Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2015 Indian Scout  (Read 18063 times)

Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Uly.
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1628

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2014, 10:02:17 am »

Not what I would have hoped for, but...

Consider these specs: “dripping wet,” Gray says, the Scout weighs just 558 pounds, the lightest in its class by a considerable amount. The 69 cubic-inch (1,133cc), liquid cooled, DOHC, four-valve V-twin produces a claimed 100 horsepower and 72 pound-feet of torque, numbers that shame most other cruisers and favorably compare to some sportbikes... And here’s the best part—the MSRP is just $10,999, or a whopping $8,000 cheaper than the cheapest Indian Chief Classic. Consider that barrier to entry officially breached.

http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/2015-indian-scout-first-look-2-44911.html?src=SOC&dom=fb
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

naustin

Reputation 9

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1410

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:28:49 am »

that's actually sharp.    Thumbsup   Never been a cruiser guy, but I like it.

Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Uly.
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1628

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:31:38 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zny8Wdpk9Gk&feature=player_embedded

I really wanted this to be a performance standard, not a 600# cruiser with forward controls and tiny gas tank.  Seems like such a waste of an opportunity, but I guess they have to play to the market.  I'd rather have an XR1200.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:34:45 am by Kraz » Logged
Advertisement

veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:34:56 am »

only 53 lbs heavier than my VFR, about the same HP, WAY more torque, and far cheaper than any sport-tourer

they are gonna sell like hotcakes.

Nice to see someone cares about performance and weight in a cruiser.

I'm not the target audience, but I appreciate it.

mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:36:19 am »

In my perfect world the Scout would have been the base for a Pro Twin flatrack assault.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:26:46 pm »

I don't know much about it but, from just looking at the picture, the bodywork, seat etc just seems a lot more integrated than any Harley I've seen.

Lovely saddle color.

The bike looks sharp  Thumbsup

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '07 Norge, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1120

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 12:30:59 pm »

Not a fan...too much like a V-rod clone. It doesn't remind me in any way of a Scout. A Sportster clone seems like it would have been a better idea...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 01:14:13 pm »

With that look, those specs, and that price, Polaris will sell every single one they can make. We may not be the target audience for that bike, but I'm not sure they could have put a better combination together for the masses of cruiser riders. Indian needs a volume seller to bring back their name recognition, and this just might do the trick.

Not normally my kind of bike, and I'm not really in the market for a bike of any kind right now, and I'm still interested enough to want to find a dealer and see one in person.  Inlove

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 01:19:07 pm »

Too bulky and that radiator looks like somebody grafted Hoover Dam onto a motorcycle.  

My Dad had a 1940 Indian Scout back in his early 20s as an Army Air Corps cadet, so I'm biased.  He scared the hell out of the woman who would become our mom one day on a ride to a picnic while he was stationed near Sebring, Fla.  Evdently, Dad found one of few curvy roads in all of the Sunshine State and Mom was not amused.   Bigsmile

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: Bikeless in NJ
GPS: Pequannock, N.J.
Miles Typed: 3447

My Photo Gallery

There is no you, there is only me

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 05:00:52 pm »

that's actually sharp.    Thumbsup   Never been a cruiser guy, but I like it.

Same here. The more i see it the more I like it. Very interested to hear some actual riders opinions on handling and build quality.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're so hard to verify." - Abraham Lincoln
BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: r1200rs
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 594

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 06:41:25 pm »

I really like this, BUT was hoping for something more standard/performance and less cruiser. Obviously that is what sells for HD
and every model of theirs like the Sportster sport/r, fxdx, fxr, street rod ends up being chopped, but I was hoping Indian would set the stage with their very strong race history. Still wouldn't take much to adjust this platform and kudos to Polaris for the second new engine in just a couple of years, that's serious $$ invested for future models so my fingers are crossed.

Retired and loving it.
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 10:37:06 pm »

Sportster beware.  Crazy
Harley better be paying attention because this bike, at that price is going to be a SERIOUS threat to the Sportster sales. The only thing holding it back is the dealer network.

I too was hoping for something more "standard" like, but in the midsize cruiser market this bike has the goods (on paper at least) to absolutely mop the floor with everything else out there!  Thumbsup  I absolutely LOVE the look: the sharp edges blended with the smooth surfaces, the industrial looking engine, the classic yet somehow modern "feel" to the whole thing. That is a BEAUTIFUL bike! Back that up with some serious HP (for a cruiser) and, what appears to be a decent chassis (again, for a cruiser), and that thing is quite the package. Inlove Thumbsup EEK!
If I were in the market I would have no problem driving well out of my way to buy this over a Sportster.

*edit* Just looked: the nearest Indian dealer is less than 1hr away, there's actually at least a 1/2 dozen dealers within 2-3hrs of my hometown.  Bigsmile  
I may just have to check this bike out sometime. I wonder if they do test rides.  Bigsmile
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:11:25 pm by Rattlehead » Logged

insert witty saying here.
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: VFR1200, CB500X
Miles Typed: 552

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 02:40:00 pm »

Not a fan...too much like a V-rod clone. It doesn't remind me in any way of a Scout. A Sportster clone seems like it would have been a better idea...

Couldn't diagree more.  I like that they built a modern motorcycle instead of instead of a refreshed antique.  Liquid cooling and ride by wire for $11k.  100 hp (guessing at the crank) and 72 tq should be a lot more entertaining than a 60 hp Sportster 1200 or a 65hp HD big twin.

It makes decent power, isn't insanely heavy, has actual ground clearance, and a real cast aluminum chassis.  Hell, it might even be fun to ride.  The last cruiser that I thought was fun was the 3rd gen V4 Honda Magna.

The original Scout was a forward thinking performance motorcycle.  Why should the new one be a super slow dog with technology that's 60 years out of date??

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:45:02 pm by Tpoppa » Logged

I can be found on any twisty backroad in SE OH or WV.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '07 Norge, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, GL1100 , XT350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 03:28:37 pm »

The original Scout was the smaller, lighter, more basic bike...this one just looks big and heavy, though admittedly, if the numbers can be believed it's not too bad...it's the gimmicky styling stuff that kills it for me. I still think the designers were looking at a V Rod when they did this. Other than the fender gimmick, there isn't much that says traditional American bike...maybe that is a good thing. I must be too old...lol

Rattlehead

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 08:17:06 pm »

Couldn't diagree more.  I like that they built a modern motorcycle instead of instead of a refreshed antique.  Liquid cooling and ride by wire for $11k.  100 hp (guessing at the crank) and 72 tq should be a lot more entertaining than a 60 hp Sportster 1200 or a 65hp HD big twin.

It makes decent power, isn't insanely heavy, has actual ground clearance, and a real cast aluminum chassis.  Hell, it might even be fun to ride.  The last cruiser that I thought was fun was the 3rd gen V4 Honda Magna.

The original Scout was a forward thinking performance motorcycle.  Why should the new one be a super slow dog with technology that's 60 years out of date??

+1000!  I love that Polaris isn't painting Indian in the same corner that Harley painted themselves in and only offer "classic styled" cruisers. From what I've read on Indian they were always the forward thinkers and innovators of their day. I think Polaris is playing to Indian's FULL "heritage", not just the 50's styled bikes that most remember.  Thumbsup

I'm actually REALLY excited to see how this all plays out in the coming years. With Indian covering the cruiser market (and seemingly doing a DARN good job at it!) maybe Victory will be free to bring in some standards, ADV bikes, Sport tourers or who knows what!  Bigok  Dare I dream of a Victory badged, American made replacement for my beloved Buell???  Inlove

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 09:07:26 pm »

+1000!  I love that Polaris isn't painting Indian in the same corner that Harley painted themselves in and only offer "classic styled" cruisers. From what I've read on Indian they were always the forward thinkers and innovators of their day. I think Polaris is playing to Indian's FULL "heritage", not just the 50's styled bikes that most remember.  Thumbsup

I'm actually REALLY excited to see how this all plays out in the coming years. With Indian covering the cruiser market (and seemingly doing a DARN good job at it!) maybe Victory will be free to bring in some standards, ADV bikes, Sport tourers or who knows what!  Bigok  Dare I dream of a Victory badged, American made replacement for my beloved Buell???  Inlove

but, but...isn't the whole idea of reviving a dead historical brand to trade on the history? Why not let Victory be the forward thinking company, and use the Indian name on the retro stuff? Indian wasn't really that forward thinking in their day...that was Crocker, Henderson, Excelsior and the other smaller players. It was only compared to Harley that Indian was advanced.
 I'm sure it is going to be a great bike, but you have to wonder if there is really room for more liquid cooled semi retro bikes with questionable styling. The V-Rod isn't exactly selling like hotcakes.

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 11:09:45 pm »

Indian is trying to win market share.  The Scout has interest on HDforums, here, and even the sport bike boards I follow.  I think it made the exact impact that Indian was going for.  For $11k would you rather ride this Scout or the 99th warmed-over-refreshed version of the same tired Sportster 1200?

I don't dislike all HD riders, but I have a REALLY hard time taking seriously the one's that will "never ride anything but an air cooled HD."  You know the ones, "I'd rather have a sister in a whore house than a brother on a Honda."

There are so many things you can do on 2 wheels that you CAN'T do on an air cooled HD.  Why limit yourself?  I don't even consider them real motorcycle riders, they are Brand Fags...even worse than Apple Brand Fags.

I am happy to see an American company build a cruiser with today's tech.

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 11:20:46 pm »

but, but...isn't the whole idea of reviving a dead historical brand to trade on the history? Why not let Victory be the forward thinking company, and use the Indian name on the retro stuff? Indian wasn't really that forward thinking in their day...that was Crocker, Henderson, Excelsior and the other smaller players. It was only compared to Harley that Indian was advanced.
 I'm sure it is going to be a great bike, but you have to wonder if there is really room for more liquid cooled semi retro bikes with questionable styling. The V-Rod isn't exactly selling like hotcakes.

Do you think the V Rod would sell any better if it was $5k cheaper and 100lbs lighter?

I think the whole idea of riviving Indian was to win market share from HD.  From what I've been reading, it seems that this Scout has a real chance to take a bite out of Sportster sales.  I hope it does just that.  

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 12:52:31 am »

Do you think the V Rod would sell any better if it was $5k cheaper and 100lbs lighter?

I think the whole idea of riviving Indian was to win market share from HD.  From what I've been reading, it seems that this Scout has a real chance to take a bite out of Sportster sales.  I hope it does just that.  

Yeah, cheaper and lighter definitely can't hurt, even if the hp isn't quite there. Maybe it will take some sales from Harley when the new riders are moving up from the Street 750. Around here Harley has the majority of the market, and Victory is barely even getting a toehold.  I just have my doubts about Indian taking much of the Harley market with an odd looking bike that doesn't really recall the Indian past (to my old-fashioned eye). It's still that Harley name that sells around here (except for the V-rod...they can't give em away here).  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:58:52 am by motrhead » Logged

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 251

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2310

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 10:35:20 am »

As many have stated, I'm also not a cruiser guy. Maybe if I was rich I'd have one of every type of bike and this I would consider as the one cruiser for my collection! Looks good to me and has good specs on paper.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
coucours grad

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300
GPS: Covington GA
Miles Typed: 407

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 10:42:29 am »

only 53 lbs heavier than my VFR, about the same HP, WAY more torque, and far cheaper than any sport-tourer

they are gonna sell like hotcakes.

Nice to see someone cares about performance and weight in a cruiser.

I'm not the target audience, but I appreciate it.

Withstupid

quote author=Mrs. DantesDame   Polishing the turd does not make it any less of a turd  Rolleyes
Rattlehead

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 12:03:34 pm »

.....It was only compared to Harley that Indian was advanced.

Then their picking up right where they left off then, huh?  Lol

I have a feeling, 100% speculation mind you, that Indian will be sort of like Victory is now; "advanced" for the cruiser market but still 'old school tech' and Victory will start moving into markets outside cruiser-dom and will be free to flex a little more engineering muscle; something the cruiser market just doesn't allow.

stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 06:10:38 pm »

I read Aaron Frank's 'first ride' story today, and Indian seems to have gotten a lot right. IF I were looking for a cruiser (subject to a test-ride to see for myself, of course), this would likely be my choice. With some shekels spent on suspension.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
james_g

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: San Diego, Ca
Miles Typed: 476

My Photo Gallery

My bike is more fun than yours!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 10:03:17 pm »

I am not a cruiser guy at all but that is one sharp looking bike. Very nice indeed.

james

...a Japanese manufacturer might take the motor, castrate it to about 110 hp and stick it in a cheaper, heavier chassis with low-spec suspension and brakes and slice an ‘R’ or two off the name. That’s not how Aprilia roll
Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 12:29:23 am »

Every review I've read so far has been various shades of glowing about it. Inlove

It'll be interesting to see if they can move this bike in some volume despite a dealer network that doesn't yet match HD and the Big 4. I'm absolutely going to take a long look at one when they hit the showrooms. I keep thinking this bike, especially the first year of production, could be a "forever bike" for me - the kind that stays in your garage forever, no matter what else may come and go.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:34:17 am by Nodaclu » Logged

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 08:17:06 am »

If it sells well, maybe it will light a fire under HD's ass to redesign the Sportster instead of repolishing the same turd year after year.

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 08:19:59 am »

I just notced that Indians have a 5 year warranty.  Very nice.

X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 12:35:00 pm »

I have to wonder if Victory's line of cruisers will have run it's course 5 years from now and Indian will take over their cruiser market.  After all, even though Victory bikes are pretty good, they're not getting the market share that Polaris is looking for.  Maybe some modern styled cruisers, like Victory's, to keep current customers interested, will be using these Chief and Scout engines.

Perhaps the Victory brand will be transformed into sport and standard motorcycles in the future.  It's a pretty cool name for a sport bike.  Polaris breaking into this market isn't far fetched, IMO.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 12:45:35 pm »

While I do like the look of this Scout, there's some things I can't get over.  The forks are aesthetically too spindly next to the huge balloon tires.  17" wheels would allow for a much better selection of tires, not just their Indian branded tires.  3" of suspension is ridiculous.  I'll probably be putting my FXDX up for sale as my spine isn't agreeing with it anymore and it's suspension is pretty good for cruiser comparisons.  25" seat is fine if you're 4'10".  Give me another 1-1.5" of suspension (and more ground clearance for cornering) and a 27" seat height.  27" is low enough.  4 gallon tank should have been minimum.  I know there's an airbox under it taking up room.

Overall, I think this is a winner in this market.  I like how it is more contemporary instead of the tired looking retros they've failed with several times.

If Indian had never shut their doors, they'd have certainly evolved and modernized.  Let HD continue to play their heritage game.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 06:33:08 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zny8Wdpk9Gk&feature=player_embedded

I really wanted this to be a performance standard, not a 600# cruiser with forward controls and tiny gas tank.  Seems like such a waste of an opportunity, but I guess they have to play to the market.  I'd rather have an XR1200.

So would I.  Wink

Video gets an F- for referring to Scout as Scout. Dumbassery.

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 06:34:39 am »

I have to wonder if Victory's line of cruisers will have run it's course 5 years from now and Indian will take over their cruiser market.  After all, even though Victory bikes are pretty good, they're not getting the market share that Polaris is looking for.  Maybe some modern styled cruisers, like Victory's, to keep current customers interested, will be using these Chief and Scout engines.

Perhaps the Victory brand will be transformed into sport and standard motorcycles in the future.  It's a pretty cool name for a sport bike.  Polaris breaking into this market isn't far fetched, IMO.
The new victory magnum. Ugh. Yeah. They have to be over now, right???

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 06:38:33 am »

Then their picking up right where they left off then, huh?  Lol

I have a feeling, 100% speculation mind you, that Indian will be sort of like Victory is now; "advanced" for the cruiser market but still 'old school tech' and Victory will start moving into markets outside cruiser-dom and will be free to flex a little more engineering muscle; something the cruiser market just doesn't allow.

Once again I ask, what's really missing from any modern generation cruiser, consider the bike's intent and the genre's overall sales? Seriously.

I'm not talking about a scheme Honda shadow here. Take anything that's been either newly introduced or has kept pace.

Show your work.

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 09:19:30 am »

Once again I ask, what's really missing from any modern generation cruiser, consider the bike's intent and the genre's overall sales? Seriously.

I'm not talking about a scheme Honda shadow here. Take anything that's been either newly introduced or has kept pace.

Show your work.

I think the generation (boomers) that grew up thinking that HDs were big powerful motorcycles will keep that opinion until they die.  HD has them hooked without worrying about such nonsense as innovation or performance.  Indian Cheifs may grab some of those sales, but proabably not enough to be an issue for HD.  

However, younger generations don't seem to have the same predilection for HDs and bikes like this new Scout could make it difficult to spend the same money on a Sportster.  Harleys have always been more a state of mind and tend to suffer when examined objectively against other bikes.

Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:49 am »

Harleys have always been more a state of mind and tend to suffer when examined objectively against other bikes.

I'll agree with that in every aspect except fit and finish. My 2006 Sportster had a level of finish and quality that was ridiculous....in a good way. Blew away every other bike I've owned.

What's really sad is, by all accounts, HD is starting to abandon that position - particularly with the new Street 500 and 750 models.  Sad

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 11:26:49 am »

I think the generation (boomers) that grew up thinking that HDs were big powerful motorcycles will keep that opinion until they die.  HD has them hooked without worrying about such nonsense as innovation or performance.  Indian Chiefs may grab some of those sales, but probably not enough to be an issue for HD.  

However, younger generations don't seem to have the same predilection for HDs and bikes like this new Scout could make it difficult to spend the same money on a Sportster.  Harleys have always been more a state of mind and tend to suffer when examined objectively against other bikes.

I rode some of those other bikes over the last couple years (looking for a Harley alternative!), and surprisingly the Sportster does very well in comparison.  I'm a Yamaha guy, and really wanted to like the Bolt (and was considering buying...) but the Bolt is a gutless, soulless slug compared to a Sporty (or pretty much anything else over 500cc...lol).  Say what you want about it, but the Sportster works well. They have come a long way from my old Ironhead.
  I've spent some time on a 2013 Soft Tail 103 this year, and I have to say it's a helluva bike. It's smooth on the highway...like Gold Wing smooth! It handles very well until it runs out of clearance (just like a Wing), and it really gets up and goes. I could see me on one some day. With the clear plastic windscreen on it, it is super comfortable and just eats up the miles. I'm still a sportbike guy at heart , but I am much less prejudiced...lol. There is something very cool about the relaxed easy power of a Harley, and it is much easier to slow down and smell the roses. I still cruise around 70-75mph on the Harleys, so it's not like I am going slow. I am in a different frame of mind...not looking to blast through every set of twisties. LOL
 Hopefully the competition from Indian will force Harley to keep improving their bikes...but I also hope the Sportster remains a simple aircooled bike.  It has it's own unique niche, just like my Moto Guzzi.

Rattlehead

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 12:35:50 pm »

Show your work.

Not entirely sure what you're asking for here but I can certainly tell you what the Sportster is missing in comparison to the Scout:

-A decent chassis: the 'bundle of tubes' that is a Sportster frame is pretty lacking in comparison to something like the Scout. I owned a Sportster at one point, and liked it quite a bit, but that frame is just a bit too 'flexy' for any kind of serious riding. Even some of the seriously beat up roads around here had it feeling 'unsettled' even before the suspension bottoming started (which I did address with longer shocks and some tweaks).

-About 30-35 hp in the 1200 varient and a heaping crap-ton in the 883. I absolutely love the character of the Sportster engine but it's pretty much a gutless turd; though in all fairness, it is stronger than just about everything else in the small cruiser class (till now). Erik Buell did some wonderful things to that powerplant but nothing carried over to the Sporty in terms of power. Pity.  Sad  My Buell is one of the most enjoyable bikes I've ever ridden. That XB12 engine (103hp worth of it) in a Sporty would be an absolute hoot and would have it trading blows nicely against the Scout.

-about 5 degrees of lean. The new Sportsters are pitifully short on cornering clearance because of Harley's decision to only offer Low, Lower and Lowest as options. Sure, it sells well for them but it sure does make for a horrible bike to ride. The Scout is still lacking, IMHO, but it bests the Sportster by a not-insignificant amount.

-nearly an inch of suspension travel on both ends. In an attempt to get the seat height down to 'midget territory' Harley cut the shocks to barely 2" of travel (which is actually an improvement over the 1.8"  EEK! the previous Low bikes had). Take a look at the Sportster and it's obvious that it was never designed to sit that low. The area of the frame under the seat is actually quite tall, like a standard.

All that being said; I really like the Sportster (I think it's easily the best bike Harley currently offers), I just wish they would put a little money into a more modern chassis, better suspenders and some power. The Scout seems to have addressed all of my issues with the Sporty (though not fully in terms of suspension quality and cornering clearance) and it did it with a VERY good starting MSRP. Given the choice right now, with my own cash, I'd walk right by a Sportster and by the Indian.

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 12:52:27 pm »

I still can't believe they dropped the XL1200 Sportster.  That was progress, and with a few parts from the Buell parts bin could still be a better package than the Scout. Locking into the dirt track styling probably killed sales, when the entire line (besides the Low models) could really have used the decent suspension. If it ever came back I would probably buy one.  I was looking seriously at used Buells before I got my Guzzi, and I even came close to buying a 101hp Buell engine to drop in a Sporty...

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 01:06:46 pm »

That last HD I rode was a 2011 Fatboy.  I had it as a loaner for 10 days (700-800 miles).  I tried to like it, really.  It was like a pretty girl that was bad in bed.  It was nice to look at but the ride was not satisfying.

The last Sportster than I rode was a 2002 or 2003.  More fun than the Fatboy, but still not for me.  For a while I was intrigued in a 2006 Street Rod, but that passed.  I've ridden enough Harleys to know I'll probably never swing a leg over one again.    

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 02:37:47 pm »

Do I understand this correctly, that this bike is not available until December?   Headscratch

It's lemme see... August right now.

At least that gives us plenty of time to speculate about it.  This thread will be 12 pages long by the time any of us actually get to ride one.  Lol

Me personally, I think the Scout is cool.  Big twin with good power, a touch exotic, plenty nice to look at.  It's an American Moto Guzzi!  Lol And not in a bad way.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 02:47:32 pm »

I was looking seriously at used Buells before I got my Guzzi, and I even came close to buying a 101hp Buell engine to drop in a Sporty...

If you drop a Buell motor in a Sportster it will actually lose power.  Seriously.  A good bit of the HP gains in air cooled Buells (especially the XBs) were due to the design of the airbox and exhaust, which can't be fitted onto a Sportster in a chrome & tassel friendly way.  

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 03:13:29 pm »

It's actually more complicated than that. It's the Buell heads, cams, flywheel etc. There are even better exhausts than the Buell setup, and open filters can beat air box. Depends on what you want...definitely wouldn't lose power. I kind of know what I am doing...lol
 The early Buell were basically stock Sportster engines but they evolved into a much more modified and better engine as the years went by.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:23:37 pm by motrhead » Logged

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »

Open filters would lose low and midrange on a Buell, which was the best part of those motors.

st ryder

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »

I don't know much about it but, from just looking at the picture, the bodywork, seat etc just seems a lot more integrated than any Harley I've seen.

Lovely saddle color.

The bike looks sharp  Thumbsup

Except for the side stand that is.  Hurl

Best parts of that bike are the engine and the accessory choices. I'm not crazy about the frame/ground clearance. Hope the crank cases can take a pounding. I don't see any protection from bumps underneath, and that frame looks like it will flex since it really has no back bone, and those forks look like spaghetti especially against that wide front section tire.

I hope they put that engine to better use.   Smile

Regards,

Frank,  2005 Ducati ST3(Red!) (Veni, Vedi,...Ducati!)
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2014, 03:26:23 pm »

Open filters would lose low and midrange on a Buell, which was the best part of those motors.

I agree, but I wouldn't lose hp putting it in a Sporty, just tractability...still would make an awesome Sportster, and in the XR1200 would kick some Scout butt.

st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »

I have to wonder if Victory's line of cruisers will have run it's course 5 years from now and Indian will take over their cruiser market.  After all, even though Victory bikes are pretty good, they're not getting the market share that Polaris is looking for....  

You mean Victorys aren't winning?  Wink Lame name if they're not. Smile

Perhaps the Victory brand will be transformed into sport and standard motorcycles in the future.  It's a pretty cool name for a sport bike.  Polaris breaking into this market isn't far fetched, IMO.

See above. Smile

HD made 2 big "sport bike" mistakes: 1) they stopped the VR 1000 superbike project; 2) they sold MV Augusta back to the Castiglioni brothers for 1.00.

If HD had a real sportbike instead of the Buell compromise, they would have sold very well IMO.  They have as rich a racing pedigree as Indian et al other American brands, and have been in business for well over a century of uninterupted production. Best in the world/industry. Smile

Few things sound as good as a well tuned HD Big Twin coming on the pipe!!! Smile

Regards,

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »

If HD had a real sportbike instead of the Buell compromise, they would have sold very well IMO.  

By "Buell comprimise" do you mean air cooled Buells?  You know Erik Buell never wanted to build air cooled bikes that was HD's decision.  The V Rod motor was a Buell project (based on the VR1000 motor) until HD took it over.

And speaking of the VR1000, that was the probably worst run race program to ever circulate around a track.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/vr1000_obit.htm

st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 06:49:38 pm »

By "Buell comprimise" do you mean air cooled Buells?  You know Erik Buell never wanted to build air cooled bikes that was HD's decision.  The V Rod motor was a Buell project (based on the VR1000 motor) until HD took it over.

And speaking of the VR1000, that was the probably worst run race program to ever circulate around a track.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/vr1000_obit.htm

And yet, unless you have 70+k, you probably can't buy a POS VR1000 these days.  Wink

Regards,

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 08:59:22 pm »

A misprinted dollar bill is also worth quite a bit.

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 12:47:02 am »

If HD had a real sportbike instead of the Buell compromise, they would have sold very well IMO.  They have as rich a racing pedigree as Indian et al other American brands, and have been in business for well over a century of uninterupted production. Best in the world/industry. Smile

I also thought that naming a sports bike a "Buell" was a mistake, no disrespect for Eric Buell. It's just that the Harley black & orange racing pedigree loomed so large, it was just begging to be badged on a sport bike.

A missed opportunity for Harley.

st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 03:43:19 am »

A misprinted dollar bill is also worth quite a bit.

So is a diamond.

So is a race horse.

So is a yacht.

Oh wait...we're talking about motorcycles...ryyyyyyyt.  Wink

Regards,

axelwik
Um... Okay

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 900ss, ST4s, 1200 Custom Sportster, R1200RT, DRZ400S
GPS: Albuquerque, NM
Miles Typed: 415

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2014, 12:31:57 pm »

I think they may have a winner on their hands with the Scout. I'm not so much into cruisers, but it looks interesting.

One of my buddies is going to manage the dealership being built here in Albuquerque, so I'm sure I'll get to ride one.

I had a friend who ran an Indian dealership in Oregon before Indian went bust ten years ago. I rode some of the Chiefs, but they were underpowered unless some work was done. I'm glad the new ones won't have that problem.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:35:23 pm by axelwik » Logged

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
DrMikey

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: 2003 R1150RT, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
GPS: SW Cheddar Country
Miles Typed: 871

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2014, 02:52:44 pm »

Have to admit, when I saw the first pictures, thoughts like "boxy", "wierd wheels", and "entry level" ran through my head.  I took a factory tour a few weeks ago where the Scouts were very visible. They look far better in person than on paper.  I will probably take one for a spin when the Madison dealer has a demo.  I'm not looking to replace my Vintage, nor my RT, but it would be fun to rev one of them on the backroads of western Dane County...
deagle10

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09, '11
Motorcycles: 2014 FJR, 08 FJR (sold), 01 Shadow 1100, 04 FJR (sold), 2005 Yamaha Zuma (fun!)
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 272

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 02:56:37 pm »

Stopped at the Indian/Polaris dealership over the weekend.  
First, that dealership is nice.  Nicest I've seen (and I've been in plenty of nice HD ones on trips with friends).

Sales guy has all Scouts spoken for until June.  He is trying to get more, as he can't fill demand.  Not sure if it's true, but he said Indian outsold Victory in the their first year.  Maybe he meant their dealership, which I could see.  The Indians look fantastic in person.  

I have two friends that had CVO Harley's.  They were diehard HD guys.  They got so fed up with repairs to their expensive CVO's that they finally traded them in on new Indian Roadmasters (top of the line).  Supposedly bang for the buck was much better on the Indian.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal