘10 S1000RR
Miles Typed: 83

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 03:42:45 am »

Wouldn't it have been advisable to have the valves checked when the belt service was done?  I know the dealer didn't want to do it but wouldn't the labor to do belts partly over lap with the valve check?  New to Duc's, well hoping to be new to Duc's next year that is heh.
st ryder

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 12:30:00 am »

So, I've bought an '06 ST3. I pick it up on Friday. Banana

I need some advice on service intervals.

The bike has 10,000Km on it & I'm reading that it needs to go in at 12k.

My question is: if I don't take it in until 14k, am I courting disaster?

Not trying to be a smartass, it's just that I'm taking a weeklong road trip at the end of this month &  I'm figuring that the "12K" might happen in the middle of said road trip.

Cheers
Phil

Check your owner's manual for the service intervals. They were changed for 2006/'07 to be a little longer re valve shim checks but not belt changes which remained at 24 months or max mileage IIRC. The issue of belts is always a topic of discussion  for 2 reasons: Firstly, there's the  "Why change them every 24 months if they look good/have little mileage on them?"  issue; secondly, the "tension" issue, as in how to. Though catastrophic engine failure is assured should a belt let go or ratchet on the pulleys, it's an "interference" not "free wheeling" engine, i.e. piston will hit the valves at TDC, actual reports of ruined engines due to belt failures remain somewhat rare.

ST3 engines will take at least 10-12K miles to "break in" so the shim clearance issue is a concern for lower mileage engines. After a while, the rounded profile collets get pounded down and swapping shims becomes less frequent, though they should still be checked at the intervals. I do my own belts changes and shim checks/adjust, and the last time I checked my shims, they'll be okay until the next check, and that will give me an 18K miles interval with no shim changes. (You can buy aftermarket, MBP "square" profile collets that guarantee 18K shim intervals if you have a lot of extra dosh)

Get yourself a factory manual, and join Ducati MS and the Yahoo ST2 mailing list for great information on issues concerning the ST3 and how to work on them unless you have deep pockets that is. Smile (and you must because you own a Ducati...lol)

But the belts and shims are only 1 immediate issue for you. What you *really* want to do *RIGHT NOW* is to check the torque on your engine mounting bots, especially the rear. 60 Nm +/- 5%.

Make sure you dial your rear shock in too, re sag right away too. The stock Sachs is a *realllll* PITA to adjust, so you may want to consider taking it right off the bike to dial in preload, and taking off the right side rear side body/storage panel to dial in the compression.  

I have had my 2005 since new/9 season so far, and am happy to say I have had no major issues re breakdowns or dealer required repairs, only one minor warranty claim, and no recalls. The Ducati ST3 is a damn fine machine, if you keep on top of the preventive and scheduled maintenance. Smile

Regards,

Frank,  2005 Ducati ST3(Red!) (Veni, Vedi,...Ducati!)
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 01:51:57 am »

Eh, I would feel comfortable letting it go a few thousand km on the valve service depending how you ride.  I always go in right away, but plenty of people just stop checking them after the 3rd service because they're either still in spec or don't have issues.

...but glad you're having the belts taken care of.  That is a big deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal