Poll
Question: How do you plan your motorcycle trips?
I prefer to plan every minute detail - 3 (3.3%)
My trips are mostly planned with a little wiggle room - 48 (52.2%)
I do some general planning (direction) but otherwise its spontaneous - 40 (43.5%)
I go where the fart blows me - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 92

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Trip planning  (Read 18610 times)

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15162

My Photo Gallery

« on: September 24, 2014, 01:25:40 am »

Brought up by this thread, there is curiosity in how strict riders are in their motorcycle trip planning efforts.

What sayest thou?  

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:47:24 am »

I usually have a general idea of direction or region, but aside from that weather and whim are the rule of the day.

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
SLK50

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1274

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:15:49 am »

I'm in the early planning stages for a trip in 2016.
16 days, 14 states, 4000+ miles.
6 planned stops, 2 reservations.  ( in cities )
The remainder will be "on the fly".
Weather will be a factor in determining routes each day.
This has worked very well for similar trips in the past.
Ride, eat, sleep, repeat.
Advertisement

radlefty

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2003 Moto Guzzi Rosso Corsa
GPS: Mpls
Miles Typed: 212

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:12:12 pm »

Depends on how much time I have. I prefer to just have a general direction and change on the fly, but the last several yrs my vacation time has been either on the way out or way back from upstate New York ( I live in Mpls) where I work for 3 weeks in July. I teach bowling for a living and have camps that I have to teach either right before or after the 3 weeks of camp in N.Y.  So I usually have 6-9 days I can sneak in one way or the other. My favorite trips have been where I've had 2-3 weeks and just ridden with just a general direction. Been a few yrs since I've been able to do that.

It's alway's about the journey.... Wherever you go, there you are
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:54:52 pm »

I have to plan due to work. I look forward to that bottom option.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Yankee Dog

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 06:50:14 pm »

Although there is
Much romance in deciding on the fly it is very difficult to know which road is best sitting at ground level at an intersection.   

I much prefer to do a good map study. Experience shows that if it looks twisty on Google than more than likely it is twisty on the ground as well.
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:08:00 am »

Destination gets selected and then look for fun roads to get there.  I have a general direction and daily distance +/- 100 miles and call it a plan.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
naustin

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1411

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:52:56 am »

I usually plan the ride "there" in detail, including specific routes and nightly reservations.  There isn't much left to chance other than the watering holes.  On the way "back", I typically wing it.

Works for me and is a nice balance of making sure I hit all the roads and locations I want to see, while allowing serendipity to guide me into things I would otherwise have never found on my way home.

Cameleer

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2001 BMW 1150RT
Miles Typed: 36

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 09:04:54 pm »

Well, I guess it all depends on one's circumstances. Living in the Sandpit, I have to fly to Europe on 3 days off from work so I can enjoy my bike, which means that for me time is always the issue and cannot afford to leave much to chance.
Normally I have the whole trip planned and timed as far as route and hotels go, but once there I always end up improvising something either to shorten or lenghten the ride by getting on or off the motorways. I normally end up riding between 300-600 kms per day.
On the rare occassion that I can ride in the same area for a day or two, it is totally a random route.

"Time eventually puts everyone in their place"
www.camellero.net
PatM

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT 2016
GPS: Montreal, Canada
Miles Typed: 1004

My Photo Gallery

On the road again

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 09:17:28 pm »

It depends on the trip, destination or time in season. Also who I ride with.
Usually, when I ride alone or with my wife or a friend, I plan the roads but don't plan the stays.
My trips to Europe were planned a lot more because of the group I was travelling with.

Ride safe!
Roadhound
Concours Rider

Reputation 12

GPS: Atlanta, Georgia
Miles Typed: 140

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 10:51:58 am »

I'll usually pick out something that I want to see and that's the extent of my planning. I will spend time looking at maps and file away in my mind places and roads that might be interesting if I wind up in that area. Reservations, never, planning out gas stops, you've got to be kidding. I made a 5 week trip a couple of years back and the only thing I planned was that I wanted to see Toketee Falls in Oregon, best trip I ever made.

I'm going to the west for 6 months next year, the extent of my planning is a handful of things I'd like to see and a bunch of roads I'd like to ride. I do like the "fart in a whirlwind" technique of planning that really fits in with my thought of the perfect motorcycle trip.
APEowner

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo
GPS: Beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico
Miles Typed: 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 01:12:29 pm »

The less structured the trip the more I like it.  Sometimes out of necessity I have a destination but I prefer not to.  When I can I like my destination to be something like someplace warmer, the ocean or a mountain.    

Some of my best day rides have been when I program the GPS for home, tell it I don't want to ride on highways and then ignore it except for the arrival time while I turn on any road that looks like fun.  When the arrival time is the time I want to be home I follow the GPS directions back home.
Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 07:30:55 pm »

When I first started covering some distance, I wanted every single detail planned out. Then, as time passed, I got it down to the point of picking my destination city/town and motel/campground, and as long as I got there, it didn't really matter how or when.

When the next bike is in the garage, and I'm ready to take a trip, I'm going to try and back down further, to just a general direction and sense of the things I want to see, but otherwise just let everything unfold in front of me as it will.

Reducing the planning bit by bit has made me happier each time, so I'm curious if there's any outer limit to that. Knowing where I'm going to lay my head each night has been a big source of comfort for me in the past though, so it'll be really interesting to see if not planning that part either is too far out of my comfort zone.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
barrypz

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Suzuki SV 650
Miles Typed: 43

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »

Short rides might be spontaneous, but over 1000 miles, I want good roads to ride, good places to eat.
Last1Out

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2006 ST1300 (gone), 2009 KLR 650, 2009 Super Sherpa
GPS: Franklin, NC
Miles Typed: 230

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 07:45:39 am »

I'll plan where I want to get to, eventually, then-
Rule number 1, no GPS.
Rule number 2, no maps.
Rule number 3, along the way, stop often and talk to the natives at the local restaurants and shops, ask for good roads to get to somewhere along the route to where you're headed.

I've found people to be more than willing to point out some phenomenal roads that I would never have imagined were there. No where have I found this to be more true than in Western North Carolina. Everyone talks about the Dragon, the Snake, the Cherohala, etc., but when the locals show you their roads, you won't believe what you'll discover!
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 08:16:35 am »

I know that this is a poll, but since the title fits, here are some links that I've compiled of websites for planning trips. So far I've tried Furkot and really like the features. Granted, I'm about 10 minute into planning a trip, but so far, so good!

https://trips.furkot.com/welcome

http://tourstart.org/

http://ww1.aaa.com/scripts/WebObjects.dll/AAAOnline?association=caa&club=282&page=ITTServices

http://www.motowhere.com/

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp

http://www.motoplaner.de/

http://ridewithgps.com/

https://roadtrippers.com/?mode=plan

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 07:27:59 pm »

Thanks! I just started playing with one and it looks like it'll be a great help.  Clap

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 01:17:26 am »

Reporting back that after another 30 minutes with Furkot, I REALLY like Smile

It shows me "points of interest" along my route, as well as listing food/sleep options. Very convenient!

Member since 2003
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 09:03:32 am »

I voted 'plan with a little wiggle room', but I actually plan with quite a bit of 'wiggle' room.

Before I got a GPS that let me plan and load a specific route, I used multiple highlighters on my map(s) - Green for scenic roads, red for twisty, yellow for sweepers or the best road to get thru an area and yellow circles around points of interest.
How much color was in an area made it easy to pick general directions.  How much time I had available helped decide how far out of my way I'd go for a twisty road (or two).

I'd luv to find a way to incorporate this concept into the GPS, smartphone and/or tablet/notebook way of planning and travelling.

Furkot looks interesting - I'll play with it this winter.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 02:50:51 am »

I know that this is a poll, but since the title fits, here are some links that I've compiled of websites for planning trips. So far I've tried Furkot and really like the features. Granted, I'm about 10 minute into planning a trip, but so far, so good!

https://trips.furkot.com/welcome

I added furkot to the trip planning recources thread:

https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,78907.new.html#new

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 12:26:04 pm »

I added furkot to the trip planning recources thread:

https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,78907.new.html#new

Wow! A mod doing mod-work. Why didn't I think of that?  Headscratch   Lol

Member since 2003
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »

It wasn't even mod work. I just cut & pasted the links to the other thread  Cool

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 08:55:38 am »

Reporting back that after another 30 minutes with Furkot, I REALLY like Smile

It shows me "points of interest" along my route, as well as listing food/sleep options. Very convenient!

I played with it a bit too.  It has a LOT going for it, including 'motorcycling routes'!
But it's not perfect.   The points of interest are apparently crowd sourced.  I saw a LOT of them labeled "test".  Others were; 'bobs deck', stop, couch, view...   I didn't see how to edit or report them (but didn't really try).   I'll spend some time on it this winter.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »

Yeah, the "Points of Interest" were a disappointment to me, too. Many of the ones I clicked on had a link to a Foursquare site that then had no additional information. But that was in Romania - maybe it's different in more popular regions?

Member since 2003
mustang28027

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2002 FZ1, 1987 Honda SuperMagna, 2001 KTM 125
GPS: Concord,NC
Miles Typed: 397

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 07:07:31 am »

I look on various sites for interesting places to see, motorcycle sites for roads to ride, National  and State Parks and National Forests for info on camping. I have found that in campsites and  parks  the people in general are great and are doing the same  thing I am.  And they can  give super recommendations on things to do/see that I might not know about. Many people I  have met I connected with on Facebook and we exchange travel info and pics.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal