Poll
Question: Both are the same price, which would you take and why
2006 Lancer EVO - 10 (18.9%)
2007 WRX STI - 43 (81.1%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Motorcycle riders decide - 2007 WRX STI or 2006 Lancer EVO both are new  (Read 4097 times)

USA MEDIC
Member for a long time!!!

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2010 R1200GS Adventure Special Edition
GPS: Northern CA
Miles Typed: 239

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2007, 10:29:22 pm »

???
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

keystonejenks

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: 2008 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: Chambersburg, PA
Miles Typed: 3075

My Photo Gallery

C'MON SON!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:30:08 am »

This is a really tough one for me. I love both cars. I have a soft spot for the Lancer EVO though. I was so glad when they finally brought the EVO to the US and not the watered-down "Lancer" we were initially brought.

Next summer I'll probably post a similar poll with one additional car added to the list (Saab 9-3 Aero). I have a feeling my wife will say the WRX STi and EVO are not good "family" vehicles, even though it's her duty to have the "family" vehicle.  Lol
GooseMan

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: Los Angles, CA
Miles Typed: 742

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 11:41:01 am »

I have a WRX (non STI) and I love it! I used to have a 2000 2.5 RS which I LOVED, but got rid of it because I needed a bigger vehicle for work. I ended up with a Mazda 6 wagon. It was OK...but once you go Subaru, you cant go back! So I sold it and got a 2006 WRX Wagon. I'm happy again!  Bigsmile Lol

The EVO is a good car, but I really dislike the interior. The STI has a nicer interior, and the 2.5L engine is a REAL torque monster! I've taken a VERY fast ride in an STI, and the thing FLIES! Sticks to the road like nothing else. It's really a wild ride.

If you want a lot of info, check out the forums at www.nasioc.com
Advertisement

keystonejenks

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: 2008 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: Chambersburg, PA
Miles Typed: 3075

My Photo Gallery

C'MON SON!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 12:22:47 pm »

The EVO is a good car, but I really dislike the interior. The STI has a nicer interior, and the 2.5L engine is a REAL torque monster! I've taken a VERY fast ride in an STI, and the thing FLIES! Sticks to the road like nothing else. It's really a wild ride.

Funny you should say that. I always thought the EVO interior was nicer. I thought some of the metal finishes in the STi looked plastic. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either car.

You did make a comment that I've heard over-and-over again. People who buy Subarus LOVE THEM. Once they buy them, they keep buying them.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13728

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 12:25:33 pm »

I've got an 02 WRX wagon and love it.  Very nice AWD, great power, good road-holding - it's great for winter.  That said, it is a very small car.  The Evo might have additional interior space - I'm not sure as I've never really checked them out.

Too bad I'll be getting rid of it soon to get another pick-up for towing and cargo needs.   Sad

I would get the Subie!  
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 02:18:55 pm »

Subie. They sound cooler.

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Mookie
1/31/07 Never forget

Reputation -363

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: Slotard and a Duke
GPS: land of the sea chickens
Miles Typed: 7831

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 05:07:37 pm »

From a performance standpoint I'm gonna have to go with the Lancer.  I hear too many complaints about understeering on the Subie and have yet to hear that about the Mitsu.  That said, I think the lancer looks and feels like it's glued together.  All those little cheap plastic bits stuck on everywhere just don't do it for me.

I'd get the STi (the wagon when they eventually bring those over) and put a killer exhaust system on it.  Those things sound sooo mean when they're uncorked

Mookie, the king of stupid Obamunist trolls on STN.
-FiremanBob
ridetherejk

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '03 BMW R 1150 GS Adventure, '04 Honda 919
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 11:33:59 pm »

I have work on both brands of cars for years in the collision repair field. As far as Subaru goes, other than the fact that the bolts rust, they are built well and last a lifetime. You do not see the rust but be careful when taking them apart, you might bust some bolts. Although not many.
I've never worked on a Lancer, but the rest of the line of cars and trucks rust much worse then the Subarus do. On most, you will break more than half of the bolts that you have to remove ( bumpers, fenders, headlights,ect...). Thumbsdown And worse than that, the structural parts of the car rusts out. The older Mazdas did the same thing.
My mom has a '98 Legacy Outback, girlfriend has a '07 Impreza, and girlfriends son has an '90 something Impreza. Mom wants another when this one dies, girlfriend loves hers, and girlfriends son wants another. I would buy a WRX if I was going to buy a car. I've driven all three and love them all.  Hail
Don't know if this helps or hurts

John
'03 BMW R 1150 GS Adventure
'04 Honda 919 '98 Triumph Tiger
STI-51

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 176

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 01:26:33 am »

My vote goes for the STi, I have an '05!  Everytime I drive my buddy's 06 IX, I can't wait to get back into my car.  I still love the Evo nonetheless and don't think you could go wrong either way.  I do like the looks of the Evo better though.

I went through the same decision-making process back when I was looking.  Instead of reiterating all my reasons, I'll let you research the pros and cons of each on iwsti.com and evolutionm.net.  One factor that often gets overlooked is cost.  Although the IX's sticker price was less than the STi, it would have cost me much more over the term of the loan based on the crappy financing rates Mitsu was offering on the Evo (9% vs. 2.9% on the Subie).  

So, assuming the following (understanding prices and rates will vary):
60 month term
STi at $34,000 with 2.9%: total cost = $39k (using TVM factors)
Evo at $30,000 with 9%:                 = $47k!!! Ouch

Of course, for those that don't finance, this is not an issue.

2006 Ducati ST3S (Black)
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4508

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 03:19:26 am »

I recently test drove both of these cars and my vote is for the WRX, oh wait, the WRX I drove wasn't an STI it was the "Tuner Ready" version, but it still gets my vote!

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
ksann
Super Moderator

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: R12ST
GPS: 49 hours from Jacksonville
Miles Typed: 8389

My Photo Gallery

You are missed my friend. RIP

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 01:35:40 pm »

Bobby, I think that you need to pm Kevin Stevens, as he has put his Evo through more than most drivers, and is very knowledgable on the STi's too.

He Autocrosses his Evo on a National level, and has Ohlins on it too  EEK!

ken

Proud, & Pretty, father of the worlds most beautiful little girl. The bestest one!
Farked Up
SuperStrom 650

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 116

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 11:45:48 pm »

Whoop-de-doo for the Subaru-u-u!!! But, wife must have an automatic. Is that an option?
Mookie
1/31/07 Never forget

Reputation -363

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: Slotard and a Duke
GPS: land of the sea chickens
Miles Typed: 7831

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 02:25:11 pm »

Please do everyone a favor and don't buy either one of those in an automatic.  

Mookie, the king of stupid Obamunist trolls on STN.
-FiremanBob
Real Bad Attitude

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: Triumph Bonneville T100
GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 2020

My Photo Gallery

An armed society is a polite society

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 03:28:35 pm »

I have a 2003 WRX. And it is the most amazing car I've ever had.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have".

toddrod

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
GPS: San Jose, CA
Miles Typed: 5636

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 03:35:09 pm »

Mitsubishi is coming out with a new EVO X next year. I would wait till then because I hear it is supposed to take a step up in peformance.

I just wanna throw the "Yo!"
shah269

Reputation -65226

Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 03:35:37 pm »

Please do everyone a favor and don't buy either one of those in an automatic.  

+1!
toddrod

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
GPS: San Jose, CA
Miles Typed: 5636

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 03:37:51 pm »

they aren't available in automatic....

I also wanted to add...Bobby...are you really sure you want to get one of these cars? You are gonna be annoyed at all the teenagers that will try to race you every weekend. I think the cars are the tops in peformance, but I only see dorky teen poser wannabe racer driving them. Also, talk about LEO magnet  Lol

I just wanna throw the "Yo!"
Penforhire
'08 R1200RT

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 04:16:31 pm »

The Subaru gets my vote and here's why.  Mitsu has been too hard-ass about their warranty policy.  Subaru has sort of a menu of failures they will pay for, more extensive and less hassle than Mitsu's policy which blames the driver too often.
cb400
Stunningly Adequate since 1962

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '03 Aprilia Tuono, '98 Helix scooter
GPS: Odenton, MD
Miles Typed: 288

My Photo Gallery

Thunder!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 04:33:23 pm »

A slightly different take. I looked at the WRX and WRX STi when I was car shopping, along with the Legacy GT sedan.  I felt the the stiff suspension of the WRX and stiffer STi, would be pretty wearing after a few thousand miles, not withstanding the additional interior noise.  I guess if you're going to autocross the thing it might be better, but if you want a fast, but a lot more comfortable daily driver, the Turbo Legacy might be the ticket. Yes, it's not the Sti, but it's a better road use car, at least in my opinion.  It also can tow 2700 Lbs, which is nice.

Only drawback to my Legacy is the high cost of the recommended services.  They want more than $500 to do the 30K service. It does include dropping all the fluids (brake/trans/diffs/coolant/oil) but it's still high. I just had them do the fluid changes. was still $300.

Good luck

--jeff  

Now with new Italian taste!
SuperHans
Liberal Pinhead

Reputation 110

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: Warpig
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 4784

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 04:49:13 pm »

How about the upcoming 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X  Drool

Anarchy on the STN
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal