Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2015 Indian Scout  (Read 21698 times)

coucours grad

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300
GPS: Covington GA
Miles Typed: 407

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 10:42:29 am »

only 53 lbs heavier than my VFR, about the same HP, WAY more torque, and far cheaper than any sport-tourer

they are gonna sell like hotcakes.

Nice to see someone cares about performance and weight in a cruiser.

I'm not the target audience, but I appreciate it.

Withstupid

quote author=Mrs. DantesDame   Polishing the turd does not make it any less of a turd  Rolleyes
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 12:03:34 pm »

.....It was only compared to Harley that Indian was advanced.

Then their picking up right where they left off then, huh?  Lol

I have a feeling, 100% speculation mind you, that Indian will be sort of like Victory is now; "advanced" for the cruiser market but still 'old school tech' and Victory will start moving into markets outside cruiser-dom and will be free to flex a little more engineering muscle; something the cruiser market just doesn't allow.

insert witty saying here.
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 06:10:38 pm »

I read Aaron Frank's 'first ride' story today, and Indian seems to have gotten a lot right. IF I were looking for a cruiser (subject to a test-ride to see for myself, of course), this would likely be my choice. With some shekels spent on suspension.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Advertisement

james_g

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: San Diego, Ca
Miles Typed: 476

My Photo Gallery

My bike is more fun than yours!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 10:03:17 pm »

I am not a cruiser guy at all but that is one sharp looking bike. Very nice indeed.

james

...a Japanese manufacturer might take the motor, castrate it to about 110 hp and stick it in a cheaper, heavier chassis with low-spec suspension and brakes and slice an ‘R’ or two off the name. That’s not how Aprilia roll
Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 12:29:23 am »

Every review I've read so far has been various shades of glowing about it. Inlove

It'll be interesting to see if they can move this bike in some volume despite a dealer network that doesn't yet match HD and the Big 4. I'm absolutely going to take a long look at one when they hit the showrooms. I keep thinking this bike, especially the first year of production, could be a "forever bike" for me - the kind that stays in your garage forever, no matter what else may come and go.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:34:17 am by Nodaclu » Logged

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: VFR1200, CB500X
Miles Typed: 552

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 08:17:06 am »

If it sells well, maybe it will light a fire under HD's ass to redesign the Sportster instead of repolishing the same turd year after year.

I can be found on any twisty backroad in SE OH or WV.
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 08:19:59 am »

I just notced that Indians have a 5 year warranty.  Very nice.

X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 12:35:00 pm »

I have to wonder if Victory's line of cruisers will have run it's course 5 years from now and Indian will take over their cruiser market.  After all, even though Victory bikes are pretty good, they're not getting the market share that Polaris is looking for.  Maybe some modern styled cruisers, like Victory's, to keep current customers interested, will be using these Chief and Scout engines.

Perhaps the Victory brand will be transformed into sport and standard motorcycles in the future.  It's a pretty cool name for a sport bike.  Polaris breaking into this market isn't far fetched, IMO.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 12:45:35 pm »

While I do like the look of this Scout, there's some things I can't get over.  The forks are aesthetically too spindly next to the huge balloon tires.  17" wheels would allow for a much better selection of tires, not just their Indian branded tires.  3" of suspension is ridiculous.  I'll probably be putting my FXDX up for sale as my spine isn't agreeing with it anymore and it's suspension is pretty good for cruiser comparisons.  25" seat is fine if you're 4'10".  Give me another 1-1.5" of suspension (and more ground clearance for cornering) and a 27" seat height.  27" is low enough.  4 gallon tank should have been minimum.  I know there's an airbox under it taking up room.

Overall, I think this is a winner in this market.  I like how it is more contemporary instead of the tired looking retros they've failed with several times.

If Indian had never shut their doors, they'd have certainly evolved and modernized.  Let HD continue to play their heritage game.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 06:33:08 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zny8Wdpk9Gk&feature=player_embedded

I really wanted this to be a performance standard, not a 600# cruiser with forward controls and tiny gas tank.  Seems like such a waste of an opportunity, but I guess they have to play to the market.  I'd rather have an XR1200.

So would I.  Wink

Video gets an F- for referring to Scout as Scout. Dumbassery.

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 06:34:39 am »

I have to wonder if Victory's line of cruisers will have run it's course 5 years from now and Indian will take over their cruiser market.  After all, even though Victory bikes are pretty good, they're not getting the market share that Polaris is looking for.  Maybe some modern styled cruisers, like Victory's, to keep current customers interested, will be using these Chief and Scout engines.

Perhaps the Victory brand will be transformed into sport and standard motorcycles in the future.  It's a pretty cool name for a sport bike.  Polaris breaking into this market isn't far fetched, IMO.
The new victory magnum. Ugh. Yeah. They have to be over now, right???

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Cobalt
The monkey's football

Reputation 167

Motorcycles: Something old, it's not blue, nor 'tis borrowed, so screw you.
Miles Typed: 3345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 06:38:33 am »

Then their picking up right where they left off then, huh?  Lol

I have a feeling, 100% speculation mind you, that Indian will be sort of like Victory is now; "advanced" for the cruiser market but still 'old school tech' and Victory will start moving into markets outside cruiser-dom and will be free to flex a little more engineering muscle; something the cruiser market just doesn't allow.

Once again I ask, what's really missing from any modern generation cruiser, consider the bike's intent and the genre's overall sales? Seriously.

I'm not talking about a scheme Honda shadow here. Take anything that's been either newly introduced or has kept pace.

Show your work.

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 09:19:30 am »

Once again I ask, what's really missing from any modern generation cruiser, consider the bike's intent and the genre's overall sales? Seriously.

I'm not talking about a scheme Honda shadow here. Take anything that's been either newly introduced or has kept pace.

Show your work.

I think the generation (boomers) that grew up thinking that HDs were big powerful motorcycles will keep that opinion until they die.  HD has them hooked without worrying about such nonsense as innovation or performance.  Indian Cheifs may grab some of those sales, but proabably not enough to be an issue for HD.  

However, younger generations don't seem to have the same predilection for HDs and bikes like this new Scout could make it difficult to spend the same money on a Sportster.  Harleys have always been more a state of mind and tend to suffer when examined objectively against other bikes.

Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:49 am »

Harleys have always been more a state of mind and tend to suffer when examined objectively against other bikes.

I'll agree with that in every aspect except fit and finish. My 2006 Sportster had a level of finish and quality that was ridiculous....in a good way. Blew away every other bike I've owned.

What's really sad is, by all accounts, HD is starting to abandon that position - particularly with the new Street 500 and 750 models.  Sad

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 11:26:49 am »

I think the generation (boomers) that grew up thinking that HDs were big powerful motorcycles will keep that opinion until they die.  HD has them hooked without worrying about such nonsense as innovation or performance.  Indian Chiefs may grab some of those sales, but probably not enough to be an issue for HD.  

However, younger generations don't seem to have the same predilection for HDs and bikes like this new Scout could make it difficult to spend the same money on a Sportster.  Harleys have always been more a state of mind and tend to suffer when examined objectively against other bikes.

I rode some of those other bikes over the last couple years (looking for a Harley alternative!), and surprisingly the Sportster does very well in comparison.  I'm a Yamaha guy, and really wanted to like the Bolt (and was considering buying...) but the Bolt is a gutless, soulless slug compared to a Sporty (or pretty much anything else over 500cc...lol).  Say what you want about it, but the Sportster works well. They have come a long way from my old Ironhead.
  I've spent some time on a 2013 Soft Tail 103 this year, and I have to say it's a helluva bike. It's smooth on the highway...like Gold Wing smooth! It handles very well until it runs out of clearance (just like a Wing), and it really gets up and goes. I could see me on one some day. With the clear plastic windscreen on it, it is super comfortable and just eats up the miles. I'm still a sportbike guy at heart , but I am much less prejudiced...lol. There is something very cool about the relaxed easy power of a Harley, and it is much easier to slow down and smell the roses. I still cruise around 70-75mph on the Harleys, so it's not like I am going slow. I am in a different frame of mind...not looking to blast through every set of twisties. LOL
 Hopefully the competition from Indian will force Harley to keep improving their bikes...but I also hope the Sportster remains a simple aircooled bike.  It has it's own unique niche, just like my Moto Guzzi.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 12:35:50 pm »

Show your work.

Not entirely sure what you're asking for here but I can certainly tell you what the Sportster is missing in comparison to the Scout:

-A decent chassis: the 'bundle of tubes' that is a Sportster frame is pretty lacking in comparison to something like the Scout. I owned a Sportster at one point, and liked it quite a bit, but that frame is just a bit too 'flexy' for any kind of serious riding. Even some of the seriously beat up roads around here had it feeling 'unsettled' even before the suspension bottoming started (which I did address with longer shocks and some tweaks).

-About 30-35 hp in the 1200 varient and a heaping crap-ton in the 883. I absolutely love the character of the Sportster engine but it's pretty much a gutless turd; though in all fairness, it is stronger than just about everything else in the small cruiser class (till now). Erik Buell did some wonderful things to that powerplant but nothing carried over to the Sporty in terms of power. Pity.  Sad  My Buell is one of the most enjoyable bikes I've ever ridden. That XB12 engine (103hp worth of it) in a Sporty would be an absolute hoot and would have it trading blows nicely against the Scout.

-about 5 degrees of lean. The new Sportsters are pitifully short on cornering clearance because of Harley's decision to only offer Low, Lower and Lowest as options. Sure, it sells well for them but it sure does make for a horrible bike to ride. The Scout is still lacking, IMHO, but it bests the Sportster by a not-insignificant amount.

-nearly an inch of suspension travel on both ends. In an attempt to get the seat height down to 'midget territory' Harley cut the shocks to barely 2" of travel (which is actually an improvement over the 1.8"  EEK! the previous Low bikes had). Take a look at the Sportster and it's obvious that it was never designed to sit that low. The area of the frame under the seat is actually quite tall, like a standard.

All that being said; I really like the Sportster (I think it's easily the best bike Harley currently offers), I just wish they would put a little money into a more modern chassis, better suspenders and some power. The Scout seems to have addressed all of my issues with the Sporty (though not fully in terms of suspension quality and cornering clearance) and it did it with a VERY good starting MSRP. Given the choice right now, with my own cash, I'd walk right by a Sportster and by the Indian.

insert witty saying here.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 12:52:27 pm »

I still can't believe they dropped the XL1200 Sportster.  That was progress, and with a few parts from the Buell parts bin could still be a better package than the Scout. Locking into the dirt track styling probably killed sales, when the entire line (besides the Low models) could really have used the decent suspension. If it ever came back I would probably buy one.  I was looking seriously at used Buells before I got my Guzzi, and I even came close to buying a 101hp Buell engine to drop in a Sporty...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 01:06:46 pm »

That last HD I rode was a 2011 Fatboy.  I had it as a loaner for 10 days (700-800 miles).  I tried to like it, really.  It was like a pretty girl that was bad in bed.  It was nice to look at but the ride was not satisfying.

The last Sportster than I rode was a 2002 or 2003.  More fun than the Fatboy, but still not for me.  For a while I was intrigued in a 2006 Street Rod, but that passed.  I've ridden enough Harleys to know I'll probably never swing a leg over one again.    

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 02:37:47 pm »

Do I understand this correctly, that this bike is not available until December?   Headscratch

It's lemme see... August right now.

At least that gives us plenty of time to speculate about it.  This thread will be 12 pages long by the time any of us actually get to ride one.  Lol

Me personally, I think the Scout is cool.  Big twin with good power, a touch exotic, plenty nice to look at.  It's an American Moto Guzzi!  Lol And not in a bad way.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 02:47:32 pm »

I was looking seriously at used Buells before I got my Guzzi, and I even came close to buying a 101hp Buell engine to drop in a Sporty...

If you drop a Buell motor in a Sportster it will actually lose power.  Seriously.  A good bit of the HP gains in air cooled Buells (especially the XBs) were due to the design of the airbox and exhaust, which can't be fitted onto a Sportster in a chrome & tassel friendly way.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal