Poll
Question: What are your thoughts on a middle weight ST or ADV machine with hydraulic valve adjustment and shaft drive?
Love to see it - 29 (72.5%)
Don't care - 9 (22.5%)
Hate it - 0 (0%)
But hydraulic vales won't spin to 15K rpm!!!!! - 0 (0%)
I like cleaning and lubing chains. : P - 2 (5%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Am I the only one?  (Read 13172 times)

02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 50

Miles Typed: 3328

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »

I want to see middle weight ST and ADV machines with hydraulic valves and shaft drive.  

Call it what you will, but I am at that point in life where I call BS on periodic valve adjustment and chain maintenance for non-track bikes. I do not need every Nth squeezed out of a motor or a valve train that can take 15,000 rpm. About the only thing I want to do is change oil, gas it up and ride. I can, grudgingly, live with tire life at 1/8 of premium car tires even though the bike tire cost more, but hope that improves too!  

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:00:07 pm »

Clap

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:00:44 am »

You are not the only one.

But there must not be many of us. Even here, whenever a new bike is announced, it takes about four posts before someone starts complaining that it's heavier than their track bike and would keep them from playing boy racer.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
Advertisement

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:12:54 am »

I had a bike with the characteristics of a hydraulic valve motor (low red line and not a gob of horsepower) and with a shaft drive.  I loved it!  But, because it had conventional tappets, it still required required adjustments every 12k.    Sad

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:21:58 am »

I like the flexibility of chains for choosing the gearing I want. I don't mind chain maintenance or swapping out sprockets/chains once every other year.

I don't even mind valve adjustments if I don't have to remove the cams and re-time the engine. Or give me extended valve interval checks ala Yamaha.

I really tried to like the Buell Ulysses but the engine character did nothing for me (slow revving, low redline). The nearly no maintenance aspect of the Uly was attractive since I put a fair number of miles on a year, but I will gladly do the maintenance in exchange for more fun while riding (YMMV).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:19:59 am by garry » Logged

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
bajakirch

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 1998 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
Miles Typed: 379

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:05:09 am »

My first bike was an '83 Honda Nighthawk -- shaft drive AND hydraulic valves. People told me, but I never really understood how good I had it until I got a bike with conventional valves. Valve adjustment?...What's that?

A mid-weight sport tourer with essentially no drive or valve maintenance? Yes, please.
SLK50

Reputation 43

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1265

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 10:05:09 am »

I would also want liquid cooling and fuel injection.
Some conveniences are worth the price of admission.

My bike only required three valve checks in 78,000 miles.
Not an issue.

All my bikes since '82 have been shaft drive.
Won't go back to chain for a road bike.

Now if somebody could come up with a tire that
would last an entire season....oh joy!
antimatter

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 109

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 10:38:40 am »

Given that the majority of riders (and car drivers) don't take care of their machines, I think the shim under bucket approach is actually better than a hydraulic valve adjusters.  Plus, a bike with hydraulic valve lifters will be way down on power compared to the shimmed bike, mostly because of rev limits on the hydraulic valves.  I'm willing to bet that the majority of motorcycles in the US get ridden less than 10,000 miles total, so having a shim set-up means that the motor will, in all likelihood, run without problems during the entire life of the machine.  How much damage would a bike with hydraulic lifters suffer if the engine had been sitting for a long time, and a ham-fisted owner decided to rev the snot out of it before the oil had been able to pump up the lifters?

More to the point - if people had bought the Honda Nighthawk when it was available, that is what we'd have for motorcycles now.  But they didn't.  And they still don't.  What do they want?  Race-rep power, which requires either high displacement (weight), or high rpms (which requires shims).  What the most common question asked of light-weight motorcycles?  'Can it get out of the way of traffic?'  Every thread has someone asking that question, and a small displacement engine with a slow-revving hydraulic lifter engine and a heavy shaft drive will not.  In short, those types of bikes don't sell.  They didn't sell back in the day and they won't sell now.

Plus, I'm sure the OEM's don't want to antagonize their dealerships by offering maintenance-free motorcycles.  When sales lag, most dealerships make up the difference on the maintenance side, which is probably a much steadier revenue stream than the sales side.  So it wouldn't make much sense to sell the shaft/hydraulic bike from a business standpoint.

But hey, I'm commuting on a Burgman 650, which is virtually maintenance free until it explodes.  So what do I know. Lol
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 50

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 10:03:14 pm »

Plus, a bike with hydraulic valve lifters will be way down on power compared to the shimmed bike, mostly because of rev limits on the hydraulic valves.  

I have always had issue with this argument and believe it to much less an issue than is put forth by those who use it. Lets take the Nighthawk that used hyd lifters? Did it not have a redline of 9000 rpm? Maybe a shim type version of the same engine could turn 11,000, but do you really need that extra 2000 for a street bike? Additionally, while the hyd engine will probably make a bit less total HP, I would be willing to bet that the increase in torque would (for most riders) make the difference unnoticeable and might even make the bike more fun in day to day riding as it would probably pull better in normal riding.

When you get right down to it, todays "performance" motorcycle engine are tuned (IMHO) bassakwards for street riding.

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 249

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 & 2016 Bandit 1250
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2245

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 10:51:14 pm »

There are a lot of very powerful, torque laden motors out there that redline at 9,000 or less. FJR for one. And what about Motus? It has hydraulic lifters.
But, I'm not interested in this type of bike so what am I doing here!     Bigsmile

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2 VFRs & a GTS
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2850

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 11:43:27 pm »

I love my old VFRs. If Honda would bring back the gear driven cams I would likely purchase a new one. Pseudo V-TEC does nothing for me.

I don't need hydraulic lifters or shaft drive. Those are for low performance machines, and their lazy owners.
bajakirch

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 08:07:07 am »

I don't need hydraulic lifters or shaft drive. Those are for low performance machines, and their lazy owners.

If wanting to spend more time on the road and less time in the garage makes one 'lazy', then consider me downright shiftless.
Doug Just Doug
Gabba Gabba Huh?

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
GPS: Newark, Delaware
Miles Typed: 1006

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 11:39:39 am »

Wouldn't belt drive be cheaper and lighter than shaft drive, while requiring less maintenance than a chain?
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 12:24:58 pm »

Yes. I keep wondering why belt drive isn't used more often.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 50

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »

Wouldn't belt drive be cheaper and lighter than shaft drive, while requiring less maintenance than a chain?

Maybe, but I cannot get over the lingering fear of sudden belt failure. Might be a non issue, but I just see shafts (non-bmw  Lol) and chains as more reliable than belts from a failure stand point.

Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 03:59:07 pm »

Maybe, but I cannot get over the lingering fear of sudden belt failure. Might be a non issue, but I just see shafts (non-bmw  Lol) and chains as more reliable than belts from a failure stand point.

Horsepower plays a role there. I've yet to hear of a broken belt on an HD as long as the rider didn't remove the belt guard.  Rolleyes

But the Buell's? Different story. They didn't really get the belts right until 2007, and even then, backed them with a lifetime warranty.

FWIW, I absolutely loved my Sportster with its belt drive and hydraulic lifters.

I wish someone would make something akin to an 84-86 Nighthawk 700S. Something as a base platform to build a nice little touring rig out of.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, '06 Buell XB12X Ulysses, '07 Norge, '77 Harley XLCR, '99 Buell X1 Lightning, FZ750, '84XJ750, RZ350, CB350 Four, XS650 scrambler project, GL1100 , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1119

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »

Horsepower plays a role there. I've yet to hear of a broken belt on an HD as long as the rider didn't remove the belt guard.  Rolleyes

But the Buell's? Different story. They didn't really get the belts right until 2007, and even then, backed them with a lifetime warranty.

FWIW, I absolutely loved my Sportster with its belt drive and hydraulic lifters.

I wish someone would make something akin to an 84-86 Nighthawk 700S. Something as a base platform to build a nice little touring rig out of.

I have heard of belts that were broken by rocks or mud getting in the pulleys...and they are a royal pain in the butt to change. I would rather have chain.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3540

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 10:47:35 pm »

I've owned three shaft drive bikes. Having no chain maintenance is sweet. But they were all 550lb+ bikes. That matters not on the road unless you're scraping knees but it's a bit heavy for what I'd consider a good choice for adventuring far off the beaten path.

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
bajakirch

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 08:24:53 am »

On my short list of potential replacements for my Concours is the BMW F800ST (or, if I can afford it, the F800GT), and that makes use of a belt drive. I see belt drive as sort of the half-way point between chain and shaft. More reliable and maintenance free than chain, better performance than a shaft.
melville

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: BMW R75/6, Yamaha 850 Extra Special
GPS: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 09:52:11 am »

So would an Airhead BMW fit this profile if it had hydro lifters?  Shaft drive and <500 lbs as they are.  Available in ST and ADV styles, originators of both BITD.

Just asking because I didn't see a poll option for "I very nearly have that exact thing already, and it's fabulous."

Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal