Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2015 Indian Scout  (Read 18054 times)

Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Uly.
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1628

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2014, 10:02:17 am »

Not what I would have hoped for, but...

Consider these specs: “dripping wet,” Gray says, the Scout weighs just 558 pounds, the lightest in its class by a considerable amount. The 69 cubic-inch (1,133cc), liquid cooled, DOHC, four-valve V-twin produces a claimed 100 horsepower and 72 pound-feet of torque, numbers that shame most other cruisers and favorably compare to some sportbikes... And here’s the best part—the MSRP is just $10,999, or a whopping $8,000 cheaper than the cheapest Indian Chief Classic. Consider that barrier to entry officially breached.

http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/2015-indian-scout-first-look-2-44911.html?src=SOC&dom=fb
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

naustin

Reputation 9

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1410

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:28:49 am »

that's actually sharp.    Thumbsup   Never been a cruiser guy, but I like it.

Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Uly.
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1628

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:31:38 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zny8Wdpk9Gk&feature=player_embedded

I really wanted this to be a performance standard, not a 600# cruiser with forward controls and tiny gas tank.  Seems like such a waste of an opportunity, but I guess they have to play to the market.  I'd rather have an XR1200.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:34:45 am by Kraz » Logged
Advertisement

veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:34:56 am »

only 53 lbs heavier than my VFR, about the same HP, WAY more torque, and far cheaper than any sport-tourer

they are gonna sell like hotcakes.

Nice to see someone cares about performance and weight in a cruiser.

I'm not the target audience, but I appreciate it.

mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:36:19 am »

In my perfect world the Scout would have been the base for a Pro Twin flatrack assault.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:26:46 pm »

I don't know much about it but, from just looking at the picture, the bodywork, seat etc just seems a lot more integrated than any Harley I've seen.

Lovely saddle color.

The bike looks sharp  Thumbsup

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '07 Norge, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1120

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 12:30:59 pm »

Not a fan...too much like a V-rod clone. It doesn't remind me in any way of a Scout. A Sportster clone seems like it would have been a better idea...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 01:14:13 pm »

With that look, those specs, and that price, Polaris will sell every single one they can make. We may not be the target audience for that bike, but I'm not sure they could have put a better combination together for the masses of cruiser riders. Indian needs a volume seller to bring back their name recognition, and this just might do the trick.

Not normally my kind of bike, and I'm not really in the market for a bike of any kind right now, and I'm still interested enough to want to find a dealer and see one in person.  Inlove

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 01:19:07 pm »

Too bulky and that radiator looks like somebody grafted Hoover Dam onto a motorcycle.  

My Dad had a 1940 Indian Scout back in his early 20s as an Army Air Corps cadet, so I'm biased.  He scared the hell out of the woman who would become our mom one day on a ride to a picnic while he was stationed near Sebring, Fla.  Evdently, Dad found one of few curvy roads in all of the Sunshine State and Mom was not amused.   Bigsmile

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: Bikeless in NJ
GPS: Pequannock, N.J.
Miles Typed: 3447

My Photo Gallery

There is no you, there is only me

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 05:00:52 pm »

that's actually sharp.    Thumbsup   Never been a cruiser guy, but I like it.

Same here. The more i see it the more I like it. Very interested to hear some actual riders opinions on handling and build quality.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're so hard to verify." - Abraham Lincoln
BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: r1200rs
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 594

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 06:41:25 pm »

I really like this, BUT was hoping for something more standard/performance and less cruiser. Obviously that is what sells for HD
and every model of theirs like the Sportster sport/r, fxdx, fxr, street rod ends up being chopped, but I was hoping Indian would set the stage with their very strong race history. Still wouldn't take much to adjust this platform and kudos to Polaris for the second new engine in just a couple of years, that's serious $$ invested for future models so my fingers are crossed.

Retired and loving it.
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 10:37:06 pm »

Sportster beware.  Crazy
Harley better be paying attention because this bike, at that price is going to be a SERIOUS threat to the Sportster sales. The only thing holding it back is the dealer network.

I too was hoping for something more "standard" like, but in the midsize cruiser market this bike has the goods (on paper at least) to absolutely mop the floor with everything else out there!  Thumbsup  I absolutely LOVE the look: the sharp edges blended with the smooth surfaces, the industrial looking engine, the classic yet somehow modern "feel" to the whole thing. That is a BEAUTIFUL bike! Back that up with some serious HP (for a cruiser) and, what appears to be a decent chassis (again, for a cruiser), and that thing is quite the package. Inlove Thumbsup EEK!
If I were in the market I would have no problem driving well out of my way to buy this over a Sportster.

*edit* Just looked: the nearest Indian dealer is less than 1hr away, there's actually at least a 1/2 dozen dealers within 2-3hrs of my hometown.  Bigsmile  
I may just have to check this bike out sometime. I wonder if they do test rides.  Bigsmile
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:11:25 pm by Rattlehead » Logged

insert witty saying here.
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: VFR1200, CB500X
Miles Typed: 552

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 02:40:00 pm »

Not a fan...too much like a V-rod clone. It doesn't remind me in any way of a Scout. A Sportster clone seems like it would have been a better idea...

Couldn't diagree more.  I like that they built a modern motorcycle instead of instead of a refreshed antique.  Liquid cooling and ride by wire for $11k.  100 hp (guessing at the crank) and 72 tq should be a lot more entertaining than a 60 hp Sportster 1200 or a 65hp HD big twin.

It makes decent power, isn't insanely heavy, has actual ground clearance, and a real cast aluminum chassis.  Hell, it might even be fun to ride.  The last cruiser that I thought was fun was the 3rd gen V4 Honda Magna.

The original Scout was a forward thinking performance motorcycle.  Why should the new one be a super slow dog with technology that's 60 years out of date??

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:45:02 pm by Tpoppa » Logged

I can be found on any twisty backroad in SE OH or WV.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '07 Norge, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, GL1100 , XT350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 03:28:37 pm »

The original Scout was the smaller, lighter, more basic bike...this one just looks big and heavy, though admittedly, if the numbers can be believed it's not too bad...it's the gimmicky styling stuff that kills it for me. I still think the designers were looking at a V Rod when they did this. Other than the fender gimmick, there isn't much that says traditional American bike...maybe that is a good thing. I must be too old...lol

Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 08:17:06 pm »

Couldn't diagree more.  I like that they built a modern motorcycle instead of instead of a refreshed antique.  Liquid cooling and ride by wire for $11k.  100 hp (guessing at the crank) and 72 tq should be a lot more entertaining than a 60 hp Sportster 1200 or a 65hp HD big twin.

It makes decent power, isn't insanely heavy, has actual ground clearance, and a real cast aluminum chassis.  Hell, it might even be fun to ride.  The last cruiser that I thought was fun was the 3rd gen V4 Honda Magna.

The original Scout was a forward thinking performance motorcycle.  Why should the new one be a super slow dog with technology that's 60 years out of date??

+1000!  I love that Polaris isn't painting Indian in the same corner that Harley painted themselves in and only offer "classic styled" cruisers. From what I've read on Indian they were always the forward thinkers and innovators of their day. I think Polaris is playing to Indian's FULL "heritage", not just the 50's styled bikes that most remember.  Thumbsup

I'm actually REALLY excited to see how this all plays out in the coming years. With Indian covering the cruiser market (and seemingly doing a DARN good job at it!) maybe Victory will be free to bring in some standards, ADV bikes, Sport tourers or who knows what!  Bigok  Dare I dream of a Victory badged, American made replacement for my beloved Buell???  Inlove

insert witty saying here.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 09:07:26 pm »

+1000!  I love that Polaris isn't painting Indian in the same corner that Harley painted themselves in and only offer "classic styled" cruisers. From what I've read on Indian they were always the forward thinkers and innovators of their day. I think Polaris is playing to Indian's FULL "heritage", not just the 50's styled bikes that most remember.  Thumbsup

I'm actually REALLY excited to see how this all plays out in the coming years. With Indian covering the cruiser market (and seemingly doing a DARN good job at it!) maybe Victory will be free to bring in some standards, ADV bikes, Sport tourers or who knows what!  Bigok  Dare I dream of a Victory badged, American made replacement for my beloved Buell???  Inlove

but, but...isn't the whole idea of reviving a dead historical brand to trade on the history? Why not let Victory be the forward thinking company, and use the Indian name on the retro stuff? Indian wasn't really that forward thinking in their day...that was Crocker, Henderson, Excelsior and the other smaller players. It was only compared to Harley that Indian was advanced.
 I'm sure it is going to be a great bike, but you have to wonder if there is really room for more liquid cooled semi retro bikes with questionable styling. The V-Rod isn't exactly selling like hotcakes.

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 11:09:45 pm »

Indian is trying to win market share.  The Scout has interest on HDforums, here, and even the sport bike boards I follow.  I think it made the exact impact that Indian was going for.  For $11k would you rather ride this Scout or the 99th warmed-over-refreshed version of the same tired Sportster 1200?

I don't dislike all HD riders, but I have a REALLY hard time taking seriously the one's that will "never ride anything but an air cooled HD."  You know the ones, "I'd rather have a sister in a whore house than a brother on a Honda."

There are so many things you can do on 2 wheels that you CAN'T do on an air cooled HD.  Why limit yourself?  I don't even consider them real motorcycle riders, they are Brand Fags...even worse than Apple Brand Fags.

I am happy to see an American company build a cruiser with today's tech.

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 11:20:46 pm »

but, but...isn't the whole idea of reviving a dead historical brand to trade on the history? Why not let Victory be the forward thinking company, and use the Indian name on the retro stuff? Indian wasn't really that forward thinking in their day...that was Crocker, Henderson, Excelsior and the other smaller players. It was only compared to Harley that Indian was advanced.
 I'm sure it is going to be a great bike, but you have to wonder if there is really room for more liquid cooled semi retro bikes with questionable styling. The V-Rod isn't exactly selling like hotcakes.

Do you think the V Rod would sell any better if it was $5k cheaper and 100lbs lighter?

I think the whole idea of riviving Indian was to win market share from HD.  From what I've been reading, it seems that this Scout has a real chance to take a bite out of Sportster sales.  I hope it does just that.  

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 12:52:31 am »

Do you think the V Rod would sell any better if it was $5k cheaper and 100lbs lighter?

I think the whole idea of riviving Indian was to win market share from HD.  From what I've been reading, it seems that this Scout has a real chance to take a bite out of Sportster sales.  I hope it does just that.  

Yeah, cheaper and lighter definitely can't hurt, even if the hp isn't quite there. Maybe it will take some sales from Harley when the new riders are moving up from the Street 750. Around here Harley has the majority of the market, and Victory is barely even getting a toehold.  I just have my doubts about Indian taking much of the Harley market with an odd looking bike that doesn't really recall the Indian past (to my old-fashioned eye). It's still that Harley name that sells around here (except for the V-rod...they can't give em away here).  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:58:52 am by motrhead » Logged

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 251

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2304

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 10:35:20 am »

As many have stated, I'm also not a cruiser guy. Maybe if I was rich I'd have one of every type of bike and this I would consider as the one cruiser for my collection! Looks good to me and has good specs on paper.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal